(18 posts)
  1. Icandoit

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 16 2014 18:36:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again everyone!

I'd asked this question on a previous thread but thought that I should post it again so that some professionals might see it and chime in with their advice.

Our landlord has hired Suburban Pest Control to treat our apartment. Has anyone dealt with this company? They service the NYC area. Since our LL is responsible for pest control I really didn't have any control over the kind of treatment to opt for but the PCO has told us that he's going to be using the following chemicals -

Alpine Dust
    CY Kick CS or Transport Mikron
    SteriFab
    PI Prescription Treatment Aerosol

Are these the standard products that are used in bed bug eradication? I am greatly concerned about the safety of these pesticides. I read everywhere that the toxicity is very low, but the word "toxic" itself makes me nervous. I am a cancer survivor and I've been in remission for 8 years now so you can imagine how anxious I'm feeling about all this. But more than my health, I am concerned about my children. The PCO said that we could occupy the premises after 4 hours of the treatment. Is that enough, do you think? Or should we just stay for the night elsewhere. I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about checking into a motel or a hotel at this time. I don't even feel like going out at all - I know that this is a wrong attitude but I feel sullied and contagious. I know I have to shake out of this. This is just day 5 since the discovery.

Thanks for reading my post.

2. Chipp

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 16 2014 22:17:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello friend,

I just wanted to say that I am VERY sorry to hear about your situation and the anxiety it is causing. I don't know the answer to your question but I am sure someone here will be able to help you out.

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 16 2014 23:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The product selection can work. There is no real "typical" when it comes to product selection. There are many choices to chose from and its more about how and where the products are applied.

"toxic", the word is found on a number of everyday type products found/used in our home. When the products are applied according to the label there should be no issue. You can always check in with your doctor and give him/her the product labels and MSDS info of said products. It may be more comforting to know your doctor doesn't mind the use of these products. Ask for peace of mind.

The company is a large company and should be able to resolve your issue with the proper treatment plan. Everything with Bed Bugs is about time. Only time will tell just how well things went.

The re-entry time is also enough time - Just be sure they vert the rooms (open windows) before you return. A couple of the products mentioned have a strong oder (meaning stronger then the ones that have little to none) but the 4 hour vent time should clear most of it out if applied properly.

Paul Bello Could help a lot better with describing chemicals so I hope he finds his way over to this thread.

Best of luck - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Regards,
    John Furman
    Boot A Pest, Inc.
    New York's "Best Bed Bug Exterminator" NY Magazine

4. Icandoit

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 17 2014 8:45:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Mr. Furman for your reply and your suggestions. I will make sure to check with our doctors and get their opinions too.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 17 2014 10:20:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm busy working in the field this week and will get back to this asap, I promise !

Someone remind me if it takes more than 24 hours, thanks !

Gotta go !

pjb

6. Icandoit

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 17 2014 10:53:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Paul Bello! I see your name pop up in almost every thread I read in this forum. I would love to hear your opinion and advice on this. Thank you.

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 11:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear icandoit,

Sorry for the delay in getting back but, I'm a tad busy.

The Company you've mentioned above is also connected with another in your area as they are owned by two brothers. In fact, working for Suburban, located in Smithtown, helped put me through college as worked toward being "a bugologist". Their "sibling company" is Magic located in queens.

Both companies employ entomologists and are reputable.

The list of products posted above are within reason and used by many professionals doing bed bug work across the country here in the US.

Of note is that these companies also have invested in their own dry ice making equipment because they use the dry ice for their own active carbon dioxide monitors/traps.

Please remember that, within reason, the products chosen for application is not as important as how the application work is being done.

This said, the products listed are not aromatic so we would not expect that there'd be any odor nor any significant airborne active ingredient present once the applications have suitably dried when used in accordance with label directions.

While I understand your concerns, under normal conditions it seems that you should be OK.

Please advise if any additional questions or concerns.

Hope this helps & good luck ! paul b.

8. Suzanne

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 12:42:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I grew up on Long Island and for the 40 years my mom owned her home she only used Suburban. She was never in this specific situation, but they have excellent customer service, reliability and stand by their work. Good luck!

9. Suzanne

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 13:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

and I wanted to add this - I have kids, dogs and cats so clearing out for the day was really a pain. There was one product they used the second time that had a sweet odor to it, however we just opened windows and turned on the fans and stayed out a bit longer. I think we really ended up staying out of the home for about 8hrs each time. Of course I didn't want to GO anywhere or see anyone - no movies, etc. Our ordeal was during the summer so it was a little easier to find things to do as opposed to now in the cold. If it smells really bad when you get back home, then you decide about a hotel, however I feel your pain there). Check the bedbug registry before you pick a hotel. What about a day trip to a zoo or the Hamptons (I think you mentioned you lived in NY). Lots of wineries out east - perfect way to forget your troubles.

I still feel contagious and it's been a few months. Other than a few of my daughter's friends (the first sleepover I was wracked with fear and panic) and my dad I haven't had anyone over. I was worried about bringing them everywhere I went (honestly I pictured myself like a little BB Pez Dispenser, dropping bugs everywhere ) reality? other than when we (mistakenly) sprayed the couch for fleas and few of the buggers ran to escape the fumes I never saw any actual bugs, not hanging out on me, the kids, my purse. But we took precautions when we went everywhere - clean clothes from the dryer in ziplock bags on the kitchen table - it was a few months that we all got dressed in the kitchen before we went out - and forget if one of the kids SAT DOWN ON SOMETHING after getting dressed, those clothes came off and new-from-the-bags ones came out. We picked our clothes for the week and bagged them separately. I stopped bring my bag, shoes and the kids backpacks in the house - we left them on the porch. Slowly, we have returned to a state of "normal" even though I still hate to wear my "house" clothes out. I am still paranoid that I brought them with me BEFORE I knew I had them (which is a more likely scenario - I still check my mom's room at her assisted living facility and am paranoid I brought them to work!) everywhere I went. See Pez dispenser.

I FORCED MYSELF TO LEAVE THE HOUSE for the sake of my kids. When my oldest told me she was having dreams about BB eggs I knew I had gone over the edge.

I swear to you, it's going to be ok. This is the best place to be. No judgement. Just pure info and support.

Write soon!
    Suzanne ♥

10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 14:17:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Suzanne & everyone else,

There are preventative steps that you can take to assure you're not the "Typhoid Mary" of bed bugs.

Let's not allow these little critters to entirely ruin our lives !

Learn what to do and then, just do it.

Don't the Nike folks say that ?

Have a great bug free day ! pjb

11. Icandoit

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 17:29:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Mr. Bello,
    Thank you so much for your reply. Words of advice and reassurances from professionals like you makes me feel so much better. I apologize that I didn't read your reply first before adding another post in the forum regarding chemicals. Please ignore that.

The PCO said that we have a very mild infestation centered around our bed/box spring which has now been properly discarded. He found one live bug, we found a few the next day. No bites, no sighting but we are still a day away from our first treatment.

I will keep posting on our progress. Thank you and I'm sure that I will have more questions as I go along this exhausting and life-changing experience.

Thank you.

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 17:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

OK but, I'm busy rooting for the Broncos right now !

pjb

13. Icandoit

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 17:59:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne: your analogy to a PEZ dispenser brought a smile on my face, and believe me smiles are hard to come by right now.

Thank you for encouraging me to go out and be "normal". Yesterday, we took the kids to see the Thomas and Friends Show at the NY Botanical Garden. It was the best thing we did all week ever since we discovered those horrible creatures. Like you, we have also been taking extreme caution while going out, specially with hubby and daughter as they both have to go to work and school. Fortunately, the PCO said we have mild infestation and no evidence of bugs were found outside of our bedroom. But still, we can't be careless. It's hard to live out of bags and plastic totes.

