Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Presumptive blood test kits - where to buy in Canada

(10 posts)
  1. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 10 2010 12:37:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Has anyone purchased presumptive blood test kits in Canada? I found a supplier in US but always faster and cheaper if can get in Canada, when possible.

These are the kits to test if something is blood (or maybe also has blood on/it it?).
    Re: can test a spot you think is bedbug feces - which is basically excreted blood - if positive for blood, is bedbug feces.

(Hope my understanding of that is correct.........)

Thanks

2. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 10:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

For those in Canada - found company in US that will ship to Canada:
    http://www.calgaryairport.com/Default.aspx?cid=362&lang=1

For those in US - will pass along the link Loubugs gave me (they said won't ship to Canada unless >$250 order. but thanks Lou):
    http://www.crime-scene.com/store/A-7500.shtml

I think the Arrow Valley kit may have more test supplies.

3. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 13:52:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Not to come off as an optimist (read my other posts, and you'll know I'm not!), but just because it tests positive as blood doesn't necessarily mean you have bedbugs. If ALL of the following are true, there's another perfectly reasonable explanation. (I've implied this elsewhere, but I think it bears repeating if it saves anyone from losing their minds):

1) The spots are found in places exposed to some type of wetness (sweat, bathroom moisture, etc.)
    2) They're in places where your pet hangs out.
    3) Your pet has flea dirt in his or her fur. (Simply part the pet's fur down to the scalp and have a look).

Loosened flea dirt, when exposed to wetness, leaves a mark just like bb feces -- and yes, it's blood.

Alternatively, I highly recommend that people who are terrified that they might have bbs -- but are completely emotionally incapable of facing that fact -- go to a shelter and adopt a flea-infested pet today! The two of you will instantly feel better. Better yet, brush Fluffy's coat on your white sheets each night before going to bed & then crank up the heat until your bedroom's like a sweaty sauna:)

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 14:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Not to come off as an optimist (read my other posts, and you'll know I'm not!), but just because it tests positive as blood doesn't necessarily mean you have bedbugs.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    In addition to your example, there is also the more obvious example of where a postiive test doesn't necessarily mean bed bugs and that is when you test human blood drops/specs that have not been processed by a bed bug. In other words, from a cut, nick or crack in the skin. I've used the presumptive blood kit around a dozen times but found it more useful for ruling out bed bugs than ruling them in. In order to rule them in, you have to be fairly certain you're dealing with bed bug faecal material as opposed to unprocessed human blood, and now in the case mentioned by TRE -- flea dirt.

Richard

5. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 15:40:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank-you everyone for the very helpful comments.

I guess the test is more definitive if it comes back as NOT blood? If I test the spots in my sheets that I think could possibly be a sign of bedbugs and it all comes back as not blood, then that will be a very good thing.

And if some of them come back as positive for blood, then I will consider all the reasons that could be the case - bedbugs, non-bedbug related skin issues (cut, scrape, etc), from fleas, or anything else we can think of.

(Gee Reluctant - people never accuse ME of being an optimist - ha ha ha.)

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 15:52:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess the test is more definitive if it comes back as NOT blood?
    ---------
    Yes. And what the kit has given me is some peace of mind after ruling out some mystery spots on bedding and walls.

7. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 16:19:35
    #

Login to Send PM

123bugs - 5 hours ago  » 
    For those in Canada - found company in US that will ship to Canada:
    http://www.calgaryairport.com/Default.aspx?cid=362&lang=1

The link above is for the plastic wrapping service offered at the Calgary Airport... I don't see the kit.

8. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 17:32:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmmm - just sent reply to Bedbugpanic - but don't see it on the thread..........redo?

Sorry about the wrong link - try:

Connecticut Valley Biological Supply:

http://www.connecticutvalleybiological.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=presumptive+blood+test

9. BedBugPanic

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 11 2010 23:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you 123bugs

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 2:32:45
    #

Login to Send PM

123bugs - 8 hours ago  » 
    Hmmmm - just sent reply to Bedbugpanic - but don't see it on the thread..........redo?
    Sorry about the wrong link - try:
    Connecticut Valley Biological Supply:
    http://www.connecticutvalleybiological.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=presumptive+blood+test

Rescued post above from spam. Sorry, 123!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,415 posts in 50,190 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams