Pregnant, fed up & feeling hopeless

(8 posts)
  1. bugger5467

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Aug 4 2018 23:16:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometime around April/May of this year I came home from work and went to shower when I noticed a little bug crawling on my soap. My parents had recently had a BB problem they had just gotten rid of after about 2 months of treatment. I was pretty familiar w what they looked like from my curiously googling about it when my mom called to tell me what was going on. And I instantly knew this is what I’d found. And upon entering my bedroom to get dressed, wrapped in a towel I called my mom to tell her ab my find only to look down and see a bug on my foot and a small bite. At this point I was hysterical. Being that I am pregnant and my lease here ends in september I wanted the problem gone ASAP. I contacted my landlord and after days of him brushing it off I finally pulled the “im pregnant and this is a health hazard” card and he was pretty quick to finally agree to call pest control.
    I live in a multi unit home. 2 1br units upstairs and 1 3br unit downstairs. The girl who was living across from me had recently bought used furniture at the time and mentioned a week before she thought her cats had brought in fleas bc her boyfriend was waking up w bites but that she’d treated. So I had put two and two together and just assumed that the BB came from her furniture and w us sharing a hallway and our front doors being 3 ft away from each other I wasnt too shocked. I immediately informed her of the situation so she could check her apartment and she claimed to not find anything. However when pest control came a week later it was confirmed both of our apartments were minorly infested.
    They searched the apartment and I was told they were not found in the bedroom, only on my futon in the living room. Which is where my boyfriend and I sleep because it is more comfortable than my old nattress in the floor. I thought this was weird though bc i found one on my bed when i first sighted them but figured they knew how to do their jobs. Anyways they told us to get the apartment ready for treatment and theyd be back in a week. We took EVERY single clothing, blanket, towel piece of fabric in the house to the laundromat. After over 75$ 8hrs and lots of strange looks from people at the laundromat all of our things were washed and dried on high heat and bagged up tightly. We brought everything back to the apartment and we were careful to keep the bags closed up tightly for the next week to avoid anything getting inside. Fir our bedroom we just bagged up everything non clothing wise losely, sprayed down bed and dresser w 99% alcohol as well as the living room furniture. Pest control came the next week sid a treatment and left.
    I was still noticing them but only in the bathroom which makes absolutely no sense and i even stumped pest control w this. after2 weeks they came back and did another treatment. at this point we had gone back to normal living as they had rold us to do except we completely evacuated the bedroom in fear of spreading unfestation into there. However they still treated in there as a precaution which I was more than happy w. But they basically refused to treat the bathroom because they “typically dont treat them” and said we were probably tracking them into there from our socks and things like that.
    After2nd treatment i still was finding bugs, mostly dead. But get this, only in the bathroom and kitchen. You can imagine at this point im frustrated because this makes NO sense!! Ionly found ab 4 total and I believe only 1 alive in the kitchen. I informed my landlord and pest control returned 2weeks after last treatment. Finally they agreed to spray the bathroom. They inspected the furniture in the living room said they didnt find anything anywhere and we were “cleared”
    Weeks passed, i had my baby shower, moved in all babys new things and stored them in my closet since we are due to move in less than a month and theres no point in setting anything up just ro pack it again. I was feeling at peace. However 2 weeks ago I noticed a HUGE LIVE BB on bathroom wall I instantly called my landlord pissed and ready to give up. He sent pest control back over instantly and this time they treated the kitchen and bathroom as well as my hallway inside and the public hallway outside. They said they didn’t see anything but to keep our eyes open.
    Today, for the first tine in over 2 weeks i’ve found two dead BBs in kitchen and I just found one alive also in the kitchen. I instantly broke down in tears i am just so OVER it!! My situation makes no sense and I cant get rid of them. My neighbors recently moved away could it be possible they were still infested when they left and now their BB are finding their way over here? My apartment is no where NEAR up to par on my landlords end. Walls cracking, holes and cracks everywhere. Im sure the BBs can just stroll casually back and forth between our units. I only planned on living here for a year bc it is very cheap and i needed to save $. Is it unsafe to move w bed bugs still present?? I still have until sept 1. I cant afford to start over new w new furniture and just get rid of everything. The thought of having to bring a newborn into this situation is causing me so much stress and anxiety. I’m due on the 29th and baby can come anytime now. I feel lost and don’t know what to do none of this makes sense pest control doesn’t understand it and they’ve voiced that to me themselves. I’m afraid to start packing bc i dont want to seal away any bugs. Im one more BB away from a mental breakdown.

2. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 7:57:59
    #

Login to Send PM

You live on the second floor? Is the attic above you? Finding them in the bathroom and kitchen is odd- I wonder if they could be bat bugs? See if you can post a very up close photo for Lou. They will not go away if they are bat bugs unless the bats are removed first. We had bat bugs and it took a long time to figure out. They were coming down from the bathroom fan from the attic. Good luck. I’m so sorry you are going through this. Congratulations on your soon to be new baby!

3. bugger5467

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 20:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

not sure if that will work....

but found another in the bathroom sink. And yes the attic is above me. But we have no access and both entrances are nailed shut in both apartments

4. BedbugSTRESSING ME OUT

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 20:58:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Finding it in the bathroom sounds very fishy to me- I would be willing to bet your building has bats. You should talk to your landlord about it or you will never get rid of them.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 21:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Your link doesn't work for the picture. This part works.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0e0ufetbspund0m/Photo%20Aug%2005%2C%2020%2033%2029.jpg?
    It's not crisp and zooming in doesn't help. More of a close-up would be best. Set phone/camera at highest resolution and largest picture size. It's possible that it's a bat bug, but a better picture would really help. This year has been better for bat bugs being reported on bedbugger. Your pest controller really didn't ID the bug -- just saw it and immediately said bed bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. mcsmcs

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 22:38:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah I've noticed a ton of that bugs on bed bug her this year. You had identified one for me in like 2012 and I didn't see much about it and now me and bed bugs stressing me out have them. A co-worker and a friend who had them too. More awareness? More prevalence? red car phenomenon? I'm no expert it seems like the situation could be bat bugs or could be spread from other apartments.

7. bugger5467

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 23:52:21
    #

Login to Send PM

It definitely doesnt make much sense. Although I have hardwood floors in bathroom and kitchen so they are easier to spot and I’m always paranoid and looking around whenever I walk into a room. Still even if I’m tracking them in there like pest control suggested I think they’d be pretty easy to find on the futon I sleep on which I have never seen them there myself. I’ll be calling tomorrow to let my landlord know again, Ive found more. The next bug I find im going to keep to give to pest control and get a proper ID. And take a clearer picture. Compared w how my parents described their experience to mine I just feel like the pest control company my landlord goes through is a little less professional than the one my parents used. Instead of exploring the possibility of it being a different bug when I’ve explained the strange sightings they just tell me how weird it is and how they don’t understand what’s going on. I used to joke w my boyfriend that we had someone living in our attic bc i’d hear noises...maybe there are bats up there or were considering I dont hear any noise anymore. Maybe that’s why they’ve come down to search for food i dont know. Any time I’ve squished them theyre dry and dont seem to have recently fed though none are nymphs. The first time I ever found one when it bit me was the only time I had squished one and blood came out.

8. Rf1024

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 1:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I think immediately what you can do right now so that you are at least not getting bit, and to reduce your numbers and prevent them from increasing until you can figure this out is:

First, buy these bed climb up interceptors, it will at least prevent them front crawling up onto you from the floor while you are sleeping- https://www.amazon.com/Climbup-Interceptor-Bed-Bug-Trap/dp/B0033SC0LI

Secondly, to avoid the ones that are already on your bed from crawling onto you and biting you buy this bed bug proof mattress case for your mattress AND box spring (if you have one, i know you said you have a futon, if thats the case atleast cover the mattress on top, and anything that's under it) this is the one I just recently bought and its pretty good and cheap- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultimate-Guardian-Lab-Tested-100-Percent-Bed-Bug-Proof-Mattress-Protector/54289936

Thirdly, FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous earth will help kill a lot of them if you sprinkle it around your room. NOT IN EXCESS, IN EXCESS IT CAN CAUSE YOU BREATHING PROBLEMS because the dust can be too much. Just sprinkle a decent amount of it all around your bed and in the corners of your room and anywhere you think they will walk by,- (after you have already vacuumed) this apparently dehydrates them and kills them.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPXGNTO/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

Also, try not to move from room to room sleeping, I know your first instinct when you wake up in the middle of the night being bitten is go and sleep on the couch, try not to do this, all this is going to do is bring the infestation from one room to the other room causing more problems. Try to keep it contained in one room and use the above steps to try to lessen the amount of bugs that are biting you. Doing this will starve most of them out to lessen the number drastically so that when the exterminators do come, their tactics are more efficient.

Vacuum daily to remove any eggs that are laid around your carpet to avoid them from hatching and continuing their cycle. Make sure you are discarding the vacuum bags properly also (https://www.bedbugs.umn.edu/bed-bug-control-in-residences/vacuuming)
    continue to do your laundry at a high heat every day as much as you can, I know you are probably tired, try your best I know how over whelming it feels.

Clean your bedding as often as you can on high heat. Do not let your blankets from your bed touch the floor, this will defeat the entire purpose of the climb up interceptors.

there are also certain essential oils you can stick on your body as well before you go to sleep to deter them from biting you......You can google them.

Also be very careful with exterminators, a lot of them will purposely not treat the bed bugs, so they are guaranteed to have to come back and make more money, watch this video he explains things very well:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Player

I wish you luck with this and I hope you and baby are well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,537 posts in 45,810 topics over 139 months by 20,174 of 20,973 members. Latest: busbugs, jklyczek, Thisguy97