pretty much have to move, but how?

(13 posts)
  1. scratchy99

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 13:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

ok, so my current apartment: the landlady is shady, it's got roaches and it's got bedbugs, a neighbor on the 5th floor caught 5 mice (no telling how many more there are), i've seen what just might be fleas in this dump of an apartment and it's got electrical problems so I'm currently living on the hottest day of the year with pretty much NO AC and in the winter my heat was a bit iffy. And my drains dont drain very well, despite having contacted the super multiple times. So yeah, suffice it to say, my apartment is a dump, so it would be plain stupid to pay this crooked cheapskate of a landlady a rent increase the way she probably wants. I wanna move, sometime in october.

Problem is, how? I'm well aware that moving doesn't rid a person of bedbugs, and that it could potentially take it elsewhere, but there comes a point when, um, what choice have I got? A few problems come to mind.

1. if looking for a roommate, which i'd like because i don't have much money, what to tell my potential future roommate?

2. throw out some of the furniture? first there is the problem of affording more of it, second, there's a problem of which stuff to toss? my mattress is an expensive top of the line hand me down. It's got a cover I guess I could spray the daylights out of? Bed frame will have to go, bedbug's favorite desk is going to have to go as well I guess, which was my grandparents' desk btw.

3. How to not bring them in on one's carefully sealed ziplock bags?

Another question: lately my bites are primarily all in the same regions over and over again. Is it possible to get realistic looking fakeout bites for a while after they're gone? That look like fresh bites but are in the same stupid spot they're always in (same patch on my left thigh)? I haven't seen one of the monsters alive in a while.

2. scratchy99

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 14:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

hmm...i could look into vikane. actually, the grandparents' desk is a broken down piece of crap truth be told. i probably would have held onto it longer because it still functions, even if it's crooked and pieces are falling off. it is an idea. don't suppose the landlord would pay for this would they?

oh and funny, just got a call back from the landlady's bookkeeper : she's asking for a rent increase!! hahaha. spent some time listing my problems and asked for a rent decrease. hey, if they'll lower the rent, eh, maybe i'll reconsider.

and yeah i don't know what to do anymore, this is really frustrating...got a fresh bite from something on my arm too, so something is still living in this dump...

but what have people told future roommates when they move?

and how can one tell when theyre gone?

3. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 14:58:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Scratchy - do you mind me asking are you in Denver? I am wondering if we live in the same complex! It sounds soooo scarily similar. Multiple pest infestations - bb's, fleas, mice (on the 5th floor!) and roaches. Otherwise pretty much a dump too. Feel free to PM me if so.

I will be moving out end of August. I am having to pay them off to get out of my lease. I will be doing what is termed a "scorched earth" move. That is me, the cat and some (sanitized) clothes. That will be about it. Everything else trashed.

I hope you find a way to get your unit and belongings properly treated. What I will be doing is extreme and a huge financial and emotional loss. I don't recommend it if you have other options.

4. scratchy99

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 16:24:45
    #

Login to Send PM

i'm in flushing ny actually, and well, I suppose this means I feel your pain. I can't really do the scorched earth move unfortunately because i flat out cannot afford to get rid of EVERYTHING.

You know, one thing you gotta give the bedbugs credit for, one loses their materialism in times like these. After living with most of my belongings in plastic bags for this many months, i'm learning that, winter clothing aside, i really don't open half of what I own. I really don't need half the crap I own because I never even look at it. Still can't afford to get rid of textbooks however.

Are you going to have a roommate in your new place? if so, what did you tell them?

5. kirads09

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 16:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry - haven't had a roomate for many years. I think they deserve to know. However, I don't know how one would disclose that properly without hurting yourself in the process.

Hope those who have been through that can advise you.

6. Eve

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 18:56:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I can just visualize it! You know there's a roommate matching service for folks who don't drink or party? Well, how 'bout a roommate matching service for the survivor/sufferors of bed bugs?

Eve

7. scratchy99

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 7 2010 22:15:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Lol...don't drink or party? yeah I fall into that category too. So, I don't drink, I don't party, I'm an EXTREMELY light sleeper, i have bedbugs and fleas and roaches and waterbugs in my current dump of an apartment (that has dysfunctional electric, heat and plumbing just got worse today too)....oh and i'm a medical student, so if i'm on call overnight, i'll end up coming back to apt in the am and need to sleep during the day...i figure giving people bugs and demanding silence and I'm vegetarian so i get creeped out by things like live food (if you eat meat it doesn't bother me but can it please be pre dead before it gets into the apartment?)

yeah i think i might need to get a studio for myself.

8. delorac

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 8 2010 2:26:01
    #

Login to Send PM

kirads09 - 9 hours ago  » 
    Sorry - haven't had a roomate for many years. I think they deserve to know. However, I don't know how one would disclose that properly without hurting yourself in the process.

