Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Protect-A-Bed: terry top less susceptible to kitty claws?

(7 posts)
  1. O Buggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 9 2010 6:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to buy a mattress encasement, but I need to minimize any damage that my cat's claws might do to that $100-plus investment.

So, would a terry top Protect-A-Bed be that much more more for an errant claw to get through far enough to poke a hole? (The cat doesn't sharpen his claws on the bed or anything, but it is where he sleeps.) Would I be better off putting the $18 difference in price towards an inexpensive mattress pad to put on over the encasement?

Thanks.

2. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 9 2010 7:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds like a plan - put the cheapo one over the good one. I have 2 good boxspring covers on so there are no "rip" issues when I dismantle the bed to inspect. Which I do - a lot.

3. O Buggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 9 2010 16:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Bugnut.

Now I just have to wait for my Inner Insomniac and my Inner Skinflint to finish duking it out over whether to get the terry-topped one anyway.

4. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 9 2010 17:52:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the mattress pad idea is a great one for people with kitties. If I still had cats I'd get the design that is like a fitted sheet (to protect the sides), sturdy enough that the claws can't get through, and able to be popped in the dryer to be de-infested in need be.

This sounds to me like an addition to a FAQ for cat people.

Eve

5. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 9 2010 19:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Also don't forget about the possibility of clipping your cat's claws regularly.

Softpaws are these little caps that go over the claws to blunt those sharp pointy claw ends. However, the Soft Paws can and do work their way off.

If your cats will tolerate it (read: if you can do so without being shredded by angry cat), clipping their claws every five days while you're using encasements will also help substantially.

(Incidentally, in addition to how easy it is to tear a cheap encasement, for me, the challenge of keeping my cat from poking holes in an expensive encasement for a full 18 months? Was one of the reasons I was pretty sure that encasements would be of very limited use in my situation.)

6. O Buggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 9 2010 20:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 14 minutes ago  » If your cats will tolerate it (read: if you can do so without being shredded by angry cat), clipping their claws every five days while you're using encasements will also help substantially.

So, in addition to high-end encasements, ziplocs by the pallet-load, and massive quantities of alcohol I can't even drink; I get to add extra kitty treats for post-claw-clipping reward and placation to my shopping list.

(And maybe I should throw in a little cheese to go with this whine... )

7. California Iris

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 11 2010 1:49:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I got the terry mattress encasement and immediately returned it when I realized how what a good bedbug habitat it provided. All those nook and crannies, they must love it!

So then I tried the smooth cover and hated it. I used it, but it made me hot and sweaty despite the promises in the advertising material. Plus it has a very strange slippery feel. But sweaty was better than bitten, so I stuck with it.

Finally I realized that I could put my old mattress cover over the encasement. Perfect, I'm comfortable again, and I can throw the removable cover in the wash whenever I want. I don't know how you'd wash the terry encasement, you'd be letting all the BBs out of their jail and you'd be reinfested.

So cat or no cat, I recommend the "smooth" encasement with a normal mattress cover.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982