Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Preventative/monitoring measures [also passive monitors, bed bug ovens ]

(12 posts)
  1. brooklynscott

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 15 2013 12:18:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys. So after years of paranoia on my own part--without ever having, or getting, bed bugs--my younger brother has now moved to NYC and found himself in the middle of a BB situation.

His roommate found evidence of bed bugs in his wooden bed frame, which he then threw out. This was early July. They had the building's exterminators come in and treat everything, supposedly 4 times in total. The roommate in question had been registering bites very visibly, and that has since stopped. but who knows.

Now here's the thing: My brother has had a BB Alert Passive monitor on his bed since he moved in. It has never registered any signs of BB at any point. I'm going to give him extra monitors for the other 2 roommates to put on their beds.

However, my main concern is that my brother (as do I) travels to visit our mom in New Jersey quite often. The last thing I want is a stray traveling BB to end up there. So my main question is: Given the 'clear' nature of the BB monitor in his room, would it be fairly unlikely that there is any bed bug presence in his room, i.e. the chances of him carrying BBs home on his clothing, backpack, etc--kept in that room--to NJ are fairly slim?

Any help appreciated :/

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 15 2013 19:45:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I added something to your title which should help David Cain find this thread since he's the inventor of the product you mention and in the best position to comment.

Personally, I'd give your mom a monitor too. Not only is your brother not the only way she could come into contact with bed bugs, but it seems possible he might pick them up casually in the home and not necessarily in his bedroom (for example, a bag sitting in the living room, he's sitting in the living room, etc.).

It wouldn't hurt your brother to take some of the precautions in the FAQ about visiting people without bringing bed bugs (which is in our Travel FAQs), considering they're easy enough and considering the potential issues your mom would face should she get bed bugs.

As long as your brother's apartment has bed bugs he's at risk of getting them in his room or of taking them elsewhere.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. brooklynscott

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Sep 15 2013 21:33:41
    #

Login to Send PM

A related question: I've had a PackTite for a while since I travel often. I've advised my brother to purchase his own unit so that in advance of traveling to our mom's he can heat-treat his bag, shoes, etc to avoid anything traveling. BUT i've just seen that the normal-sized PackTite is out of stock on Amazon and also on other sites, with a note that they're upgrading the internal heater. So question A: Is there something wrong with the original PackTite and its heater? And question B: is there a competing device that will also do the job just as well (and won't take 6+ hours to work), somewhere in the $300 or less range?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 0:19:56
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklynscott - 2 hours ago  » 
    And question B: is there a competing device that will also do the job just as well (and won't take 6+ hours to work), somewhere in the $300 or less range?

I can address this one: Packtite is by far the most used and trusted around here by experts and forum users alike. David Cain of Bed Bugs Limited did extensive independent testing of the unit to confirm there are no cold spots, which can be an issue with these types of devices. And many forum users have used the device extensively.

However, there are other models of "bed bug oven" type devices. You can see a range of them on BedBugSupply.com.

(Please note that's an affiliate link-- if you shop through the link it helps support the site at no additional cost to you. See our disclosure policy for more.)

Thermalstrike and ZappBug are cheaper than the Packtite, others are more expensive. You can read past discussions of them -- including user reports -- by clicking the forum's tags for ThermalStrike or ZappBug. Performance and usage (including run-time) may vary widely. Make sure you read any available testing data.

Maybe we need a FAQ on these?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 10:59:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK if we dissect the facts on this one you should be able to keep it in perspective.

Your brothers flatmate has been exposed to bedbugs through something they do or somewhere that they have been but thankfully your brother knows they are clear.

So long as your brothers room and the lounge remains clear it should not affect you even if you were to visit the property so long as you stay out of the other room.

Its why I have always found the hotel registry such a tough call, with some of the super hotels having over 1,000 rooms the fact that one room was exposed to bedbugs and was reported as such gives better odds than the average 30 - 300 room hotel from a purely statistical perspective. They both have the same odds that a guest will bring a problem but the larger location has hopefully learned to put procedures in place.

Hopefully this will also encourage your brother to ensure that everyone in the property understand the risk and at least monitor their own rooms to take a shared household responsibility including any common areas.

Yes it can seem hard to communicate bedbugs to people but it is the single easiest thing you can do to limit chances of having a problem.

Hope that helps and does not let the anxiety over run things.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I opnely disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor.

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. brooklynscott

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 11:26:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David and Nobugsonme, as usual super helpful.

David, so the fact that my brother has no signs on his bed monitor would pretty much mean that there's (most likely not) any BB presence in the rest of his room, or his closet, etc, right? Based on the assumption that if bed bugs made it into those places in his room, they'd obviously go 'all the way' to his bed...?

I will have him take a photo of his common area couch and maybe through PM you could assist with monitor placement...

He's putting monitors on the other tenant's beds this week. Quick refresher question: If a bed is positioned in the corner of a room, the monitor should go on the 'side' of the bed (on boxspring, where it meets mattress) that is closest to the corner, correct?

One tenant has purchased a mattress encasement for this bed. Will the monitor not work with this encasement? The chances of me--through my brother--getting this kid to ditch the encasement he probably wasted $75 on...probably pretty slim.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 11:39:15
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklynscott - 2 minutes ago  » 
    David, so the fact that my brother has no signs on his bed monitor would pretty much mean that there's (most likely not) any BB presence in the rest of his room, or his closet, etc, right? Based on the assumption that if bed bugs made it into those places in his room, they'd obviously go 'all the way' to his bed...?

Yes that is correct, his monitor has been down for long enough that we know his room is clear.

I will have him take a photo of his common area couch and maybe through PM you could assist with monitor placement...

Please do not PM me questions, they are deleted unread. I only answer questions via the forum so that others can benefit from the answers as well (this equally goes for email, please don't email me at work unless you want a bill - I give my time freely here but have to charge if it goes through my company).

There are new images up and available that show more detailed placement, its worth checking those out first as I will only refer you back there if the answer has already been made clear.

He's putting monitors on the other tenant's beds this week. Quick refresher question: If a bed is positioned in the corner of a room, the monitor should go on the 'side' of the bed (on boxspring, where it meets mattress) that is closest to the corner, correct?

Yes if the bed creates a naturally dark side with the walls then the Passive Monitor is attached closer to there, in all other cases it is placed in the middle of the head end of the bed.

One tenant has purchased a mattress encasement for this bed. Will the monitor not work with this encasement? The chances of me--through my brother--getting this kid to ditch the encasement he probably wasted $75 on...probably pretty slim.

The issue with mattress encasement relates to the fact that some of the materials are not durable enough and are prone to tearing. For the same reason that the lawyers make you state on the cup that coffee may be hot we have to so sensibility reasons state that Passive Monitors could tear an encasement and given the vast over charge cost of them we can ill afford to replace them for people. However as the installation location is rarely on the mattress itself it is not something you need worry about. The ultimate solution would be for the good encasement companies to make a quality product that boasted it was durable enough to allow installation of a Passive Monitor without fear of damage (but I would not recommend holding your breath on that one).

Hope that's all clear.

David

8. brooklynscott

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 11:46:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes David very clear, though if you could provide the link to the best new photos of placement that would be helpful!!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 11:58:04
    #

Login to Send PM

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 13:12:22
    #

Login to Send PM

It doesn't sound like we can be certain at this point that the bed bugs aren't in brooklynscott's brother's living room (if any).

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Sep 16 2013 19:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes NoBugs, the lounge needs checking before we can declare the risk as being as low as possible.

David

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Sep 17 2013 3:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, David! If he's using passives, one on the sofa might be an idea, if there is one.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn