Prep question

(14 posts)
  1. Freakedout 16

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Feb 3 2019 12:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all thank you for this website and the people on it. I have had Pest Control person come in and do an inspection based on a bed bug that I found. It was positively id'd. A little backstory is I found three ,2 outside my door on a welcome mat and one inside my entry along the carpet tile line. I live in an apartment with 16 units with outdoor entrances and Halls. I collected those specimens and did thorough job of checking all our furniture my box spring everywhere and found nothing. I vacuumed everything for an hour and threw out the bag. No bites on any of us. I installed those entrapment things on each bed as well as dried every blanket and sheet along with pillows. That was just the first night one week ago. So far no signs of any or bites. The pest guys said since we had a positive ID they will treat the entire apartment as well as check other apartments. They also told us no way it came from another apartment. As in we were crazy to think that. But we noticed previous week downstairs neighbor had their entire living room set on their balcony for a week then they put by dumpsters. So my question is this they are negotiating a contract with our apartment manager but it is happening in the next two weeks. I went and got 3 mm thick bags to dry and store all our extra pillows and blankets I went and got Sterilite gasket sealed bins for our clothes. Should I start putting the clothes in the bins now as I wash them? Any other prep tips would be handy for me. Also they said they were going to do a wet treatment what does that mean? Also what do i do with shoes? They will eventually give me q prep sheet but i want to get ahead of this. Also ordered mattress encasemrnts nut do i install now or after treatments? Thank you

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Feb 3 2019 21:07:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Freakedout 16 - 8 hours ago  » 
    First of all thank you for this website and the people on it. I have had Pest Control person come in and do an inspection based on a bed bug that I found. It was positively id'd. A little backstory is I found three ,2 outside my door on a welcome mat and one inside my entry along the carpet tile line. I live in an apartment with 16 units with outdoor entrances and Halls. I collected those specimens and did thorough job of checking all our furniture my box spring everywhere and found nothing. I vacuumed everything for an hour and threw out the bag. No bites on any of us. I installed those entrapment things on each bed as well as dried every blanket and sheet along with pillows. That was just the first night one week ago. So far no signs of any or bites. The pest guys said since we had a positive ID they will treat the entire apartment as well as check other apartments. They also told us no way it came from another apartment. As in we were crazy to think that. But we noticed previous week downstairs neighbor had their entire living room set on their balcony for a week then they put by dumpsters. So my question is this they are negotiating a contract with our apartment manager but it is happening in the next two weeks. I went and got 3 mm thick bags to dry and store all our extra pillows and blankets I went and got Sterilite gasket sealed bins for our clothes. Should I start putting the clothes in the bins now as I wash them? Any other prep tips would be handy for me. Also they said they were going to do a wet treatment what does that mean? Also what do i do with shoes? They will eventually give me q prep sheet but i want to get ahead of this. Also ordered mattress encasemrnts nut do i install now or after treatments? Thank you

I don't know why your pest management person said the bed bugs don't come from other apartments. Of course that happens. Adjoining is either side, above and below, and across the hall.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Freakedout 16

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Feb 3 2019 21:49:12
    #

Login to Send PM

He said there is no way they could travel from another unit. He said they hitchhike on things and people. I inquired bc it was outside of my front door on the welcome mat where I found 2 and 1 inside by tile and carpet line near front entry. I have never seen one in my room on my furniture or anywhere else up until that moment. They informed me that they will search the other units. They said treating my unit was mandatory since one was inside. Even though no evidence apps where was found. Not opposed to them treating my apartment of course I welcome it. But worrying if they insist it can't come from another tenant. Bc then problem won't ever be fixed.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 7:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

It's really too bad they're in the business and don't understand it.

5. SalsaVince

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 10:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I can relate. The PCO that treated my mom's apartment insisted that bugs can't travel between apartments through the wall hollows or hallways even though there are documented studies which have observed that movement not to mention dozens of videos of infestations you can watch which show them finding bugs behind outlet plates, etc. But there's no point in arguing with the "expert". It's good that they are going to treat your apartment so just cooperate with that since that's all you can control. If you've only found one near your door and haven't experienced any bites or seen them in bedrooms/sofas, you've hopefully caught this very early. I wouldn't go overboard with bagging up every item in your home. Make sure you have some clean clothes that you have heat treated in a dryer bagged or in tubs with lids so you can use them throughout the next couple of weeks. For the rest of your stuff, you just want to make sure it's out of the way for them to treat, not stored under or near the beds. You should wait for their instructions before you waste time doing anything more than that. For the encasements, I was unsure about what to do with those too. I ended up leaving them off for the first treatment so that the actual mattress and box springs would get sprayed. Then, after it dried for a couple of days, I put on the cases and left them on for the next 2 treatments so the got sprayed on the outside as well. That way, inside and out would have some residuals on it. I assume "wet" treatment just means with sprays as opposed to with dusts and vacuuming only but that's just a guess.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  6. Freakedout 16

