Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Prevention (by diet) from anemia caused by bed-bugs

(9 posts)
  1. bedbuggish

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 0:43:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I happen to have bedbugs in my place and so far I have not found a solution to get rid of them. Luckily, I am not sensitive to bedbug bites and I do get any rashes, itchiness etc. So I do not worry a lot except for the long-term consequences.

I found that, in the worst case, bedbug bites can lead to anemia. I am wondering if I can do (add) anything to my diet, so that I can sort of take a preventive step for the anemia, which I may get from long-term bedbug bites.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: I am in no way kidding. This is a very serious concern for me.

2. bedbuggish

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 0:54:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Also how often can you find someone like me who has resistance to BB bites?

I don't think they are not biting me but I am insensitive to their bites.

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 1:11:40
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't live with this! This does not go away .. and will spread to other areas. I don't have an answer for your question (sorry) and you would need an infestation of gross proportions for anemia ... But please find a qualified PMP that can solve your bed bug problem.

4. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 1:59:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it would take an awful lot of bed bugs to cause anemia in an adult although I might be worried about any infants or small animals. However
    in the meantime, to perhaps ease your worries - most times anemia is treated with vitamin b
    twelve shots but there's also sublingual vitamin b twelve (melts UNDER the tongue) which is considered almost if not as good as the shots. Oh, and you don't have to worry about taking too much as it any excess comes out with your urine. A good brand of sublingual
    vitamin b twelve is found at the trivita website.

5. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 10:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think anemia is caused by loss of blood - it's caused by a lack of iron IN the blood. Though obviously a serious blood loss can cause a loss of iron, I doubt a small bug (even lots of them) would cause anemia.

6. Formerly Bugged

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 19:14:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Never say never. Iron deficiency anemia can strike many people, for many reasons - especially if your hemoglobin is normally around the low-normal range. Being feasted on over a long period of time can result in a decline.

It usually takes significant blood loss, but not always. Some women are prone to iron-deficiency anemia simply because they have periods every month. Other women aren't affected like that.

It's always a good idea to ensure your complete blood count is checked at an annual physical. Short of disease or trauma, it would take a long time for bites to have that affect, so your doctor can catch it early on.

Probably NOT a concern, but certainly possible. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and take supplements, because too much iron can be harmful as well.

Google Iron rich foods for a list. Also, get adequate amounts of Vitamin C (more than normal if you smoke) because it increases the absorption of iron.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 8 2008 19:29:06
    #

Login to Send PM

From Usinger's Monograph regarding anemia.....

"During my 7 years of feeding bugs, my haemoglobin decreased from a
    normal 14.5 g per 10 cc of blood in 1958 to 11.5 in 1963 and 1964. It
    remained low even with supplemental iron taken orally and by injection,
    but rose to 13.2 g in 1965 several months after I discontinued feeding
    the bugs."

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2008 23:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

A doctor can test for anemia and advise you on supplements.

But you must get rid of your bed bugs. Remember as long as you have them, you are likely exposing others to them in your daily activities.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Beth

account closed

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Feb 7 2010 16:21:28
    #

Login to Send PM

i bleed heavy in menstruation but was never anemic till the bugs. i am a small person and they fed for many months. my ferritin(iron stores) went down and during my menses now i become anemic for a week or so following. this never happened before and i menstruate the same and eat more iron. this has seriously impacted my health. not having enough blood sucks literally the life out of you not to mention causes headaches and irritability. i began eating red meat (lamb or beef), pumpkin seeds, raisins and millet daily by random urge months ago and now i know why. even that didn't help build up stores only prevent more loss. only decreasing the bugs and may need iron pills. gonna try beef liver and vit. c.

certainly these things can contribute to low iron. anemia is caused by many things---low iron is most common. b12 anemia is usually from an autoimmune disease of the stomach and needs to be supplemented. blood loss would not easily cause this (pernicious) anemia as b12 is stored (even though water soluble) and so it takes a long time for stores to be depleted. most people in our country who are iron deficient it is from chronic blood loss(menstruation, gastric bleeding) or hemmorhage (malabsorption syndromes also). then there is simple normocytic anemia which is not iron or b related but just not enough blood. bad bedbug problem can cause this and iron deficiency anemia from what i have read since diagnosis. my doc said the bedbugs could be a contributor.

amy

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19