Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Psychological effects of bedbugs

(6 posts)
  1. Sleeping with the Enemy

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2014 2:35:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have never had them before. I'm 50 yrs old & disabled. Has to move into public housing while praying my SSDI is approved. Moved in in March & already have an infestation, 1st ever in my life. I'm sick at my stomach, can't sleep, see things, feel my skin flinch & I come flying off the chair I know sleep on.
    Several people in my building have committed suicide. They can't get rid of them. They keep coming back. They "didn't have any" when I moved in. Didn't take but 2 1/2 months to start getting bit.
    I can't do the "work" involved in getting rid of them. My building has their own employee whose the bug guy. Yet they can't get rid of em and no ones doing anything about this! They keep doing the same treatments & expecting different results!
    I can't lift anything over 20 lbs. I can't use my right arm overhead. I suffer from several medical & psychological conditions and this has thrown me over the edge!
    Te building is old, pipes sticking out of the wall not even sealed! I can't get up there & do it... I can't afford to buy caulk & stuff as I have no income at all while I wait for Soc Sec...
    When I moved in, the manager told me about several people who jumped out of their balconies. It never occurred to me why, until now... Now I know why they did!
    It would be hard enough I shower dress & leave the apt just to get out of the house and try to lessen the stress, but how is a disabled person up posed to do this without sitting on any furniture before leaving the apt?
    I just read an article where someone stalked this site a few years ago attempting to identify post traumatic stress disorder & the effect active infestations have on them. I have PTSD & have had it long before these bloodsuckers arrived. Some folks may handle it ok. No one in this public housing bldg is mentally or physically equipped to handle such terror on a nightly basis.
    I live in a studio apt. My living room IS my bedroom. My bed sits right over there. I have to look at that stripped down mattress every minute of every day!
    The bug guy sprayed around my mattress, probably 20-25 bugs, on top of the 7 I already killed. He's supposed to come back sometime next week, I'm 4th in line behind the other 3 apartments that caught it before me. Took em 3 days to come check. No wonder they can't get rid of em!
    I can't tell anyone. Only my sister. She won't come into my apt. I have no help. Nobody cares!
    This window looks better & better every day! As I know the terror each day holds. I don't sleep at night AT ALL!!! Can't sleep til the sun comes up. And I'm gonna cause the infestation I spread because I can't sleep in my own friggin bed!
    I am Sleeping with the enemy!

2. JustChecking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2014 3:42:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very sorry that you are going through this, Sleeping with the E. Hugs to you (hope you don't mind).

Take some deep breaths. Drink a cup of tea or warm water for comfort.

Our hostess has the following note for you:

Sometimes people tell us they are feeling suicidal because of bed bugs. We are not equipped or trained to offer counseling here.

If you are feeling suicidal or thinking of harming yourself, now or in the future, please tell a professional and get help immediately.
    Call your doctor (or therapist, if you have one).
    Or go to an emergency room.
    Please do not ignore it or try to deal with it on your own.

You can also call a hotline. In the US, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK.

Anyone (worldwide) can email or phone the Samaritans. They have branches in various countries and are highly regarded and can help you by giving you a space to talk. They can also help direct you to local resources.

Please see the rest of the important message here.

You are not alone. There are people who have been going or had gone through what you are experiencing. Be strong.

JustChecking, not a therapist / bug pro
    Please click my user name on the left for these threads:
    (OR go through my thread starter list OR use the search engine)
    --->stress busters --->energy boosters
    --->songs of hope and faith --->help U sleep tonight
  3. ann1112

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2014 14:01:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there, I have no knowledge about bedbugs (that's why I came to this site, to find help) so I can't really offer you any advice about how to help with the bugs. However, I read your post and my heart truly goes out for you. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! It may take longer than you like, but things will eventually get better. I don't know if your property manager would allow it, but maybe try contacting an outside source about the bugs? Perhaps contacting the local health department or social services (not sure if that's the correct term) and they could have some further action be done. If you are living in a building where you don't think the residents are physically or mentally able to handle this it becomes a matter of safety and health for people, I would say try doing research about outside resources that could bring about change. Maybe the property manager doesn't try different treatments because he/she is trying to take the cheapest route. Getting someone in their to fight for the residents could help.

Is moving somewhere else an option at all for you?

Hang in there! You will get through this!

4. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2014 20:53:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Several people in my building have committed suicide. They can't get rid of them.

wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, here

hold on a minute, are you absolutely certain of this? because this is beyond serious and this would have gathered major media attention

I'm 50 yrs old & disabled.

yeah me too, lost the use of my legs because of a spine injury, and I'm 49 actually (I've decided I'm gonna be 49 for awhile now)

so just so you know other disabled folks have been through this, some periods in my life were pretty bad like going to the food bank, stuff like that

I can't lift anything over 20 lbs. I can't use my right arm overhead.

yeah, that's a drag, I got a major cervical stenosis (on top of the other spine injury) so I'm pretty much in the same spot

I was able to fight off a major infestation, I'm certain you can too

but how is a disabled person up posed to do this without sitting on any furniture before leaving the apt?

you know what buddy, sit on the furniture, sit on the god darned furniture all you want, don't worry about it, you gotta do what you gotta do

I can't tell anyone. Only my sister.

oh you got a sister? lucky you, I ain't got a single relative..., too bad she won't help you however

Nobody cares!

I care.... and the other folks who posted above care also

sure bed bugs can cause huge psychological stress (from hell) I know. But in the end they are just very small insects, sure they bite, but they won't give you any disease, they won't poison you

being in a complete state of physical pain and mental pain changes nothing, so why not try to come out of that a little bit?

1-800-273-TALK

call this, tell em all about it

you are WAY stronger than you think you are, anxiety is fooling you into thinking you are not, remember that

I am Sleeping with the enemy!
    the enemy right now is your outlook at this, you need to change that

are you located in the USA?

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  5. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2014 21:06:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The moderator from the site may close the thread because of the suicide mention and the suicide ideation.

You can start another thread anytime, a lot of experts are on this board and they will help you.

PM me anytime.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jun 29 2014 23:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleeping with the enemy,

I am really sorry you have bed bugs and I am glad you found this site. I think you will find people can be very helpful and supportive.

However, per the site's Forum Rules,
    the site's policy is that posts with suicidal ideation will be closed and the user referred to professional help and other resources. You can read more about the reasons for this policy in the Forum Rules.

JustChecking already referred you to the thread, "If you are feeling suicidal or anxious". I am reposting its message below:

If you are feeling suicidal or thinking of harming yourself, now or in the future, please tell a professional and get help immediately.
    Call your doctor (or therapist, if you have one).
    Or go to an emergency room.
    Please do not ignore it or try to deal with it on your own.

You can also call a hotline. In the US, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK.

Anyone (worldwide) can email or phone the Samaritans. They have branches in various countries and are highly regarded and can help you by giving you a space to talk. They can also help direct you to local resources.

Suicide: Read this First may also help.

In addition to depression and suicidal feelings, a number of people have suffered from anxiety due to bed bugs.

In this case also, please seek a professional counselor's input. We have heard from a number of Bedbuggers that speaking to a professional can really help. If you are on a limited budget, your doctor should be able to help direct you to resources with no fee or a sliding scale.

We understand the stress and hardship this problem can cause, but if you have bed bugs, you can get through it and you will enjoy life again.

As endless_nightmare noted, please do feel free to start a new thread to talk about and get more feedback on the bed bug issue. We do want to be supportive, but I hope you will understand the reason for this procedure.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111