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 10:56:49
    #

Login to Send PM

So over the weekend I heat treated all the extra sheets towels blankets and pillows and put those in bags tied and duct tape those closed. I don't need those things right now so now I'm going to reduce clutter and get rid of things do a spring clean. Yeah like I said I found two outside on the welcome mat of my apartment and one inside near the door and the Carpet line. I have made myself crazy looking for any signs inside and I have yet to find any bugs never mind a bed bug. But I am going to follow protocol once I get my prep sheet and do everything I have to. The pest control guy kept saying it's up to you guys to figure out how they came in I don't know how they came in but it's up to you to find out how they came in. Whatever that means next time I see him I will say it's up to you to kill these bastards it's up to you. Thank you for all the advice I really appreciate it I am prone to anxiety and this hasn't helped

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 11:00:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Freakedout 16 - 22 hours ago  » The pest guys said since we had a positive ID they will treat the entire apartment as well as check other apartments. They also told us no way it came from another apartment.

If they believe that bed bugs cannot transfer from one unit to another then why are they searching the other units?
    As long as they do the job I wouldn't argue logistics, they've already contradicted themselves, but in your favor.

It could be that they're just trying to keep things calm in the building by stating that since their actions are pointing directly opposite.

8. Freakedout 16

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 13:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate everyone who took the time to comment. It helps so much that there is help out there.

9. Freakedout 16

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 13:05:57
    #

Login to Send PM

So i just received the prep sheet from the company which is Certified termite and pest control a Houston /Dallas company I Think. And its not what i was expecting. Prettt much declutter and move things so they can move around freely. Leave blankets pillows mattresses clothes as is. Don't move anything into other rooms. I was expecting them to say dry and bag everything so I am confused. Is this typical for a first treatment? I already dried extra blankets and pillows and bagged and duct taped those I don't use. But I guess I wont do anymore than on the list. Also what should i be asking the day of? Thank you!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 13:13:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Some PCOs include treating (eg hot dryer) and sealing all clothing and linens; others don't or might do it on a case by case, based on where bed bugs are found. I would do what they require in terms of prep, and would do additional treatment of clothing only if it makes you feel better. You might not need it.

Make sure you've asked about pets, if you have any, as you want treatments to be safe for them and in some cases people are asked to remove the pets for a period of time. Also ask when they will come back and what they will do then (eg inspect or treat). Two week follow ups are pretty standard.

Even though they think bed bugs don't come from other units, this isn't true as others noted, so ask if they will talk to the building manager about professionally inspecting attached units. They may say no, but it can't hurt to push for it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. Freakedout 16

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 15:29:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The Pest Control person is doing my apartment right now and I am out of the home. Because they didn't tell me to bag up everything like towels extra clothes Etc I know have to wash and dry all those when I get home correct? What do I do with all hard surfaces do I Clorox wipe them off? He said he is leaving a follow-up sheet but I'm just killing time at the laundromat and if anybody has any insight I would appreciate it

12. SalsaVince

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 17:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You shouldn't need to do anything with towels, etc unless they were lying near the furniture or walls being treated. They usually use equipment that allows them to focus the treatment where it's most effective and spray only the baseboards, beds, mattresses, chairs, sofas, etc. After you return to your apartment, might be able to feel some moisture where they sprayed still. That was the case with our treatment at least. You can always contact them to confirm but I wouldn't bother washing every towel in the house. And don't do any cleaning with Clorox or anything else. You don't want to remove the residuals that they've applied. Just leave it alone and let it do its job for a few weeks and hopefully start finding dead bugs soon.

13. Freakedout 16

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 20:39:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Do I vacuum right away? Zero instructions regarding vacuuming.

14. Iwantmylifeback

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 8 2019 22:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

After my professional treatment I was told I may start vacuum after 3 days .

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,399 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina