Q for Paul Bello: Treating Garaged Camping Items with DDVP Strips

(4 posts)
  1. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 21 2015 16:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

My SO's family's home has a bedbug problem and they have camping items stored in the garage (tent, chairs, air mattress, pots, pans, etc.) I'm mainly concerned about the tent, air mattress, etc. (Not so much the pots and pans and grill.)

We don't have a lot of money for a Packtite, so I was thinking we could treat using DDVP strips, which we have access to and which would be a lot cheaper.

What would be the best way to treat these items? If we use the DDVP strips, can we just put the items in a large sealed contractors bag with the strips? Just concerned if this would be effective or not because I thought I read something about maybe needing a fan so the vapors will get everywhere.

These items probably aren't high risk, but I don't want to take any chances and err on the side of caution with these things.

Thank you!

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 22 2015 7:42:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear newbie,

OK.

You're probably right as to some of these items are not of the "high BB risk" category. So, please keep that in mind along the way.

Sometimes chemical/pesticide treatment is not totally necessary as there may be other means which you can implement to successfully eliminate bed bugs from your stored items.

Such "non-chemical" methodologies include the use of steam, heat, vacuum and manual physical removal. Any of these techniques may work well provided suitable thorough effort is employed.

You can use the pest strips as you've asked above to successfully eliminate bed bugs from these items.

The key point is that you must set up your treatment properly to assure that the bed bugs & eggs are exposed to the treatment vapors which will kill them.

Please note that this is not a difficult concept nor is there any "magic" involved.

Allow me to be crystal clear here: The simple fact is that 100% of the bed bugs that are suitably exposed to the pest strip treatment vapors will be killed.

Now, what you need to do is set up your treatment space to assure that:

1. It will be sealed (i.e. air tight).
    Perhaps you've heard that old joke: Q. How tight is a clam's ass? A. Water tight.
    Well, here, we're looking for air tight. OK? Good.

2. There will be enough "head space" to allow the treatment vapors to move in and around the "nooks & crannies" of the items being treated where bed bugs may be present. Note that head space is a term used in the commodity fumigation treatment realm. In order to have sufficient head space you cannot pack your treatment space, or chamber, such that it is packed too full which will limit the head or air space available.

3. You have enough pest strips to treat the space provided. Note that the large strips treat 1,200 cubic feet which is a 10 x 15 room with an 8 foot ceiling. The small strips can treat up to 200 cubic feet.

4. The treatment time is sufficiently long to kill the bed bugs and the eggs. Note that crawling bed bugs are killed relatively quickly using pest strips. However, it can take several days for the eggs to be killed. This is so because the eggs respire much more slowly than the crawling bed bugs do.

Below is a link to the Nuvan Prostrip FAQs which will provide additional information:
    http://www.amvac-chemical.com/products/documents/NUVAN%20PROSTRIPS%20FAQ.pdf

Please advise if any additional questions or concerns, good luck !

pjb

3. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 22 2015 11:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Great, thank you so much Paul. Didn't even think of steam, that's a good option.

Do you think if we pack the tent and air mattress in large contractor bags and leave room in the bags at the top/ don't over pack them (the tent and air mattress will probably be rolled up) that they'll be okay? Just a bit concerned about proper air flow.

Thank you!

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 22 2015 23:44:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm . .

That the items will be "rolled up" is an issue because that would create many multiple layers through which the treatment vapors likely will not penetrate or enter.

I suppose you could steam the tent & air mattress.

Pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,822 posts in 50,044 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen