Put mattress pad underneath encasement?

(4 posts)
  1. tjhooker

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 21:43:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I am encasing my mattress, mostly to better protect against allergies. (I don't have bedbugs and hope I won't ever get them.) The instructions for the encasement said to put all accessories like mattress pads underneath the encasement. Is this the best thing to do? I couldn't find a mattress pad that specifically said anti-bedbug.

I also have a Protect-A-Bed thin mattress cover too. Would it be okay to put the pad on top of the encasement, then put the cover on top, then my sheets? I'm not sure which way would be better. If the mattress pad is put underneath the encasement, it would be there for a long time. I also have a cat, so was thinking the pad would offer the encasement protection too.

2. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 6 2010 22:08:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a cat too, and have been wondering how to protect my mattress encasement from her claws. I have heard some people comment not to even bother with an encasement if you have a cat (unless it is declawed).

I was considering something similar - putting the mattress encasement, then something to protect it a bit, then a mattress cover.

One thing I am considering - though haven't gone to see what it actually looks like yet - is to put feather ticking between the mattress encasement and mattress pad. I phoned a fabric store and said I was using a mattress encasement (for dust mites - couldn't quite bring myself to tell the whole truth and nothing but.......) and wanted to protect it from my cat's claws. That is what they suggested. They said it is what is used to stop sharp feathers from sticking out of feather pillows and duvets so hopefully would help with claws too?

I'll be very interested to hear what other people have tried, or what they suggest to you.

3. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 0:09:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Aren't mattress encasements hot to sleep on? They sound uncomfortable.

4. WestSide22

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 7 2010 9:49:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I just asked our PCO the same thing. Per them, the answer is encasement, then mattress pad on top. Then the sheet on top of all of that.
    I'm also going to cut his nails every week. He doesn't love it, but sure as hell loves the treats he gets afterwards. He actually goes and waits by the kitchen for them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail