Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Question about bites showing up well-after being bitten?

(16 posts)
  1. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 12:26:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, just found your site and I am very grateful for the info, especially if someone can answer my questions. I stayed at a hotel 2 nights ago, and in the morning after staying there, found bed bugs on the bed. That's a long story, but housekeeping confirmed bed bugs, and found live ones.

The day after sleeping there for 1 night, my girlfriend and I both showed no bites or symptoms. We figured that maybe the bugs were just not hungry, or 1 night wasn't enough. When we returned home, we were extra extra careful: all clothes were bagged until we got to the porch. We carefully brought the bags in and emptied them straight into the hot wash. She took a shower immediately and I went back outside to deal with the rest of our suitcase. I inspected every single item inside of it and even wiped them down. I vacuumed and shook out the suitcase, and never even brought it inside. We took every step to ensure if there were any on us, they did not make it inside.

2 days later (yesterday), we were sitting on the couch and noticed bumps popping up. They are skin colored, the size of pimples, and itchy at first but then stops. Some are in straight lines. They popped up on me in a new place every few hours yesterday. Today, 2 more popped up on me, and 2 for the first time on my girlfriend.

We have torn our little tiny apartment apart and have found nothing. Sheets washed, mattress flipped, box spring opened, couch inspected, everything. I have found no bugs, no red blood stains, and no brown waste. I read that it is not uncommon for bites to not show up for up to a week after being bitten.

My question is: would so many bites show up continuously, one after another, in the middle of the day like that? Is it possible that we were just bitten at the hotel and only are reacting now, and very quickly? It seems strange to me but I don't know what else to think, I cannot find any other evidence of bugs in my house.

I hope someone has an answer or advice. Thank you in advance.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 17 2016 23:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- you could have gotten a bunch of bites in one night, two nights ago, and they could appear now.

It seems unlikely to be from bed bugs brought home from the trip-- you took a lot of precautions. If enough bed bugs survived to give you a number of bites each (I am not clear on how many you are talking about), you would probably have noticed them. This isn't the work of one or two bugs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 18 2016 3:08:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme- thank you so much. We have 30+ bites on us each at this point, so you are right, it is hopefully not the work of just a few stray bugs we could have brought home. Today will be day 4 of being home and we will be watching to see if any more pop up.

Thanks for your advice and great site.

4. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2016 13:53:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. I am freaking out again. Further to my post above, I was exposed almost a week ago in a hotel room. I have not found any bugs, skins, marks, or anything in my house to this day (and I check several times a day). I keep getting strange bites that are consistent with bed bug bites.

I appreciate the response above on how it is possible that these bites could just be my reaction from bites that night in the hotel room, even though delayed. My NEW question: is it strange that these bites are showing up slowly? I have found new bites popping up every day, and this is now day 6 of being home. If I really was just bit up like crazy that 1 night in the hotel, can bites from that 1 night show up slowly over the course of 6 days?

I am so scared and don't know what to do. I took every precaution I could think of once I knew the hotel had bugs, and I was so careful. We never had any bug bites in this house before staying at that hotel.

Thanks all.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 19 2016 23:09:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It seems possible. We don't know a lot about bed bug bites but there is a lot of variation in how people react, when they start to react, and so on.

The alternative is (1) you brought home a large number of bed bugs, which seems unlikely, since you inspected and treated items so closely, or (2) you already had a lot of bed bugs at home, but didn't notice or react until now.

That's possible, but in either case, we would expect there to be visual evidence-- fecal stains might be the first thing you could find if you looked. A careful professional inspection should be able to find them after so many bites (more than 40 now?)

6. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 20 2016 0:33:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I am pretty confident that I did not have a bug problem at home before my trip. And your right, it just seems like if there was an infestation of this size (or any size) I should be finding some evidence, yeah? I can't find anything at all.

I was thinking about it, and I read an article about how some people react differently to bites on different parts of their body. I realized that each time a new round of bites show up, they are all on a new part of my body that didn't have them before. That gives me hope that maybe different parts of my body are just taking longer periods of time to react to bites?

And sorry, I meant my girlfriend and I have about 30 bites combined now. I may have mistyped. I will keep the post updated.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 0:19:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I was thinking about it, and I read an article about how some people react differently to bites on different parts of their body. I realized that each time a new round of bites show up, they are all on a new part of my body that didn't have them before. That gives me hope that maybe different parts of my body are just taking longer periods of time to react to bites?

It seems possible.

Good luck and keep us posted!

8. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 10:46:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I have what I believe is bad news. I just developed another set of bites on my stomach/chest. They are in a line. Isn't that strange though, if I sleep with a shirt on?

Still have yet to find any evidence in the bedroom or anywhere. This is day 8 since I was exposed at the hotel. I am really hoping I'm not dealing with the beginning of a small infestation and that's why I'm not finding anything.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 11:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you changed detergent or soaps or something that may be causing your skin to react?
    Skin irritations under clothing makes me think it's something other than an insect.

10. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 11:39:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Bigdummy- that is one of my theories. We did change body washes just before this started, to one that we've never used. It might be worth trying to change, but aren't the chances small that both me and my girlfriend are reacting?

Thank you so much for your input, it is very helpful.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 11:50:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Small chance, but it's still a variable that fits the timeline.
    Switch back to the old style body wash and see what happens after two weeks.
    Hell, it could be a combination of the two, or maybe neither.

12. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 12:38:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you think that I should be finding evidence (stains, skins, bugs) already if I've been infested for just over a week? Or is it too soon? I've read conflicting reports about how it takes weeks to notice and others who say I should be seeing stains if they are there.

Thanks again, will try switching the soap.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 14:00:26
    #

Login to Send PM

If bed bugs were biting in your home (especially so many bed bugs), there would be fecal stains. Whether you could find them easily after a week is another question entirely. This may depend on the way your home is laid out, your skill set and knowledge, and so on.

14. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 14:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

From what you're describing and the precautions that you took it doesn't sound like bed bugs to me. Too many skin irritations to be produced by what could have survived your laundering and inspections.

15. Woodman

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2016 14:42:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I finally have some good news I think! After changing the body wash, this is the first day so far that has passed without any 'bites'! I know, it's just one day, but it seems like a victory when the fears take over your life. Plus, today is the first day I noticed my other 'bites' healing! They are clearly not as red and getting smaller (maybe it's just me drawing conclusions to stay sane- but I definitely noticed improvement in the rash).

I hope my good luck will continue, and just wanted to keep you updated as a thanks for your advice. Will get back to you as time goes on!

16. Byanymeans

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Oct 22 2016 20:04:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Woodman, do us all a favor and keep us posted, even if a lot of time goes by... too often we only here unfortunate scenarios here - please send updates if you can. And rest assured, if you do have a problem, we will be here for you.

We'll all be thinking of you...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,772 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,359 members. Latest: questioning_bugger, Mikayah, maybeebedbugs