Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Question about bite locations

(8 posts)
  1. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 7 2019 13:15:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I know focus on bites is generally discouraged, but I'm trying to get a better understanding where/when I might be getting bitten (assuming is bites). Sorry if these seem like dumb questions to the experienced:

1. Where on your body are you most likely to be bitten when sitting on a sofa (center seat) or [computer] chair in a natural sitting position (but not resting against backrest)? t-shirt (tucked in), shorts, boxers, barefeet

2. Are bedbugs able or likely to cling and feed vertically on skin?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 7 2019 14:14:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Evidence of bed bugs on couches can indicate the person's prolonged positioning, it can tell you which end of the couch the person lays their head when sleeping. If someone spends hours in an upright position you may also find evidence at those points of contact. I don't focus on bites at all, but rather the physical evidence found at specific locations.

I've fed bed bugs vertically and inverted once they've started feeding on my hand or arm, so it is physically possible.

3. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 0:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 days ago  » 
    I've fed bed bugs vertically and inverted once they've started feeding on my hand or arm, so it is physically possible.

Is a feeding bedbug easily brushed/flicked off or does it have some attachment strength that would require pulling it off?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 3:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you are being bitten in a location that location will always contain one or more of the following:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

These are reliable factors, skin reactions are not.

The logic path you are on is neither helpful nor going to give you the answers you seek. I would advise you make the conscious decision to control your sub conscious influences and deal with this correctly.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 4:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Cimex acrobatics-hanging by louento.pix, on Flickr]bed bugs feeding but basically hanging by stylet fascicle in skin[/url]

thissux - 4 hours ago  » 

BigDummy - 3 days ago  » 

Is a feeding bedbug easily brushed/flicked off or does it have some attachment strength that would require pulling it off?

They don't really anchor themselves tightly but enough to continue to feed. Ticks anchor very well.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 7:42:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

I think this is one of those areas where we need to be super careful about feasible behavior and actual behavior. While the photo illustrates that this is possible the over riding feeding behavior means that its incredibly unlikely to happen in field conditions.

In fact the often see image of a bedbug feeding on the back of someones hand or arm is also unnatural behavior and they have to be pretty hungry and lab acclimatized to do it willingly.

However given the natural fears that bedbugs can trigger in some people such images send a different message to those and many of whom do not actually have bedbugs that what they are thinking is feasible and thus plausible. The longer people remain in this thinking the longer their issue will not be correctly identified and as such it only delays resolution.

While I don't keep tally I do observe enough to know that the vast majority of cases where there are skin reactions and no confirming proof they are never able to prove they had bedbugs which given the duration of some of the cases is just not feasible for it to be bedbugs and for there not to be detectable signs.

Thankfully we have found that educating people prior to booking means we get less and less assessment only (because its not bedbugs) cases although we do get surges as the weather changes with the seasons but those are also times when people appear to become more reactive to insects in general.

I am not sure that we should not have a section or post that specifically discusses why focusing on skin reaction is only going to delay the process of resolution of issues.

David

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 7:52:42
    #

Login to Send PM

thissux - 7 hours ago  » 

BigDummy - 3 days ago  » 

As noted, ticks attach quite well, bed bugs do not anchor themselves at all.
    And I agree with David, I don't think you should take too much from this information as it has very little to do with real world situations unless you sleep like a bat.

8. thissux

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 11 2019 11:11:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks all for the replies.

Just to clarify, my last question was due to a specific incident last night that caused me to be curious about the physics of a bedbug's bite.

Regarding my on-going posts, I completely understand how this looks like a case of headbugs - timeframe without evidence = highly unlikely to be bedbugs. I won't rehash the details of my situation (all in my 'Introduction' post), but all I can say is my continued focus on bedbugs is due to a careful consideration of the totality of circumstantial and symptomatic evidence, which is more substantial and complex than a "I suddenly started getting bite-like skin irritations" situation. I have read the FAQs, static resources, advanced education content and searched and read countless old threads of various considerations that have factored into my judgement.

However, I am not strictly focused on bedbugs. I have investigated other potential insect-related causes and I've seen multiple doctors -- neither of these avenues have provided a possible explanation. I'm seeing another dermatologist today to see if there is ANYTHING that they can investigate as a potential medical cause that would rule out an insect cause.

Anyway, that's the position that I'm in. Thank you for having replied to my many posts and proceed as you see appropriate. Cheers.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82