Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Question about infant bed.

(8 posts)
  1. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 10:08:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been going slightly crazy over my son's travel crib that he sleeps in once a day and every night. It is a pack and play which goes from THIS to THIS in order to be more travel friendly. It has so many nooks and folds and little places I can't look. So I want to put it in my bathtub with the hottest water possible to kill anything hiding in any of the poles/seams/places-I-can't-see.

What temperature will the water have to be, for how long, to kill anything in there? I take the 'mattress' to my local laundromat every week and toss it in their (triple load) dryer for half an hour but they would never let me do that with the actual crib.

I am afraid i'm letting something grow in there, and the first PCO wouldn't treat it because the baby slept there (but I think the second PCO may have because it was moved and looked like something had been spilled on the shiny plastic corner) so really...... what do I do here? I would appreciate advice.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  2. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 10:46:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I know what you are talking about. I had one for my grandchildren when they came. I just can't remember how long it was. If it's not over 40 inches long, it would probably fit in a Packtite closet. I believe that would be a good way to decon it. I don't have a Packtite (but I want to get one soon), but I think it might fit.

You could also try a dry steamer on it.

It possibly could be cleaned with hot water--I imagine anything over 60 degrees Celsius (approx. 140 Fahrenheit--although it might be okay at a lower temp. like 120) would be hot enough, but for how long, I'm not sure. (I wonder if it might shrink from the hot water though).
    You could use a hair dryer to get it dry, hopefully getting all the wet places so no mold would form.

I hope that gave you a few ideas to ponder--I am not an expert but share your concern. Good luck and stay proactive.

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 10:56:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear misery,

I'm sure some of the professionals will disagree with me . . . but necessity is the mother of invention, eh?

misery - 47 minutes ago  » 
    . . . It has so many nooks and folds and little places I can't look. So I want to put it in my bathtub with the hottest water possible to kill anything hiding in any of the poles/seams/places-I-can't-see.
    What temperature will the water have to be, for how long, to kill anything in there?

I think I remember a discussion in the past from a mother that wanted to know how to treat a infant car seat that she said was infested. I *think* the "boiling water" method was discussed as an option (but I can't remember 100%) . . . but I do remember thinking that if my car seat wouldn't fit in my PackTite, I would certainly try the hot water treatment on it! (And it might have been finally recommend that she vacuum and steam it??)

Anyway . . . in answer to your specific question(s) . . . the kill temperature for bed bugs is 113° F. However I'm not sure how long it takes at that temperature to kill the bed bugs and eggs (it takes longer than the "preferred" temperature of 122° F). Thus, I know it's been stated that bed bugs and eggs are killed in one minute at 122° F. The boiling point of water is 212° F.

I have never attempted what you are wanting to do . . . but in trying to "think it through" . . . if you are going to submerge the crib in water (as opposed to pouring boiling water over every piece inch by inch (like steaming it but with boiling water)) then I would think you would need to monitor the water to make sure it reaches – and stays – at the temperatures needed for the necessary time frame. (Kind of like a washing machine . . . the water coming out of the facet going into the washer may be 130° F (I just made that number up), but it doesn't stay 130° for very long due to different variables. In fact, in my bed bug freak out mode, I would boil a big pot of water (remember 212°) and pour it into my washer (in addition to the water already in there) and then take the temperature. And if I remember correctly, it barely reached 130° or 140°, and it didn't/wouldn’t stay that hot very long)!

Of course, if you have a vacuum and steamer, vacuuming and steaming the crib is an option. (Although, I would think, the immersion in boiling water may be quicker!)

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do, if you discover any bed bugs or eggs while doing it, and what the outcome is please!

[EDITED: Oops, I was typing my response as Daylight posted hers . . . I didn't see it as we both said some of the same things!]

4. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 12:24:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a vacuum but cannot get it into the 'sleeves' of the fabric where the poles are. It's hard to explain, but there is a significant amount of 'bed bug real estate' that is out of reach. I will have my property manager raise my hot water tank temperature and try soaking it in super hot water. I plan to sit there with a thermometer (I have one of those digital things with a cord that you can use in the oven so I was hoping it would help me determine temperature, I will set it to beep if it goes lower then 120) and just wait half an hour. I figure that and a hair dryer to dry it quickly will be the best I can do for it, I was just really curious about the exact temperature it needed to be at.

I wish I could get a Packtite, or steamer. I just can't, it's not financially possible. Eventually I think investing in a Packtite will be necessary, it's unreal how many people have admitted to me they have BBs too or have had them. I have no shame for this infestation, so when people ask 'how have you been' I tell them. A lot understand. This is a losing war it seems like, unfortunately. They are everywhere.

5. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 13:24:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Misery,

I had my husband turn our water heater temperature up to 140--that was as far as he could get it. But that's okay. My washer is one of those eco conserve ones, so it kind of has a mind of its own . I put it on hot but it still puts some cool water in there.

It sounds like you're going to use the hot water method--so, I'd go with at least 122 to 130 if you can. There's a lot of surface in the tub water, so it will tend to cool off fast.

I think you're very smart and conscientious to take care of things the best way you can. You have a go getter attitude that's going to help you beat those buggers. Also, I admire ;you for telling others about this scourge--I think the more people that are aware, the better they and the rest of the world will be. So, kudos to you!!

I pray things get better for you soon. Take care and stay hopeful!

6. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 13:55:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, i'm trying to stay positive. Hopeful...... well i'm not sure but one day at a time, right! My bathtub is steel (or cast iron, it's some kind of metal) so hopefully that helps to retain the heat. I will have my temperature upped ASAP and give it a shot. Thanks so much. If there is any other advice I would gladly take it too!

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 14:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I think most rental properties are held at or about a 115 degree maximum, so be sure and test even if you're told that the temp was increased.

8. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 20 2014 14:12:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Will do! Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19