We were planning on an overseas vacation next month during the mid-winter break but now that has been canceled. No play dates at our place for a while now. And I have also made excuses not to visit friends at their homes. Maybe after the first treatment, I'll start getting back my life but for now, this is what it's going to be like. I can't believe how something like this could kill your self-esteem so easily. Suzanne, I take back everything I said about head lice! The past two years, one of my daughter's class mates often used to be quarantined for lice and as a result, letters came home from school and all moms went on a lice-alert mode. But that was NOTHING compared to all we're all going through right now.

I have a quick question for you about books - in preparation for our first treatment, we've done everything (washing, bagging) for clothes and toys etc but I'm at a loss as to what I should do about books. The PCO says clean them with alcohol and bag them, but seriously, here we are talking about almost 8 medium boxes of books between the kids and a couple more for my husband. I threw away all of my books except for my three David Sedaris books that I can't bear to part with! Then there is an entire file cabinet - I guess I will just leave them open and ask the PCO to nuke it too.

One more thing - did you tell anyone about this? I just told my brother about it and he's very understanding not judgmental at all but I've told him that he can't come to our place for a long time now, not unless I feel completely confident that we are 100% bug free. Am I being too harsh ? He has two little ones whom I absolutely adore but I don't want them to "get" anything from us. We've canceled dinner dates, making silly hard to believe excuses! But I've decided that daughter will go to her friend's birthday party next week.

Thank you for reading all this - for your support and kind words.

14. Suzanne

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jan 19 2014 20:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

ahhhh...I think we are kindred spirits as I would never part with my David Sedaris collection. It made my little English teacher heart break that you threw away your other books.

I told a few friends, my dad and in-laws (as they were supposed to come visit for my daughter's b-day). I literally sent an email that said "You can't come. We have bedbugs." That was it. lol.

My friends have been amazing, however they don't really want to hear me talk about it (which is why this site is such a Godsend) but they let me vent and rant when I needed to.

Someone on this site told me exactly what I told you - Get out of the house and do something else. In fact NoBugs just told me that again tonight. I'm glad I paid it forward. It's incredibly important advice.

We had a light infestation, really just in the couches in the living room, and we had chemical/heat treatment so my PCO just let the books stay. It is recommended that you follow the instructions of the PCO. If this is something that you cannot rationalize then call and ask them. They are providing a service and part of that is that you understand why they ask you to do certain things. There is also a product (it's on this site numerous times - one of the PCOs created it) I think it's called nuvan strips - it is a BB pesticide product that you place inside a sealed container that fumigates whatever is in there. I am sure I have read on here before that people used it for books...and it sure beats hand wiping 1239348543793 books down.

You are not being too harsh - if there is one thing I have learned through this journey is that you have to do things at your own pace. My God, it's been 5 mos and I just bought a new couch and unpacked my last box. Meet your brother at the park, go ice skating, meet for story time at the library. You need that time and don't want to miss out on your brother or his kids. You'll know when you're ready to have people over. I have to say thank God I have the most persistent and stubborn daughter - she nagged me until I let her friends come back over...first sleep-over almost killed me. But guess what, everything was GREAT!

Remember this, you are going to be ok[u]. It's just a stupid bump along the road. It's random. It's not personal. Let your kids attend things like birthday parties and play dates. You have taken precautions and it is perfectly safe for them to go. Then you go to a bar and have a nice glass of wine. I think that should be a requirement by PCOs...an rx for an adult beverage.

Oh and your lice comment made me laugh as in the middle of all this my youngest got lice (she volunteers in a nursery school)...so here we are all bagged up, sitting on kitchen chairs in the living room, the dryer running non-stop and I'm combing out her hair. Funny/not funny.

This too shall pass....BBs aren't forever. You have a great exterminator and a good head on your shoulders.

Now we just need David Sedaris to experience a BB scare (I would never curse him with the real thing) so he can write about it and we can see the humor in this whole thing.

15. Icandoit

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 22 2014 10:58:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne, considering David Sedaris was an apartment cleaner in Manhattan at one time, I'm surprised why he hasn't written any funny anecdotes about BBs. If he does write something, that would be a redeeming factor of this whole ordeal!

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 22 2014 11:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne - 2 days ago  » 
    There is also a product (it's on this site numerous times - one of the PCOs created it) I think it's called nuvan strips - it is a BB pesticide product that you place inside a sealed container that fumigates whatever is in there. I am sure I have read on here before that people used it for books...and it sure beats hand wiping 1239348543793 books down.

Hi Suzanne,

PackTite would be more reliable for books, the first paper that showed failings in Nuvan used books as the example and although it was not the most realistic of tests it did show failure.

I 100% agree that things should be treated rather than thrown but the method of treatment needs to be appropriate to the item being treated.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  17. Icandoit

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 22 2014 12:14:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear David Cain,
    I was very uneducated and ill-informed about bed bugs until 10 days ago so I had no idea about PackTite or Nuvan strips. My visceral reaction at that time was just to get rid of the infested bed right way, but we did it the correct away by encasing it in a cover before my apartment super discarded it. Also I decided to throw away my books because the sheer amount of books that I would have to physically check and disinfect was very overwhelming. So the kids' and husband's books stayed, mine got trashed.

We got our first treatment yesterday. The PCO did not find any trace of BBs while he was at our place. I don't know if this is good sign or they have just temporarily decided to hide and wait. He'll be back in two weeks for the second treatment.

Meanwhile, do you think I should start using those monitors to keep track of their activity? The only thing we've done is to buy mattress encasements for the kids' beds. We have yet to get a new bed for ourselves but since the PCO told us that we could get our new bed before the second treatment, I'm going to go ahead and order one today. Climb-up interceptors, passive monitors - what should I get? Please help. I'm still so confused. Still not getting enough sleep at night because I'm constantly waking up to check on the kids, although no one has been bitten yet. Even before we discovered the bugs none of us had been bitten so that's why their discovery came as a big shock to me. (found out while I was changing the sheets)

Thank you for all your valuable advice and suggestions.

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 22 2014 12:39:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Firstly bedbugs don't hide and come out later, if the rooms are occupied they will always seek to feed when present and hungry.

It can be a steep learning curve and although many people are now more aware of bedbugs because of the media there is still a lot to take on board as its too easy to do the wrong things with foggers and aerosols which thankfully you have not done. However there are not many short cuts to getting it right and reading in the first place is often more important than action.

I would therefore suggest you look through the useful tools section of the site and read up on what other people use, have used and get results with. My opinion is understandably biased as the inventor of one of the approaches but given that "necessity is the mother of invention" I made what I needed for my work and did so based on field knowledge and real life rather than lab experiences.

I appreciate that you instinct is to wake up and patrol to protect the children or dot eh wake up at 3am in case you chance upon a bedbug but I can assure you that having worked on this problem since 2003 the lack of sleep that this causes does more harm than good.

You have a light case by all the information you have presented and certainly from what you have described I would have personally gone for a focused green treatment in the room with confirmed activity and a monitor and react strategy in the other occupied areas along the lines of the Treatment by Passive Monitor Replacement (TbyPMR) protocol I wrote and have made available as a PDF.

They thing is that moving forward when they are gone you take the steps to avoid and routinely inspect the beds at least once a month to ensure that anything in the future is caught quickly where the impact to you is minimal.

We cant change what has been thrown out but we can leave "bread crumbs" in the hope that others stop before they do the same. I have something of an amazing collection of items that others have disposed of because of bedbug marks and there are numerous people who sleep on beds that we decontaminated and donated to social causes who would otherwise be a lot less comfortable.

Hope that helps.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,417 posts in 46,320 topics over 141 months by 20,415 of 21,254 members. Latest: spokallus, nu2bedbugs87, ndjur