Previously exposed now finding red marks

(10 posts)
  1. PerpetuallyParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 17:58:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Like many others on here, I am suffering from the psychological trauma of having previously had bed bugs and now living in extreme paranoia.

I had bed bugs at a previous property abroad and am now terrified to have brought them back to my family home. They were chemically treated twice in my other flat (I still have to move my stuff back from there) and everything I brought back was washed at 60 degrees and my suitcase was sprayed. I returned back to the UK only a few days after the second chemical treatment.

I've been staying at my family home for about 7 weeks. The evidence I've found that we have an infestation is finding a masked hunter bug (eats bed bugs and other insects), finding small red marks that look like bites or sometimes just spots (mostly alone) most days and my brother having a huge skin rash. In some places I've read that finding a masked hunter is a guaranteed sign. I've also been wondering if the bites are from nymphs.

I've spoken to countless pest control companies by phone, sent photos of things, had a pest control company conduct an inspection and tell me there's no signs but I'm still convinced. I've done a mattress check, haven't found anything in my bed post interceptors and have had a Passive Monitor show no evidence since installation 6 nights/1 week ago. I've found one bug that has been confirmed by pest companies as not a bed bug.

My family think we don't have them and that I'm obsessed. I spend a lot of time googling and reading about bed bugs. I'm also worried because I've been staying with friends and now paranoid they will have them to.

It seems like there is no way to confirm not having them and maybe the evidence is I do have them. My parents have not been bitten but I wonder if they just don't react.

Any advice or suggestions? Including on moving belongings back from abroad and then getting them treated? Any experience of masked hunters? How long does a Passive Monitor need to work?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 18:06:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would look at the relaxation and psychology resources I have developed and start from there.

Masked hunters are not common in the UK and their association with bedbugs is overplayed, while there is the impression they roam the world asking out bedbugs that is not the case.

The timeline in Passive Monitors is 7 days clear is a good sign in non isolated bedbugs and 14 days is the all clear. You add 7 days if you isolate beds which I don’t recommend.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. PerpetuallyParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 18:23:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, that's really helpful.

What does 'isolating bed bugs' mean? Presumably it would be unusual to have an infestation, be bitten but have nothing on the Passive Monitors?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 18:46:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Isolation of beds refers to using tape or devices to attempt to isolate it from access. If you search the forum for my previous posts on the subject you will have a lot to read.

There is only a 0.0001% chance of bedbugs when you have clear Passive Monitors after 14 days with a non isolated bed.

David

5. PerpetuallyParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 5 2019 19:25:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah ok, I've had interceptors on three bed legs whilst the passive monitor has been on but not all four. Should I take them off?

6. mp7ski

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Sep 6 2019 21:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

"There is only a 0.0001% chance of bedbugs when you have clear Passive Monitors after 14 days with a non isolated bed."

πŸ˜‚

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 7 2019 5:40:21
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7ski - 8 hours ago  » 
    "There is only a 0.0001% chance of bedbugs when you have clear Passive Monitors after 14 days with a non isolated bed."
    πŸ˜‚

0.0001% equates to an error rate of 1 in 100,000 which is what we have observed in the field over the last 10 years of working with this technology.

It is also reflected in the stats we see from Hotels and commercial accommodation providers where we have been able to eliminated guest complaints from compliant hotels. Given that providing access to the raw data was required before being asked to write about bedbugs in hotels for the academic text.

However if you have a valid data set to share please do so, otherwise the reply above is out of place given that the aim of this forum is to help people.

David

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 7 2019 5:45:51
    #

Login to Send PM

PerpetuallyParanoid - 1 day ago  » 
    Ah ok, I've had interceptors on three bed legs whilst the passive monitor has been on but not all four. Should I take them off?

When we first tested isolation devices in 2007 it was clear that in cases where we used them it took more treatments to clear the infestation. This is why we went on to develop a different approach to detection because in the field isolation is not as effective as the academics who have their names on those patent applications claim.

I would remove them and save them for the beach and frisbee.

David

9. PerpetuallyParanoid

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 11:39:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. My bed is now non-isolated for 3 days. I noticed today a very tiny yellowish dot on the flat bit of the passive monitor (is this the detection skirt?). I tried to take it off the monitor to photograph it but I lost it. Don't think it was an egg but could've been a nymph. Presumably there will be more nymphs on the monitor over the next few days if that was one? Just worried that I lost a piece of evidence.

10. lalmaroad

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 12:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Try taking a clear picture of anything on the detection skirt before touching it. I made that for as well. I won't do it again.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82