Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Question about monitoring, couch, and K9 inspection

(6 posts)
  1. repulsedbybb

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 7:22:03
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I've been hoping and praying that there are no bed bugs here and the passive monitors are clear on the beds but I'm still noticing barely itchy skin reactions, especially after I'm on my couch. I have been working a lot of hours this month so while I used to be able to enjoy nightly time on the couch, I'm only able to sit on it maybe once a week. This has worried me since I live alone so if they are there, they might spread. So last night I made a point of laying on the couch just in case. (First time this week). I laid there for 45 min and when i got up to take a shower, noticed 1 large welt and some red marks on my arm. The couch is faux leather, big and bulky with deep crevices. I never had problems laying there until late January. A PCO came last week and said he couldn't find anything in either bed or the couch although he admitted it would be hard to monitor the couch. He didn't check the recliner since i never sit there. The company has a dog and the technician said that if I'm still worried, I should hire the dog for $300. Here's the problem. I have been spraying the couch with Murphy's Oil Soap and Rest Easy Bed Bug Spray for the last couple of weeks. Stupid I know but I was on Spring Break and was trying to be helpful to my situation. Both products are heavily scented so I'm worried that they will hinder an accurate inspection from the dog. Does anyone know how long I should wait before I have one come out or what I should do at this point? The PCO company is not as concerned as I am but $300 is a lot of money to risk on a potentially messed up inspection. I have checked to see if there was any info on the K9 FAQs but didn't see anything related to my situation. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Also, not that I don't trust the passive monitors but the couch has a terrible design for monitoring. There are so many places that bugs could hide and with the exception of the dark brown faux leather exterior, all the other material is black. I find crumbs and lint, and debris on it all the time. The only things I have found so far that really look suspicious are a couple of clear flakes.....at first I thought it was dead skin but then wondered if it could be a piece of a shell or casing but it wasn't bug shaped or whole, just a piece of something.

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 8:12:33
    #

Login to Send PM

The skin reactions could be due to the Murphy's Oil Soap and Rest Easy Bed Bug Spray.

I don't know about these products affecting the dog's ability to detect bed bugs. Try sending a PM to Canuck (Sheree), she's a canine handler.

3. ScaredChicagoRes

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 9:57:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I was also thinking about getting those products for my couch (like just as a back up plan for places i dont think they probably are). Are they not good? They have good reviews on Amazon?

4. Canuck

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 10:53:37
    #

Login to Send PM

repulsedbybbs - sent you a PM. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  5. repulsedbybb

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 18:43:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone!! I would love to believe that it\'s an allergic reaction but the welts show up in places that don\'t come in contact with the couch or the sprays. So hopefully just being in the general vicinity of the sprays is enough to produce skin reactions...

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Mar 25 2017 19:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The makers of Rest Easy list LemonGrass Oil and Cinnamon Oil as ingredients. These have not been proven effective against bed bugs AFAIK. Unless there's another, magic ingredient in there, I wouldn't waste my money.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982