Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Preventing Re-infestation from Neighbour?

(5 posts)
  1. hawaiibbu

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Aug 28 2017 22:59:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoping someone has some advice! We just noticed last week a few tell-tale blood spots along with some bites, and are 100% sure it's bed bugs as we had them 3 yrs ago in a previous apartment building (we know it's not accidental re-infestation from that time since it's been so long). We own this unit.

We also then have found, on our bedroom window slats (our bedroom window which is adjacent to the neighbour's bedroom window), two dead adults. From that, we are thinking they must be coming from our new neighbours that just moved into the unit next to us. They work cleaning AirBnB units so I think it just makes sense.

We are de-cluttering, sealing in airtight bins things we don't need for a while and dusting the bins with Cimexa, washing/drying/sealing all clothes and linens, re-applying new mattress and boxspring covers, bought a new metal bedframe and discarding our old one, isolating the bed with interceptors, leaving Cimexa along the baseboards and windows and around the bed. So far thankfully there are no signs of them anywhere further than the few spots on the bed/corner near the bedroom window.

But! The big question is this. If they truly are coming from our neighbour, we have no way to know that they are taking care of their infestation properly. We live in Hawaii, so the windows are open glass slats with screens over them (definitely not airtight and no way to really replace easily with airtight windows). If that's really their method of moving around, does anyone have any suggestions about how to prevent them from coming in thru our adjacent bedroom windows? I've put DE around the bottom of the windowsill but I can't see how I can apply it to the top/sides of the window as well. Sigh.

Also, does this sound like an early infestation to everyone? Any other advice at all? Thanks so much. This is the worst.

2. nomorebuggs

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 6:25:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be very unusual, I think, for bbs to travel via windows. Typically, they take the path of least resistance from one host to another. That means, they move through units via electrical systems, baseboards and even water pipes in some cases. They wouldnt go outside, then come back in via window. Seems against their natural instinct.

Can you post a clear photo of the dead adults you found? If you suspect they are coming from outside, they could be bird or bat bugs which look very similar. An expert will be able to tell more.

As for the neighbors, well, it's very hard to prevent bbs from getting in somehow. But, if you live in a condo or apartment with a homeowner's association, they may require all adjacent units have a bb inspection when bbs are confirmed.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  3. hawaiibbu

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 14:15:38
    #

Login to Send PM

@nomorebuggs

Hm, that's interesting to know thank you, I will definitely post a pic of the bugs. It would be so lovely if they were bat bugs vs bed bugs, but sadly I doubt it as Hawaii does not really have bats (there is one endangered bat species that doesn't really live on my island of Oahu) and I live in a heavily populated urban area so I don't think the bats would be here...

4. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 15:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I know you said you have experience with bed bugs but are you sure what you are finding on the window sill are indeed bed bugs. While I've heard of them being found there at least one other time, it isn't exactly the ideal place for them to be, let alone die. Can you post a high quality image for identification?

Nomorebuggs makes a lot of valid points but that doesn't mean the neighbors aren't the source. They could be coming in a different way and that just so happens to be where you're finding them, albeit odd.

Hope it works out in your favor.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Aug 29 2017 15:06:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The only solution to making sure your neighbours are not the source of your issue is to talk to them and to help then understand how incorrect treatments can spread the issue to others.

There are some awesome and well worded example documents online which will not make it sound so accusatory or full of assumptions such as the "it can't be me". To illustrate this point 100% of my customers either introduced bed bugs themselves or from a neighbour. Only about 10% accept the role that personal responsibility takes in how bed bugs actually arrived in your home.

Personally I would have thought that that bed bugs near windows could mean bird or bat bugs before jumping to conclusions about the neighbour are the source based on their occupation. You would need to get them checked by an entomologist or be able to provide a very up close image to compare the lengths of the hairs around the eyes.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14