Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

preliminary verdict on dryer shoe holder product

(10 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jul 27 2008 18:12:16
    #

Login to Send PM

My laundrymat people won't allow shoes in the dryer, but I feel that I can be responsible and pull them out before any rubber melts, so I decided to try buying a magnetic shoe holder for the dryer--the idea being the shoes would be silent and I would be less likely to get caught.

Well I started with a pair of boy's hiking boots. They came detatched from their magnets in 5 minutes.

The product information only talks about tennis shoes so I can't say I was hoodwinked by the manufacterers, per se. However, I wanted to get my preliminary review out there in case anyone was considering buying this product. It may not be as great as it sounds.

I'll write again when I try some light tennis shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FCUH4W/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2008 9:34:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It's amazing what gadgets people make nowadays.

I am left slightly wondering if you would not have more lucky with a large magnet placed into the shoe to hold the soles to the drum? although in all honesty I don't see that many infected shoes unless they are stored in the frame of the bed and then infestion in a bath usually suffices.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jul 28 2008 15:17:41
    #

Login to Send PM

This is what I was talking about when we previously mentioned this topic:

http://www.yankeepostman.com/prodinfo.asp?number=134&variation=

I don't know whether or not they work. I just know they exist.

4. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 2 2008 13:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Bugologist. David, what do you mean by "infestation in a bath"? I don't want to take any chances with my friends' houses so I'd prefer to ensure my shoes are egg free.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 2 2008 14:15:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bugolgist--that looks like a definite possibility.

Mangy-- thanks for your review and please do keep us posted as you try other shoe styles. I originally linked to this shoe dryer because two readers tried and claimed to like it, but if it is giving people problems, I want to remove the links.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 2 2008 15:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

He probably meant immersion in a bath.

Jim

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 2 2008 16:15:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry just read that, it should read:

and then inspection in a bath usually suffices.

I will edit when I am in the office with 5 minutes to spare.

David

8. mangycur

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 2 2008 17:40:17
    #

Login to Send PM

OK Final Verdict: In my opinion, for my purposes, these magnetic things worked ok, but weren't that great. In the end I don't feel like I was ripped off, but I also feel that I would have been fine without them and could have used that 20 bucks for a CD or something.

Nobugs, if two other buggers like them, then maybe you should keep the link to them. That's 2 out of 3 people finding them useful. The product that bugologist linked to looks interesting as well, but not for my individual purposes. I don't know if you want to link to that?

Perhaps I'll post my experience on the "useful stuff" page just to give food for thought?

For anyone wanting details, they are: I go to a laundrymat with big, hot dryers.

I put plain sneakers in the magnetic contraptions, hoping to cut down on noise in dryer. The shoes were held in their contraptions for 20 minutes, then one of them fell out. I had to open the dryer and re-attach the shoes, then start the dryer again.

In another dryer I had 2 pairs of shoes thrown in with several pairs of sheets. These shoes were not attached to anything and bounced around. But honestly, I couldn't hear them over the general hum of the buzy laundramat, and I couldn't see them because of all the sheets.

My "two cents" for someone else in my situation would be to put the shoes into a pillowcase, safetypin the opening of the pillowcase securely shut, and let them dry as long as you like in the dryer, trusting that if any rubber were to actually melt, it would muss your pillowcase and not the dryer. If you still think you want these things, you could also use wires to attach the shoes more securely, or look into the product Bugologist linked to.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2010 16:41:55
    #

Login to Send PM

CleanShoes,

You need to read our terms and conditions. Introducing a new product is fine, but it is not okay to portray a disinterested secondhand viewpoint, when you're connected with the company (and I have evidence you are).

Perhaps you could give some factual data on why the other product "no longer works."

10. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 24 2011 0:59:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have one of those white mesh bags that is supposed to hang on the door but it doesn't quite fit over mine I don't think. Here is my fear... won't having the straps in the door keep the door from closing as tightly as normal? This could 1: keep the dryer from reaching maximum heat 2: make it all the easier for possible escapees to be able to sneak out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,735 posts in 50,026 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah