Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Protect-a-Bed Smooth vs Terry Cloth mattress encasements?

(7 posts)
  1. Cassandra

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 23 2010 22:05:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Do you have any input on whether I should choose the Protect-a-Bed Smooth or Terry Cloth mattress encasements? (This is for bed bug prevention, btw)

Thanks

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 23 2010 22:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the smooth.

3. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 23 2010 23:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Originally I had put on the cheap vinyl ones (not protect-a-bed) because I wanted something immediately. Besides ripping within days, they felt just awful as you could hear the plastic as you slept, plus they were hot. I got the protect-a-bed with the terry cloth top because I didn't want to sleep on plastic, but I think the terry cloth could possibly be more attractive to bed bugs thana smooth top. KQ, is that why you recommend the smooth top ones?

4. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 23 2010 23:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, they do come in different sizes. For instance, I've got a mattress with a pillow top that is 13" deep, which means that I can't use the smooth because they don't come that big. On the other hand, if you've got a mattress that needs flipping, the smooth one would be better since the terry only has it on the top. Also, the smooth ones are about $50 cheaper (at least in Canada)

5. Cassandra

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 24 2010 14:43:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Callisto - 15 hours ago  » 
    Well, they do come in different sizes. For instance, I've got a mattress with a pillow top that is 13" deep, which means that I can't use the smooth because they don't come that big.

The Smooth does come in a 13" depth.

6. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 24 2010 16:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Should've clarified, I've got a twin mattress. They don't make 'em that deep in a twin

... Or at least they don't sell them that deep in he magical land of Canada. *laments inability to purchase packtite*

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 25 2010 22:11:32
    #

Login to Send PM

MyWorstFear - 1 day ago  » 
    Originally I had put on the cheap vinyl ones (not protect-a-bed) because I wanted something immediately. Besides ripping within days, they felt just awful as you could hear the plastic as you slept, plus they were hot. I got the protect-a-bed with the terry cloth top because I didn't want to sleep on plastic, but I think the terry cloth could possibly be more attractive to bed bugs thana smooth top. KQ, is that why you recommend the smooth top ones?

No, not really. If you have bugs making it to the bed after you put an encasement on .. you have bigger problems then the encasement alone. Just a personal preference really.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,922 posts in 50,063 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned