(4 posts)
  1. Sirtulip

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 31 2015 2:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/bedbugs/control.php

From what I read, sounds like this page is okay.

Seems like they've released stuff on other pests as well.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 31 2015 9:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs have weak, flexible, piercing-sucking mouthparts, and weak, simple feet (tarsi), and claws. They are incapable of chewing or clawing through even a very thin coating of sealant or an unbroken layer of paper or cloth.
    Yes, what is said is true in that the bugs don't use the tarsi for digging or their mouthparts for digging, but stating that those 2 structures are weak is actually not the word they should have used. The stylets in this photo happen to be the only way that these insects are attached to me since they are not holding on with their tarsal claws. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/7078462715
    Insect growth regulators (IGRs) have virtually no effect on vertebrate metabolism because of their mode of action and low application rates, when applied properly, but they are very effective against bed bugs, impeding their development and fertility.
    There is actually much debate on whether or not certain IGRs work against bed bugs at the listed label rates as they do for cockroaches. At this point, I don't believe IGRs are readily included in a bed bug remediation regime.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Sirtulip

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 31 2015 21:45:32
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 11 hours ago  » 

Bed bugs have weak, flexible, piercing-sucking mouthparts, and weak, simple feet (tarsi), and claws. They are incapable of chewing or clawing through even a very thin coating of sealant or an unbroken layer of paper or cloth.
    Yes, what is said is true in that the bugs don't use the tarsi for digging or their mouthparts for digging, but stating that those 2 structures are weak is actually not the word they should have used. The stylets in this photo happen to be the only way that these insects are attached to me since they are not holding on with their tarsal claws. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/7078462715
    Insect growth regulators (IGRs) have virtually no effect on vertebrate metabolism because of their mode of action and low application rates, when applied properly, but they are very effective against bed bugs, impeding their development and fertility.
    There is actually much debate on whether or not certain IGRs work against bed bugs at the listed label rates as they do for cockroaches. At this point, I don't believe IGRs are readily included in a bed bug remediation regime.

That is a cool photo. In a creepy sort if way . I heard on bed bugger that igr don't work well either. So maybe the document is dateed.

4. Sirtulip

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 31 2015 21:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 11 hours ago  » 

That is a cool photo. In a creepy sort if way . I heard on bed bugger that igr don't work well either. So maybe the document is dateed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45