Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Purchasing a vacuum: need advice regarding bedbugs

(13 posts)
  1. peppy

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 12:10:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am in the process of purchasing a new vacuum and am deciding between bagged and bagless models. I am wondering if anyone has advice on which would be easier to disinfect if I were to end up with a bed bug infestation. Is it smarter to get a bagged vacuum because I can simply put the bag in a ziplock and discard, or is a bagless vacuum a better idea because it is easier to clean? If anyone has thoughts on this, I would love to hear them!

2. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 12:47:39
    #

Login to Send PM

This isn't a comprehensive reply - just one tip from our situation.

Factor in the cost of the replacement bags when you are picking your vacuum cleaner because with bedbugs the recommendation is to replace the bag each time you vacuum.

We have a Kenmore Upright Special Edition HEPA vacuum and the replacement bags are $5.00 each.

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 14:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the small simple eureka mity mite boss 12 amp canister. Cheap & ubiquitous.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 14:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The simplest solution is to actually use a stocking or tight with a thin weave and insert it toe end into the cleaner hose.

That acts as a primary bag to contain anything and makes sure that nothing can enter the vacuum cleaner in the first place.

I personally prefer bagless though as there is no loss in suction.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 18:57:56
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 8 months ago  » 
    I like the small simple eureka mity mite boss 12 amp canister. Cheap & ubiquitous.

Cilecto (or anyone else who would like to comment),

Is that still your current fave, and do you know of any retail establishment here in NYC that carries it, such as perhaps BB&Beyond.

Have you routinely done the stocking trick with it. Do I understand that you just put the toe end of the nylon stocking into the front of the hose – not between the hose and the body of the vacuum, is that correct.

So then after using each nylon stocking you could save up a bunch of them in a big ziploc as long as needed, couldn't you, until you could put them through a PackTite and thereby be able to re-use the stockings, all without any worry bb's might get into the vacuum itself.

The eureka mity mite boss 12 amp is a vacuum cleaner with a bag, evidently. (I don't know nothin' about vacuum cleaners, can you tell.) Do you have a recommended favorite bagless model.

6. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 19:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

would putting a stocking on the hose also help protect the vacuum cleaner against DE or is it too fine?

7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Aug 25 2011 19:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a mity mite for general use and like it for that purpose. It's available at bbb and many other stores. It does not have a powered carpet brush, so it's best on bare floors. I've not done the Sheperdigian knee hi trick with it. When I had my BB issue 3+ years ago, I used a knee hi with a small samsung bagged canister and turned up zero. The infestation seemed lighter than I feared. I would think a stocking is useless to protect against DE.

8. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2011 9:38:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Another dumb question....if the stocking is at the intake end of the hose I guess you would have to keep it running continuously throughout the whole session....if the bedbugs were that close to the nozzle couldn't they run right back out again?

9. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2011 9:47:28
    #

Login to Send PM

bbgirl - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Another dumb question....if the stocking is at the intake end of the hose I guess you would have to keep it running continuously throughout the whole session....if the bedbugs were that close to the nozzle couldn't they run right back out again?

Not a dumb question at all. Is the answer to use as long a length of stocking as possible, stuck way down in the tube so the bugs have a maximum distance to travel if they attempt to climb out.

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2011 13:44:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think that wherever you place it, you should remove & examine it once you turn off the vac.

11. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Aug 26 2011 14:38:35
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 53 minutes ago  » 
    I would think that wherever you place it, you should remove & examine it once you turn off the vac.

Ah, thanks cilecto, I was just about to ask you, or anyone who would wish to comment, a question related to that.

When you take the stocking out of the front of the vacuum hose, can you see any bugs that are in the stocking? Let's say you've just vacuumed something which doesn't have a lot of dust or debris or whatever in it, just a few bugs. So now you're finished vacuuming and you take the stocking out since of course you don't want to leave it in there while it contains bb's which might pretty soon escape. You're either going to dispose of the stocking or, say, put it in a ziploc so you can PackTite it later and then be able to reuse the stocking (stockings don't cost much but over time they would add up so why not have a mode by which you can throw successive ones into a single ziploc and eventually PackTite the ziploc and its contents so you can reuse the stockings – especially if you have a PackTite around anyway).

Let's say you caught five immature and two adult bb's and very little else so there isn't a whole lot of stuff inside the stocking. Presumably you would be able to *see* all seven of the bugs in the stocking, right?

(And as an aside, they would likely all be in good health, is that correct, the process of going through the vacuum not being per se injurious to them.)

The reason I'm asking is that sometimes it's desirable to get feedback of this nature so you can be assured the effort you've been devoting is bringing results and is worth your time. If you can see you've now taken seven bb's out of commission you know this process is worth making a regular part of your routine.

12. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Aug 27 2011 21:32:27
    #

Login to Send PM

JR, the knee-hi technique was highlighted in the following thread:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/mark-sheperdigian-on-vacuum-cleaners-and-the-knee-hi-technique
    It's based on an article by PCO Mark Sheperdigian.
    http://www.mypmp.net/pest-mgmt-content/the-vacuum-cleaner-effect

It's also in the Michigan Guide (on the Resources page).

13. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Aug 28 2011 2:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Cilecto thanks for all the helpful references you've provided to the threads and Sheperdigian articles and Michigan guide section, plus the recommendation for the Eureka Mighty Mite Boss 12-amp canister vacuum cleaner which I've now bought at "Bed Bath and Beyond" on 6th Avenue at 18th Street where they have a pile of what looks like a hundred of them (which confirms they must be really popular); and the knee-high technique.

The knee-high technique is great and should become the standard for everyone to use in my opinion because you don't have to worry about bugs getting into the works of your vacuum cleaner, plus the knee-highs are cheap and, if necessary, disposable (if you don't want to bother saving multiple ones in a ziploc and eventually PackTiting them so you can reuse them), some of them costing as little as 50 cents each.

For the knee-highs, do you know or does anyone else know of a type of sheer nylon that gives a good view of any bb's caught? I bought a whole bunch of different knee-highs and haven't had the opportunity to vacuum up any bb's yet but all the knee-high's seem to be fairly opaque so once they have bugs inside, the bugs won't be very visible at all, especially not the tiny beige-colored/translucent first-stage unfed nymphs. That includes sheer knee-high's and "nude" and "white" and "off-white" and "ivory". There's no such thing as a "clear" knee-high is there? Ideally it should be something where you can watch the bb's inside it practically the same as if it were a ziploc-type bag.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,826 posts in 49,816 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316