Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Pro question: how long for reasonable Peace of Mind?

(4 posts)
  1. scarred4lyfe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 14:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I know there can be no 100% correct answer without a detailed inspection by a professional, but in all LIKELIHOOD...

If someone (i.e. me) has been diligent about inspecting everywhere and scrutinizing everything for bed bugs, how long before I can safely assume that there is no longer anything to worry about? How long before I can reasonably assume that, if I have bed bugs, they would have revealed themselves undeniably by now, especially to an eye that is looking out for them?

I ask because my wife and I had them in a different apartment over two years ago, and still are vigilant (which I think is wise) and paranoid (which I do not want to continue). Every now and then we find something that makes us wonder; I posted a couple months ago about black flecks that were alarming, but got confirmation from several pros on here that they were not bed bug fecal traces.

Sometimes I get bites, too, although I know there is no way to confirm that they are from bed bugs. Early this week, I found a single bite which itched VERY mildly in my groin area (which was weird because I was wearing boxers), and this morning I found a small cluster of non-itchy, non-raised, pinprick-style markings on my abdomen. Of course I now worry about every last thing, but I've inspected closely for weeks, months, years (by now) and have not found a living or dead bug. Nor have we found markings of feces or blood that seem alarming to anyone on here.

The question is always in my mind, though, so I ask again: how long before I can just lighten up, trusting that if we had them we would KNOW it by now because the evidence would have revealed itself? Is it possible, or normal in any way, to go long stretches of time experiencing only the vaguest of signs while searching INTENTIONALLY for something more concrete?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 14:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

You can quit any time you want. The sooner the better.

3. F. Pazos

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 17:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with BigDummy,
    The sooner, The better.
    You have been 2 years inspecting and found nothing, you had several PCOs giving you a clear, still you are not sure.
    Well, if you had bed bugs for over 6 months (note that you are talking about years), your infestation would be massive and you wouldn't need to inspect or search, signs would be so evident. When I do inspections, I usually tell the customer an estimated infestation period, and the longest I give is 6 months or over as over 6 months the infestations are already so big that the bugs are literally everywhere. Usually, when I inspect homes with that levels, I don't really need to take my hands from the pockets.
    On top of that, I found out that some people, after having bed bugs, tend to think that the only insect that bites the are the bed bugs, just yesterday I did a follow up to one home that we treated over a month ago and they were sure that the treatment failed because they had 1 bite in that period.... What they said is very similar to what you wrote, they inspect by themselves, called other PCOs and even had a K9. All gave them the all clear. None to say, we did perform the inspection, I am talking about 3 guys (me and 2 of my best guys) breaking down a 300 sqf 1 bedroom apartment for over 1 hour... and guess what? no bugs or activity evidence of them.
    All this I wrote is just to say this:
    Cool the hell down, you had bed bugs before in 2 apartments, if you have them again, you will know for sure and will not just think you may have them. You are letting the bed bugs ruin your life, and that is unacceptable... they are nasty, I know, but they are just insects. Do you really think that letting that to happen is wise?

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  4. scarred4lyfe

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 12 2017 20:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, to both of you. This is all incredibly encouraging to hear, as I've never heard this topic put quite that way before. I'll continue to remain vigilant in my comings and goings, but other than that I am certainly ready to put the paranoia behind me and my wife! We're really grateful for your responses.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,482 posts in 49,272 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk