Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Preparing for 1st treatment with Bell - 8 questions - please help!

(4 posts)
  1. nobugs1111

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2010 10:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I saw 1 BB yesterday and am having a treatment done with Bell on tuesday. I had a few questions. I could really use some help here. Thank you.

1. Will washing my clothes with Woolite kill BBs and the eggs, or do I have to dry them?

2. They told me to dry everything - how hot do I do it? 20 minutes on HIGH? Can I do it on medium or low?

3. I have about 75 dresses, suits, ties, shirts that are dry clean ONLY. They cannot go into the dryer, and I can't afford to dry clean everything. I heard I can use a handheld steamer and run it up and down everything.... is this true?

4. They say to put dry clothes into ziplock bags and put them back in room - do I have to put them back in the room or can I go bring the dry/steamed clothes in fresh bags directly into a friend's apartment who has extra space, and once there unpack them and hang them up? Or, do I *need* to leave the ziplock bags in my place so that when Bell comes the spray something *inside* it?

5. I was told to take everything out from all of my drawers and put it in big black bags but don't zip. Does this sound right? Every book in my closet, all my pictures, old cell phones, screwdrivers, scales, CDs, Pens, decorative mugs, yarn, books, yoga mat, staplers, etc.... they want me to empty ALL of that into a black bag? Why? Isn't it easier for them just to spray (they are freezing) the drawers with these things in them? Does this sound right that I have to do this or did I misunderstand them?

5a. I have a rack of about 100 dvds, do I need to put all of the dvd cases into a black bag or can I just leave it up?

5b. My utility closet has my vacuum, my mop, broom, old cardboard boxes of my computer and luggage, old electronics... am I supposed to put all of that stuff into black plastic bags? I am going to end up either with lik e30 black plastic bags, or like 15 with so much stuff stacked on top of each other I dont know how spraying in there is going to work, plus there will be no room on the floor for Bell to work.

5c. I have a few stackable thick plastic drawers around the room, do I need to empty them out and then leave the drawer, do I empty it out and then put the empy drawer in bag, or can I just stick the drawer with the stuff in it in the bag?

5d. I have a some cloth boxes around that I put things in (they zipper) and look nicer tha plastic tubs. Same thing - can I just put those straight into the black bags or do I need to empy? Is it one per bag or do I just stack as many as I can until my black bag is full?

6. All I saw was 1 confirmed BB, no bites or anything. Any chances this isn't too bad of a problem?

7. They told me to dry my shoes, I have a lot of nice shoes that I can' stick in the dryer. Some of the shoes were under my bed in bags or boxes (not ziplock). Should I vacuum/steam and then put into ziplocks/bring to my friends, or should I leave them out so that Bell can just spray them?

8. I am planning on moving out of here for the next 2 weeks until Bell does both treatments, how do I make sure I don't bring the BBs with me when I move the the other apartment. Steam the clothes that I am wearing on the way out?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

2. wchicago

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 16 2010 18:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

hi nobugs1111

i think you have to ask Bell the prep questions -every PCO's protocol is different, so no one here (unless they also used Bell) will be able to answer your questions about bags, dvds, drawers, etc.

but laundry we can help with

ok, woolite will not kill eggs - you need heat for that. the dryer on medium should get hot enough, but if you're unsure, use a cheap meat thermometer (like $2 at any grocery store) to check it. you want to be registering at least 150 after drying. stick thermometer in middle of clothes pile, close dryer door, open after 3 minutes, read temp. and keep in mind the 20 minutes is 20 minutes AFTER the clothes are already dry -so think bone dry PLUS 20 minutes.

and just so you know - you can throw all your dry cleanables in the dryer (NOT washer) and disinfect them that way. i did, didn't damage anything. put them in dry, dry for 30 minutes (or longer -i dried on high for 45 because i wanted them really hot) no damage.

OR -buy a packtite. i did cuz i have roughly 10 million books and pairs of shoes. cashmere sweaters and shoes got packtited, as well as books and photos and knicknacks. money well well spent.

good luck!!!

3. tormentedbybbs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Feb 8 2010 0:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Wchicago -

I've been searching for info on heating dry-clean-only items and shoes, and I came across this post. (I thought I was the only one with 10 million shoes!) Anyway I have a gazillion suits, some are poly, some wool, others not 100% sure, also silk blouses, cashmere and merino wool sweaters - are you saying that when you put these items in your regular dryer, they did not sustain any damage at all??? And did you use both the dryer and the Packtite on these items, and was the outcome equally good? How about your shoes? I have leather, fabric, and man-made (look like patent-leather), and many of them have some type of ornamentation on them, etc. Did any of the glue on your shoes give out? Did any damage happen to them at all? Same question as with the suits/blouses/sweaters - dryer only? Packtite? Results same or different? Thank SO much for your help - I've been agonizing over this, thinking I'd have to put my stuff in air tight bags/bins for 18 months and buy new, or risk ruining every thing, so any information you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

4. tormentedbybbs

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Feb 8 2010 0:05:13
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG - nobugs1111 - I just realized what the original thread was about! I'm so sorry if I've breached etiquette by asking my question here. My brain is NOT working correctly due to bedbugitis. I hope it went well with the treatment, and your well on your way to being freed of the bbs forever!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,372 posts in 46,557 topics over 141 months by 20,533 of 21,396 members. Latest: jidhvs1, Darrellkking, jojo