(12 posts)
  1. saythis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 10:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

okay,

i have seen about 6-10 bedbugs, I dont know if it is an infestation but i know i have them. I made the mistake of moving from my bed to my sleeper sofa - and of course they followed. i didnt know that they were so such a sophisticated foe until i came to this forum and blog. Now this is what i want to do because i live in a building with useless management; I want to pack up all my clothes, have them washed on hot and dried and then stored in ziplocs inside boxes and put into storage with a nice dusting of DE. I then want to have the rest of the house treated, exterminated, and then i will go about deciding what i can salvage because i plan on getting the hell out of dodge. I have a collection of expensive leather handbags - i store them on a metal shelf some are in dust bags, some not. Please tell me how i can treat these because i really want to keep them. I also have dress forms, and an industrial sewing machine i want to keep. How do i ensure that i have successfully treated these items? what baout cd's? books? how do you heat treat these things? should i just remove them from their cases and douse them in murphy's and alcohol? help! I am going to move and i really do not want to take any strays with me. If it means i have to move and leave my stuff i will. anyone have any experience with this?

2. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 19:11:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I have moved and no 3 months no Bugs.
    Yet let me tell you. I am Bug Crazy now and having a hard time , not being a prevent freak which is consuming.
    I mean I would rather be dead that deal with these things. In the olden days, I am sure lots of people ended up crazy, not being able to deal.
    Any how, No one answered you, so i will speak.

Wash and dry all your clothes and seal them up. Live out of plastic for awhile.
    I hand inspected every thing, ceramics, glass, treasures.I could and wiped down with 91 percent alchol. I sealed them in plastic and then in a plastic bins, taped ready to move out of my old place.

I still have plastic bins with plastic sealed items that I will not open for the 18 months.
    Books and stuff I can do with out. I have a bag of winter coats that need to go in the dryer for 2 hours before i can wear them.
    I still dread doing this..

I had the bed bug dogs
    give me the clear on my stuff before i moved out of my old apt. Oh, I got rid of 28 huge contrators bags on the first deal.

I bought a huge new tarp and covered the inside of the moving van. I moved myself because i wanted more control.

Shoes, I still have in a bag of DE. That i have not opened.

I think, I would bag as much as you don't need for 18 months.

Sewing machine?

Good luck. I can't wait to get out of NY.

3. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Aug 10 2008 18:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

dress forms--are those mannequins, or are you talking about the tissue paper patterns? Tissue paper you can inspect with your eyes in good light. If you see any things that look like boogers and stick on the paper, those might be eggs.

If you're talking about mannequins, I personally would have a PCO inspect them. It's very possible your mannequins are not infested. Your PCO can advise you--maybe the dress forms can be treated with alcohol then wrapped in plastic and sealed with tape. Then you can move knowing you have no strays.

Your leather purses--might want to vacuum them and seal them for 18 months. If there are no holes in the inner lining, then a PCO inspection may clear the purses. I had a couple of leather purses that were in great shape and I was able to inspect them, clean the outsides with soap and water, clean the insides with alcohol, and run them by my PCO to clear them.

Shoes I'm still trying to figure out. The sneakers get washed and dried. The expensive shoes are still sealed. My other accessories like belts went in the dryer and they're fine.

The industrial sewing machine is tricky. I'm sorry I have nothing to offer on that besides having the PCO advise you and spray it.

4. Mama T

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 16:21:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you thought about baking some of your stuff? Obviously you can't put a dress form or a sewing machine in the oven but books, purses, shoes, and CD Jewel cases (Obviously not the CD itself) can be baked in the oven at a minimum temp of 125 F for over an hour or so and then bagged up and stored before you make your move. I've been baking some of my stuff this way. I just keep a close eye on it to make sure the item can take it. As for the dress form I imagine it's made of wood, metal, and fabric and quite large so the only thing I can think of is to seal it up air tight in plastic and leave it that way for 18 months. Same goes for the machine if you know its infected but maybe its not so go all Sherlock Homes on it with a magnifying glass and look for evidence.

5. sodepressed

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 16:55:29
    #

Login to Send PM

can we REALLY bake leather shoes??? for how long??
    on my dryer it says do not put rubber items...isnt baking hotter?
    if i screw up my husband's $300 shoes he will be sooooooo upset.

6. BBGROSS

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 17:17:20
    #

Login to Send PM

What is this DE you guys speak about? And are you using regular rubbing alcholo for all of this? Does it ruin everything? how does it kill the bugs?

7. wonder

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 19 2008 23:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is Diatomaceous Earth, a crawling insect killer.
    Simple terms, super fine crushed up shell. A thin coat on the floor , wall, ect will cut the exoskeleton of bugs, fleas ants BB's, dehydrating them and killing them over a 48 hour period, poor things, not.

I'm a newbite, but I hope this was right enough to help!

8. Mama T

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2008 1:42:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have nothing as nice as $300 shoes but my leather things have withstood baking quite well. It's the cheep payless shoes that are thin and made with plastic that don't like to be baked. Still none of them have been ruined. I try to be consistent, baking in small batches and giving the hardier and thicker things at lest 2 and half hours. My oven's lowest temperature is 150 but as I've done more loads I've become bolder and upped the temp as high as 200, checking on things often. After things are baked I wait for them to cool and bag them with the plans on repeating this process as I unpack after I move. Maybe it's overkill maybe it's not but I've got to try. The one thing I'm to nervous to do this with is electronics. I still have no plan on how to deal with computer, TV, DVD Player etc...

9. sodepressed

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2008 6:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

still cant decide between baking and putting the shoes in the dryer.

if only the dryer does not have a sticker on it that says CAUTION do not put rubber items in the dryer...possible combustion..

ami not supposed to be worried about that?

10. Mama T

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2008 11:15:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the dryer is great for cotton, wool, and linen. I feel more control on the heat conditions in the oven because things are not being thrown about the inside chamber. I have thin cloth box's from Target that I put through the dryer that warped and sort of melted in spots so I decided to put the rest of them in the oven and they came out in a much better condition. I lay tin foil down on the racks so if something does melt its on the foil and it protects the stuff from the hot oven racks. It's just stuff if I end up ruining anything I just keep repeating as my mantra It's just stuff. That would have been very hard for me two months ago but it's getting easier. If you're that worried about ruining it sodepressed just quarantine it for 18 months and live without it knowing eventually you can have it back.

11. bbarebad

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 22 2008 14:41:12
    #

Login to Send PM

what have other people done about computers and tvs....i know remote controls can be put in the freezer (at least I heard this works) but tvs and computers cant, and wouldnt it be a shame to get rid of everything but have just one stupid bug in your computer? maybe ill clear my freezer of food and put that in there too

12. mhill0425

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 22 2008 22:28:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have a dress form that i have to deal with, and a sewing machine, and more fabric than i know what to do with....

Would putting some of this stuff in my car on a nice hot sunny day(and then leaving it for a while) work?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982