prep/ post plans; rituals to remove bugs

(6 posts)
  1. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jun 5 2010 23:18:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Lets share our prep/post plans!

I live in a brooklyn rowhouse, and my roommate moved out. As I can not afford the whole place myself, nor can I wait for my landlord to fix all the cracks and holes where there could be harborages then wait to be certified bed bug free and then advertise for a roommate, I have decided to put my things into storage and start fresh.

Here is my prep ideas so far:

I borrowed a metal handtruck and bought a 21 gallon rubbermaid tub and a packtite.
    I will run books and things through the packtite then deposit into a contractor bag in the packtite. When that is full, I will fill another on top of it, and wheel it to a storage place.

Once at the storage space, I will insert a hotshot strip in them for 5 days. I will then remove the strip, and put it back in 10 days later for another 5 days.

Once I am moved into a new place, I will packtite each set of items again and then vaccuum up the neurotoxins from the strips.

All my furniture is replaceable ikea or was left by roommates a while back, so I just wont take any.

I am making a few sets of work clothes bundles and home clothes bundles so that I can dress cleanly and safely, once I get some 3 gallon ziplocks.

Any other ideas? Contribute!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 6 2010 2:00:45
    #

Login to Send PM

You are overdoing it. The Packtite or the DDVP strip alone will be sufficient. Also don't have to treat with the strip and then wait and then do it again and the the Packtite again. Also why do you think you will vacuum up the neurotoxins?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 6 2010 2:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

My roommate wanted to put the strip in for 4 days. That will kill all the live bugs, but not the eggs. Thats where the idea of 2 rounds of the strip came from.

Oh man, Lou I realize I am overdoing it, The pendelum swung hard from "everythings going to be fine, my landlord will fix this" to "must do everything in my power"

4. zerg_infestor

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 6 2010 3:09:25
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg - 1 hour ago  » 
    My roommate wanted to put the strip in for 4 days. That will kill all the live bugs, but not the eggs. Thats where the idea of 2 rounds of the strip came from.
    Oh man, Lou I realize I am overdoing it, The pendelum swung hard from "everythings going to be fine, my landlord will fix this" to "must do everything in my power"

Or you could just put one in for 10 days and that'd be the end of that. Overall the exit plan sounds good, wish I had that option. I'm stuck here in this house so I'm forced to deal with exterminating them.

5. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 23:07:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I love this apartment. But the landlord doesnt seem like she will fix the structural problems or hire a reliable exterminator to do more than just spray for 30 minutes.

Also, its a two bedroom and Id either be paying it all and staying and being bitten while I wait for them to die for up to two months. I dont think I could rent the other room out for a full 4 months after the last bite, you know? So, its both inconvenient and expensive.

As is, Im really worried about bringing the problem with me to an even more expensive place.

6. vanessakiki

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2012 11:59:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg-

how did your move go? I am in the same spot...landlord won't pay for anything legit so i'm leaving...but i'm worried about taking things. I also have a packtite and a month of flex time to get everything out of here and into the new spot so I can be pretty careful about it. The new place is much more expensive than this spot...and *gasp* IS BRAND NEW. never been lived in. this makes me feel really safe but at the same time extra paranoid that i'm going to infest it.

Are you bedbug free? What was your process for moving the stuff into the new spot?

-Vanessa

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991