Question about behaviour

(2 posts)
  1. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 23 2015 15:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, me again I'm trying to quell my anxiety with knowledge as much as I can.

The single bed bug we found was a 3rd for 4th instar, and had fed but not too recently--K9 handler said the end only was dark implying it would have defecated soon. Area where we found it had a tiny amount of fecal staining (3-4 spots), not sure if they poop more than once per feeding or if t had fed before.

Couch and chair had NO other visible signs of bugs including faecal, but dogs indicated live bugs in baseboard and both pieces of furniture (which have both been already removed.)

Looking at the life cycle, if in a worst case this bug was "born" in our home, we've probably had bedbugs not to our knowledge for 3-4 weeks at minimum, assuming it's the oldest of the "kids."

We never slept on the couch except one night two weeks ago when I was sick, I slept on the couch for 2-3 hours...though we occasionally spend an hour or two there, we only go to sleep on the bed. But even if we've been bitten on the couch, there are no signs of fecal staining anywhere to match. And nobody even sits in that old armchair.

Is it possible we've had bugs that long and they've made no attempt to come downstairs into our bedroom? Bedroom and bed were immaculate on visual inspection and on K9 inspection. Mattress is now sealed.

I'm still holding out hope that this bug was a hitchhiker and the dogs found a false positive, and am also wondering how we lucked out if they've been with us a month or more laying eggs and yet haven't found the bedroom yet...

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 23 2015 18:41:49
    #

Login to Send PM

If you've only found one bug then it's doubtful you've had any adult females laying eggs. I was just at an apartment and the only bedbugs we could find were two male adults. The unit below this apartment had a mild problem back in October. I couldn't find any eggs or fecal staining on the beds or on the couch in this particular apartment. Just two male adults and one shed skin in one of the box frames.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams