Proof bed bug spray vs Eco defense bed bug killer

(7 posts)
  1. pglegjig

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 1:30:21
    #

Login to Send PM

has anyone out there used either one of these products? the Eco defense has the best reviews and is #1 on the list as most effective. but also hearing very good things about Proof and i really like their "rag in a bag" process. Also wondering if their Eco can be used same as Proof "rag in a bag"
    Can 2 different products be used as well?
    I have been treating with JT Eaton products and the problem is just intensifying. I believe i have been thorough but i will make more of an effort here on out...
    Thoughts?

2. jldevlin

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 3:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

inspect bed frame and coat heavy in DE, put sticky paper under every electircal outlet and phone jack outlet in rooms, squish the buggers when you see them, put DE all over under the bed and around the bed frame, they get one bite then die,,,so far so good for us

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 6:00:47
    #

Login to Send PM

jldevlin - 2 hours ago  » 
    inspect bed frame and coat heavy in DE, put sticky paper under every electircal outlet and phone jack outlet in rooms, squish the buggers when you see them, put DE all over under the bed and around the bed frame, they get one bite then die,,,so far so good for us

Bad advice! Over application of DE or any product will cause repellency. Products need to be applied properly to work correctly. You need bugs to commit and come into contact with products. What you describe pushs bugs deeper into personal belongings or into other rooms and or adjoining units.

A lot of my work is done behind failed treatments and many times its behind home owners that have created a mess and even bigger problem as you describe.

As for the OP - I can't comment on the two products as I have not personally tried them. Good luck!

4. sleeplessinShelbyville

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 1 2016 21:52:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I steamed everything. used Proof, Eco Defense and cimexa. I have not seen a sign of anything in 7 weeks. remember the Proof STINKS. I opened windows and set a fan at the windows blowing out. light dusting of Cimexa behind head board, behind outlet covers, on legs of beds, rails, all around the walls at the baseboards. all can be purchased at bedbug supply. I encased my mattress and boxed springs as well.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 2 2016 4:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

jldevlin - 1 day ago  » 

You should stop giving advice. Never coat heavy in DE.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 3 2016 1:19:31
    #

Login to Send PM

pglegjig - 1 day ago  » 
    has anyone out there used either one of these products? the Eco defense has the best reviews and is #1 on the list as most effective. but also hearing very good things about Proof and i really like their "rag in a bag" process. Also wondering if their Eco can be used same as Proof "rag in a bag"

"Rag in a bag" is something very specific-- a process which has been proven to work in tests using Cirkil or Proof (two products made by the same company) -- watch the video here to find out more.

You can't substitute other pesticides for Cirkil/Proof in "rag in a bag".

DDVP strips are also used to decon items in a sealed bag, but again, this is a specific product. You can't use just anything this way. (See DDVP in Useful Tools.)

the Eco defense has the best reviews and is #1 on the list as most effective.

Where did this information come from? Be sure it's not just the people marketing the products.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. E-TRAIN

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Sep 5 2016 23:09:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have/had a bed bug infestation, but I haven't seen a live bed bug in 4 weeks. A PCO came for a final treatment on Friday and said he didn't find anything. I'm starting to open bags, as I opened my first one today, which had been sealed and Ragged in a Bag with Proof for over a month. The bag I opened had shoeboxes of Magic the Gathering cards that were under the legs of a lofted bed frame with a sizeable infestation with bugs scattering throughout the room after our first PCO's treatments made the problem worse.

While this is just one bag, and I have more to open, it's probably the piece of clutter that would have harbored the most bugs. After opening. the boxes were littered with about a half dozen dead bed bugs each. I inspected all the contents meticulously and there was nothing alive in any of the boxes (It's theoretically possible some were alive in the bottom of the garbage bag, as I sealed it and trashed it after, but this is doubtful).

Of course the smell is overwhelming and lingers (though I'm in the minority that doesn't think it's that bad), though keeping the bag sealed for a month and not just the five days they claim, has a lot to do with that. I also probably went overboard with how much pumps I needed of Proof on each of the 4 rags I used. Still, chalk me up as someone who has had success using Proof's Rag in a Bag as a method that works.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19