Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Probably nothing, but seeking expert ID [a: nasal discharge]

(9 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 26 2017 21:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

My son isn't feeling well and I was checking on him, and found this stuck on the sheet on the side of the mattress. I noticed it when I brushed my hand along the side, and had to pick it off. It was dark and I didn't want to wake him by turning on the light, so I couldn't check the area, but from what I could see and feel this was all that was there.

I have never seen or felt an actual BB egg, so wondering if this could be one that got crushed or smashed? Or maybe it's just a booger? In the photo it looks more yellow than it actually is. It is mostly translucent with a dark end. Thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/Q01GD
    http://imgur.com/a/LgBJI

2. F. Pazos

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Mar 26 2017 23:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It does not look bed bugs related... If I have to say something, I would say that it fell down from your sons nose.

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 0:53:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Having seen a few clusters of bed bug eggs, it doesn't look like them at all. The bed bug eggs I've seen are white or a cream color and a little translucent sometimes. They are very small and are usually found in small clusters in areas bed bugs harbor. Looks like a booger your son wiped on the side of the bed.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 6:12:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

100% not bed bug related. Eggs are in fact a lot more robust than people give them credit for, and they are NEVER that colour:

eggsmicroscopestacker by David Cain, on Flickr

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 6:39:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert in bed bug related items, but I am an expert in boogers that my kids leave around and that's 100% booger or close relative. Haha

6. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 8:04:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, all. Just have to pop in occasionally and solidify my reputation as a complete paranoid nutter!

In my defense, the color of the booger in real life is really close to the color of the pics David posted. However, the shape is all wrong. And while my first thought was booger, I had a tiny bit of doubt.

Thanks to you all for reassuring this crazy lady!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 8:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi barelyliving,

The technical term is "nasal discharge" and yes I do have a gallery of them. I recall in 2011 having to explain to someone that while it was "his" room it was also my "workplace for the next hour" and as such adding to the boogers might significantly increase the risk of him falling from the window of the 18th floor.

David

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 8:56:47
    #

Login to Send PM

100% booger or close relative. Haha

9. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Mar 27 2017 12:45:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, all, for the much needed humor today! It has been a rough week for me with the reappearance of BBs after almost three months clear. The set back nearly crushed me.

But, we are now one week past finding anything. I'm trying to get a better perspective on the whole thing. I am taking every clear day as a good sign, though I know we have a long way to go before I am totally confident they are gone. In the big picture, this will be a blip in our lives. It will be over. We can fight it. We have our health. It could be so much worse.

And someday soon, I will look back on the night that I carefully removed a booger from my son's bed and cradled it oh so gently in my hand so as not to crush it, while I rubbed his back and lulled him back to sleep, so that I could spend 20 minutes painstakingly photographing it to get the best view, and then saved it in a ziplock bag. And I will die of laughter. It's the little things, right?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,659 posts in 50,009 topics over 154 months by 21,868 of 22,349 members. Latest: fightingback, Jenloaa, pleasestop