On the other hand, the potential roommate could have a recent history of bedbugs, in which case mutual disclosure seems prudent. It would be a shame to move safely out of an infested apartment only to become reinfested by the possessions of a new roommate.

9. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 1:40:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Im in a similar situation Scratchy, I had someone move in after I disclosed that I had had a problem (didnt affect prev roommate) and they moved right out after a reaction.

Now say I move in with someone. If I take rational precautions, I might make my new room mate regret her decision to let me move in, but if I dont take precautions, I might spread the bugs and not kill the few that I have to assume may come with me!!!.

Do I move into an unfurnished studio and get it sprayed for a few months as a BB killing zone???

10. mcsmcs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 6:02:50
    #

Login to Send PM

scratchy99 - 1 day ago  » 
    You know, one thing you gotta give the bedbugs credit for, one loses their materialism in times like these. After living with most of my belongings in plastic bags for this many months, i'm learning that, winter clothing aside, i really don't open half of what I own. I really don't need half the crap I own because I never even look at it.

Me, too. The biggest thing I have is books - I do open those, and sometimes use them for reference, and they cause a lot of my storage problem. But other than that I have a TON of stuff I don't need. A year or two ago I was moving and I had these storage boxes. I realized I hadn't opened them in well over a year, possibly two, and had no idea what was in them. I tossed them without opening - might have been tempted to keep something in them, but clearly it's nothing I needed.

One interesting thing I saw on the boards in the past was someone offering to share a moving truck to Vikane. Maybe you could try that once you decide to move? Depending on how much furniture/the price of the mattress it might be worth the money to Vikane, and sharing would make it somewhat cheaper. Just an idea. (Or you could post a craigslist ad....lol.)

11. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 6:27:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Scratchy99,

If you are a med student, I know you are not in the apt often and spend a lot of time reading/typing etc. (I have friends who are MDs) Personally, I would recommend a studio. You have more control that way and it is cheaper

Also - as you are in NYC you should immediately report your conditions to the city - call 311! I work for a LL who is a decent guy and we have treated many apts for bb's. Yours could be treated too, but since the rest of the building sounds like a mess, it may not be successful - and we are all about success. NYC is experiencing a huge surge in bbs and reporting and infestation to the city helps record numbers and ultimately will press the city gov't into doing something.

I agree about having your belongings vikaned in a truck - I read somewhere it is about $700 or so - money well spent IMHO. Have the new place inspected too - maybe a co2 detector installed a few days before you move in? Any evidence and you can either 1. not move in, or 2. have the new LL treat the place.

If you cannot move and need to do something ASAP, PM me and I will give you my PCO's number. He lives in Queens also.

12. Wendy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 13:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

scratchy99
    You have to weigh the options. I threw out my furniture that I bought a week before I moved into my apartment from hell. It got delivered the day I found out I had bb. It is hard to make that decision. But if you want to get rid of the bugs, you have to become a plastic bag person and move. No kidding. they are elusive little creatures. you will take them with you if you move. And if you don't tell your new roomate, you are just condoning the problem and making it bigger. Do the right thing. I wish my landlord would have told me. I just never would have moved into the place and went somewhere else. now I have to start all over again because someone didn't care enough to tell me. Not fair!!!

13. scratchy99

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 18:14:55
    #

Login to Send PM

vikane is an idea. semi scorched earth is another i'm contemplating: get rid of primary bug homes, namely, the bed and desk, save the other furniture that's either easily self treated or probably isn't heavily infested if at all (like kitchen table)...

also occurs to me: if i find a basement apartment, this massively reduces my risk of bedbugs right? if the landlord lives upstairs he/she is going to be extra proactive about ridding the building of any bug whatsoever, right?

this is all rather scary and stressful. I have figured that what with my potential for odd hours it's probably best I just get a studio apartment and not worry about the roommates issue.

And as for informing one's future landlord? I mean yes, if my landlord was an honest decent human being, it would be nice to give them a fair shake. But at this point I've been told so many blatant lies that I'm getting a bit cynical.

at least for starters this is what i plan on doing:
    1. friend of the family is a lawyer, he says that getting a rent abatement in nyc isn't so difficult, and if i've got multiple problems, i have an argument. Going to try to be rent free for the duration of my lease.
    2. go back to apartment and throw out all of the excess crap in there. Provide myself with more clean surfaces. less stuff to pack/vikane the daylights out of is just going to be easier long term. finding inspiration to take time to clean will be the problem.
    3. treat the flea issue that's developing. mom walked into my apartment and immediately got bitten in the ankles (i haven't had this experience. am i a bit more immune to the fleas?)
    4. cant move until sept/oct. anyhow. maybe i'll experience some major stroke of luck and discover that the bugs are gone by then after all.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316