Probable mild infestation, advice needed

(6 posts)
  1. 510-no

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2016 17:40:58
    #

Login to Send PM

While changing my sheets just now, I saw a very small brownish-clear insect with a red, swollen abdomen walking slowly (not jumping) along my mattress cover. Without thinking I squished it, thinking it was one of the few fleas that sometimes make their way in with my cat, before her Advantage kills them. There was a small blood spot where I squashed it.

I then discovered a 0.5cm hole in my mattress cover, close to where the insect was walking. After some mild panicking, I began to wish that I had saved that bug! I looked all over the mattress (currently on the floor because the frame broke) and the baseboards around the bed, finding no insects that I could see.

My mattress has a cover on it because about 4 years ago, in another apartment, we found a definite bed bug. It turned out to be from a bad infestation upstairs from us, and no further signs were found in our apartment when the PCO came to treat. I covered the mattress with a protect-a-bed per advice, and have had it ever since.

I currently live with 4 housemates in a large house, and am just starting a new relationship. I am obviously reluctant to start informing everyone until I know whether or not I'm right, but do not want to spread them if they're there.

I just ordered 3 Packtite Passives that should be here in 2-3 days. I have a few questions about what else I can do:

- Is it useful to pay a PCO to come do an assessment? How much does this usually cost?
    - What are the best ways I can avoid transferring any bed bugs to the rest of the house?
    - Offhand (I am sorry I don't have a picture) is there any other option for the coloration that I described, including the blood contents?

Thank you for any advice!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2016 23:05:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it useful to pay a PCO to come do an assessment? How much does this usually cost?

You can find companies that inspect for free, but someone you pay may do a closer inspection and spend more time. This is important because you want to know how many bed bugs you have and all the locations they're in. There's less incentive with a paid inspection to sell a service you don't need, which happens sometimes. I am sure the cost varies based on who you call and where you live. Ballpark, it might cost $100. I think someone mentioned paying $75 or $80 the other day.

- What are the best ways I can avoid transferring any bed bugs to the rest of the house?

Don't move stuff like furniture around. If you move things (like a bag of dirty laundry) seal it up first in a plastic bag. Just in case.

- Offhand (I am sorry I don't have a picture) is there any other option for the coloration that I described, including the blood contents?

Can other bugs leave what looks like red blood after you crush them? Yes. I would not assume it's a bed bug.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2016 4:07:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Also bedbugs tend to walk at a fast pace.

4. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2016 8:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 4 hours ago  » 
    Also bedbugs tend to walk at a fast pace.

I have seen some well fed ones amble along. For me, the fed ones I found waddled. I always assumed their stomachs were bigger than their legs and that slowed them down? The hungry ones could run like no one's business though!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. 510-no

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Oct 5 2016 12:20:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice all! I've been careful to not spread anything, and am going to wait and see what the passives tell me. I price-checked an inspection from Pestec in my area (East San Francisco Bay Area) and they told me $175. That's a lot, but makes sense with their reputation for doing a good job, plus this is just an expensive place to live.

If the passives show any signs of bed bugs, I'm going to tell everyone and call Pestec for inspection and treatment. We'll see, hoping for the best, at least if they're there I may be catching it early.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Oct 6 2016 2:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Pestec seems to have a good reputation. Good luck and keep us posted!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,771 posts in 48,891 topics over 151 months by 21,460 of 21,863 members. Latest: SimpleObserver, get_out, Dannie