pretreating luggage?

(15 posts)
  1. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 3:22:48
    #

Login to Send PM

anyone have any ideas for pre-treating luggage? dusting with DE or other dust seems kind of out of the question because of clothes and stuff...

what about spraying the outside with something with residual?

based on what i've read, there's no real way to do this, but wondered if any of you pros out there had any habits or products you use on luggage that's preventative (something residual, not like steam or heat or alcohol)?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 5:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I only travel with hard sided plastic suitcases the Samsonite oyster style ones which are by design resistant to bedbug hitch hikers.

The only other sensible solution is to wrap the luggage in pallet wrap or saran wrap when you travel to avoid transfer that way. its also very cost effective.

Spraying or dusting will never be a reliable solution and may in fact add to the increased tolerance that bedbugs show to many chemical based products.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 9:29:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Pretreating luggage with pesticides is also very unfair to the people who have to handle your luggage in airports and hotels...it could present a significant health hazard to them. If you wrap your luggage in cling wrap chances are very high that security will unwrap it to inspect the contents. I tried sealing the zipper with duct tape on a hard sided suitcase and they stripped it off and rummaged through everything inside and didn't replace the tape. It seems to raise a red flag.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 9:39:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You can insert a note that says sealed to protect my luggage from bedbugs and the risk of someone opening the bag rapidly diminishes.

I 100% agree with reducing the risk of pesticide exposure to others who may handle your cases, it is after all the socially responsible way to think of this issue.

David

5. scaredpea

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 9:51:07
    #

Login to Send PM

on a similar vein. we're traveling a hotel for a week over the holidays. Would there be any benefit to wrapping the luggage in saran wrap once we arrive while it's sitting at the hotel in order to prevent hitchhikers?

that way when we get home all the clothes/shoes can go straight in the dryer but the luggage has a better chance of not harboring anything (unless a hitchhiker switches cases on the plane).

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 10:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi scaredpea,

When inside the hotel room or place you are staying the best solution is actually the BugZip luggage encasement's which are reusable. It means you can isolate your luggage without having to carry around saran wrap or finding some in your destination location.

Hope that helps.

David

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 7 2011 11:48:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to throw in there that I bought and used to use a hard case for the reasons suggested by David.

However, if you ever end up getting a Packtite, the manufacturer suggests they work better with cloth luggage.

And that's my MO for travel: come home, remove contents of suitcase packed in sealed bags, heat treat luggage. Then launder or Packtite clothing, etc.

I know you weren't asking about after-treatment, but I just thought I'd share the tip about the luggage.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 9 2011 23:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks everyone for responses.

yes chemical pre-treatment would probably be pointless and i see your point about luggage handlers, etc.

i thought about the bugzip cases (i travel a LOT), but i travel through many cities rapidly, so am in a different hotel almost every night, and the bugzip manufacturer says re-using the case defeats its purpose i suppose that's only if you're super paranoid and think there are invisible eggs showing up on the outside during a hotel stay, which is probably far-fetched. i supposed you could seal the bugzip in a sealed bag when putting it back INSIDE your luggage for the next stop

because of work i have to carry oversized bags that can't be packtited or hard-shelled (plus the issue of avoiding insane overweight baggage charges by using super-lightweight & expandable luggage for long outings)

so i guess i'll just take all the precautions i can, realizing there will always be a certain amount of risk involved. i cant really change my profession (or don't want to), and have fallen in love with travel, so must live with the risks i suppose, and hope for the best....

oh, and yes i agree -- in the USA saran-wrapping or otherwise sealing your bags doesn't fly. security will open it every time.

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2011 14:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I travel a bit for business. I tend to put my clothes in a large double zipper ziploc (not extra large ziploc) and then bring several clean ziplocs (inside a ziploc) since I'll sometimes do laundry on long trips. I put one day's outfit (everything) in a ziploc. I haven't come up with an idea for shoes other than to reuse the same ziploc, and ziploc each one separately.

Some of my work involves inspections of high risk locations. I'm not inspecting for bugs, but let's just say some people don't clean before my visit (ugh!). I feel like Monk at times. BTW, a number of hospitality rooms seem to have nailed in paintings which hinder my inspections per David Cain's video. Several of my co-workers have found bugs and David Cain's video has helped us all feel better about at least attempting to search the room (one of my group even carries a flashlight in her checked luggage). No one has had BBs (or admits to it), but we did have a co-worker figure out on day 5 of a visit that she had them in her room about a year ago. The hotel just said they'd run her things through the laundry. She threw everything out and insisted they reimburse her.

FYI, TSA hasn't opened up my ziploc bags on my carryons, but now I'm wondering if my checked luggage gets "special checked". I don't tape up the zipper. I have had my carryons inspected due to my bath salts and yes, one time, I left a half bottle of water in one of the carryon bags. They just take out the ziplocs and smile at me. Or, I smile at them...who knows

I use hardside luggage and open it when putting it through packtite closet. I do run it for a LONG time (8 hours empty) after reading the posts on here from David James about hard vs. soft luggage.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  10. nycfighter

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Dec 10 2011 16:51:45
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah i dont think you have to worry too much about TSA opening sealed bags INSIDE your luggage, but i think covering/sealing the outside of your luggage makes them really want to open it

11. jrbtnyc

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Dec 11 2011 5:17:25
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 14 hours ago  » 
    I use hardside luggage and open it when putting it through packtite closet. I do run it for a LONG time (8 hours empty) after reading the posts on here from David James about hard vs. soft luggage.

Whoops I must have missed that. Maybe some other people did too?

Could you provide a link to the discussions about the hard vs. soft luggage.

12. MyWorstFear

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Dec 12 2011 22:59:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Here you go! I recently purchased a piece of hardsided luggage and ran it thru the Packtite even though it was brand new and came sealed from the factory! But I didn't know we were supposed to run it for a longer time than softsided luggage. Just for the record, I usually prop open any suitcases that go in the Packtite since I feel they reach proper temperature faster that way.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/hardside-versus-softside-luggage

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2011 7:17:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I don't think the TSA has as much issue as you may assume given the popularity of the luggage wrapping services I see in all the US and international airports.

If they had as much of an issue as people assume then these services would not be offered. I have also always suggested sealing in a note that can be read from the outside saying sealed to protect from bedbugs, I can assure you the baggage handlers and TSA staff will know why you have done that, the chances are high that they have been victims themselves.

David

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2011 23:37:33
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

What are the dimensions of the new packtite closet unit? ( I clicked on the link to the right but there were no size details on the page.)

Thanks,

paul b.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 6:00:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Paul,

From a previous thread but it does no harm to repeat:

Dimensions: 36” W x 18” L x 34” H. (Folds to 11” H for storage)
    Usable Space: Up to 40” W x 30” L x 36” H when filled with hot air
    (taken from USBedBugs website)

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail