Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Prevention protocol for schools, daycare?

(3 posts)
  1. brooklyngal

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jun 28 2011 10:57:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I have volunteered to come up with a protocol to reduce the risk of a bedbug problem at my son's preschool. We don't have a problem or any signs of a problem, but many apartment buildings in our neighborhood have infestations and we're concerned that an infestation may be inevitable if we don't take some preventative action.

I've tried to find something online, to no avail. Does anyone know of other daycares/preschools addressing bedbugs proactively? What general rules or (inexpensive!) preventative measures should we do?

thanks,
    carrie

2. PsychPCO

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 29 2011 14:43:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The Central Ohio Bed Bug Task Force has some info for various professions/environments. I think the biggest key would be educating parents and making sure they are taking proper precautions to avoid having their children bring bugs to school with them.

I would also recommend getting a reputable PCO involved. At my company we have dealt with a number of schools. Even if you can't afford inspections/monitoring they might be able to give you some specific recommendations for your situation.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jun 29 2011 15:22:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There are actually two aspects to a project like this, one that costs little or nothing while the other is about planning and can also be cost effective if you think about it:

• Battle 1 is sopping bedbugs from being brought in - this is an education battle and requires both the students and parents being involved. If you win at this one the rest is a lot easier to deal with.
    • Battle 2 is detection of an issue before it spreads within the facility and what to do if you have an issue, you can never be too prepared

Battle 1

There are lots of good resources out there but ultimately its about simple clear messages and education of the understand that everyone has a role to play in stopping the spread of bedbugs. Ask parents to check their homes on a regular basis and provide them with information on checking hotels when they travel.

I would advocate a sensible and non-frightening education session in the classes may be with the assistance of a visually confirming scent detection K9, children learn well through fun so you should make it as relaxed as possible.

You also need to develop a policy to help parents with issues at home take all the best stseps to avoid bringing anything into the school. I hate it when I hear of people being excluded from education because of bedbugs when simple steps would enable them to continue without adding to the social stigma reinforced through exclusion.

Battle 2

Early detection on site. Like with all environments there are "at risk" areas and many areas of lower risk. These will include cloakrooms and places where bags and items from home are stored during the day. You should look at combinations of active and passive monitoring of these locations to detect the issue before it spreads.

If the facility uses a fleet of buses these should also be monitored or screened to make sure they are not methods of entry.

Once an infestation is detected it may be contained and connected to the users of that area. By then activating a follow up check with the limited users you may identify the source and thus deal with it quickly.

Sweep screening of the facility in general can also be a good plan if the budget allows and it also reinforces the commitment in the eyes of the parents.

Finally having action plans and defined procedures means that there is no panic and that things can be dealt with quickly and efficiently with minimal disruption.

I have worked on some systems most notably hotels but the principles are sound and similar.

If you want any assistance please drop me a PM and I will send you an email address. I don't have the time to write it for you but I can spare the time to proof and check the technical aspects.

Nice to see a proactive project though.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88