Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Proving to HR that they're gone -- Dogs vs passive monitor?

(8 posts)
  1. buggymcgee

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 12:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

We have been treated twice for a relatively small infestation (in the base boards behind our bed, mainly -- we had small nest, I think, on the BB cover, and saw some evidence in our sofa and hamper area, as well). I've had a few bites that I can't say with complete certainty are not BB bites (I'm only very mildly allergic, and there are still mosquitoes here in Brooklyn) but my husband, who is very allergic, hasn't had any welts since a day or two before our first treatment (now 3 wks ago). So, we are tentatively assuming they're gone, although we're not unpacking our clothing yet.

My HR department quarantined me after I disclosed, and hired a K9 to inspect the office, which did find BBs on my chair and in a bag of recycling in my office, as well as eggs in cardboard in two other areas of the office (I actually think, given the way things went, that I likely got them from some cardboard there, and took them home, but who knows?). They have also asked me to hire a K9 to inspect my apartment. Having already sunk over $1,500 into our fight, I am not inclined to spend another $200+ on this.

We bought a BB Beacon, and -- at the risk of igniting a fight between the K9 enthusiasts and their skeptical counterparts -- are seeking the advice of the Bedbugger experts. Is the monitor good enough and if so, how many, how long, etc? I know there is a lot of division on this topic and I do not mean to inflame it, am just wondering if there is some info I can send to my HR dept to avoid spending a bunch more money on this.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 12:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes it could go up in flames but the reality is that its not opinions you need but approval from HR as to what method they will accept.

I often say to forward thinking companies that having staff monitor at home can avoid an infestation in the office and certainly when we work with hotels the advice is monitor the rooms and the staff homes.

The K9 may give them the immediate answer they are looking for but Passive Monitoring will give both you and the company ongoing assurance that there is no issue.

If they have a monthly or quarterly K9 screen of the office which I know is becoming more common in the US then weekly checking with Passives acts as the detection between K9 visits which becomes the QC of the other system.

I guess the nutshell is that I am not anti K9 I am anti lazy handlers for not training well and not visually confirming any and all alerts.

To answer your question of how many and how long, 1 correctly placed per bed and if clear for 7 - 14 days I am confident that you can say you don't have bedbugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 12:59:40
    #

Login to Send PM

What about the office chair? Do you have pictures of recommendation for a chair with four rolling wheels? I've thought about doing that at work for my main desk.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 13:42:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi TOAT,

All our office chairs have 5 wheels but the principle is the same, namely front leading edge as you sit on it close to the backs of your knees as int he image below:

officechair

Hope that helps.

David

5. buggymcgee

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 14:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I made a mistake here -- we actually bought an active monitor, the BB Beacon (for that matter, we have climb-up interceptors too, and have seen nothing there, either).

I did read about the difference between the passive and active, and see that active are better in instances where they're not attached to an active resting area, but could the Beacon work if placed between our bed and sofa (which are only about 4 ft apart -- yes, we do live in NYC ;)?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 14:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The bedbug beacon is a good efficacious product but it works best when deployed in an area where there is no competing CO2 signal. If you ran it in a room where you slept I could not be as confident about the result and you should look at a different ways to monitor.

Insect interception is not Passive Monitoring it is interception and will only work in identifying bedbugs that either come towards the bed or ones that leave the bed (why a bedbug would defy logic and leave the bed is still a mystery to me given that they want to reside close to people).

Hope that helps.

David

7. buggymcgee

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 15:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Very helpful, thanks David -- you must be getting carpal tunnel from all your forum time!

I'm going to buy some passive monitors too, then (and HR did already respond that she is fine w/this in lieu of dogs, though she insists now that I wait 2 wks per your advice to be absolutely sure) and post them on the bed and the sofa. Any tip on where to place on the sofa?

And one other thing -- if we have climb ups on the feet of the bed, will a passive monitor on the bed frame work? What if they are still in the walls but can't get up there?

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 1 2012 15:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

buggymcgee - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Very helpful, thanks David -- you must be getting carpal tunnel from all your forum time!

No but I do get dizzy at times from going round and round in circles, LOL. I also miss my bed at times but I tend not to finish in the office till 11:30pm.

I'm going to buy some passive monitors too, then (and HR did already respond that she is fine w/this in lieu of dogs, though she insists now that I wait 2 wks per your advice to be absolutely sure) and post them on the bed and the sofa. Any tip on where to place on the sofa?

Better to agree with HR that you will take supreme precautions such as outlined int he FAQ's for 2 weeks and work as normal. If you let bedbugs run your life they have won.

The best place to place a BB Beacon in a sofa situation is in the most occupied seating position on the cushion you would normally sleep on. Bedbug are more likley to be trapped if they usually associate the area of the trap with a food source.

And one other thing -- if we have climb ups on the feet of the bed, will a passive monitor on the bed frame work? What if they are still in the walls but can't get up there?

Yes a Passive Monitor on the bed frame will still work in detecting bedbugs that get around the isolation or the ones that are already there. The isolation may slow down detection (although the others don't all agree with my avoidance of isolation and how bedbugs can circumvent it).

However they are highly unlikely to be in the walls, they could pass through from a neighbour but as for actually living in the wall voids most of that is 99% down to a NY area company who are highly likley to be paid to encourage people applying products to wall voids and outlets. The other 1% is down to the idiots that still believe in their protocols.

David

PS having an early night now so shorter replies till I am back in the office tomorrow.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982