Preemptive Strike?

(4 posts)
  1. Mclauglm

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2016 16:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I stayed at my friend's house on Friday night and helped her pack (to move to a new apartment). I woke up Saturday and later in the day developed itchy spots. By nighttime, these spots had turned into welts and I counted over 50 of them. I react strongly to mosquito bites and last time I stayed there had been bitten so didn't think too much of it. Saturday my welts continued to grow so I went to a clinic to get them checked and get some super strength itch stopper. The Dr. said they didn't look like bed bug bites so I didn't worry. My friend had an exterminator come to check her house this morning (Monday) and found she had a mild case bed bugs. I am now worried bc I have my clothes and bag in my room of my apartment for two days and they were previously on her bed and laying against her bed overnight. I called a PCO and they said it's not worth them checking it out at this time and I should wait. Is there anything I should be doing now? I plan to wash/dry my clothes and backpack (in high heat) and vacuum as soon as I get home from work. Additionally, I am getting a mattress and box spring encasement. Should I put a light dusting of Diatomaceous Earth to stop them in their tracks or no?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2016 16:27:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You could probably hold off on the DE. Start inspecting on a weekly basis for the next three weeks. Bedbug control isn't that complicated if you catch them early enough.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Mclauglm

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 2 2016 9:22:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Jim Danca! I washed and vacuumed everything last night as I said and didn't see a single one so I'm going to cross my fingers and keep checking.

4. vjayasha

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 3 2016 17:40:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe this might be a perfect example where getting climb ups or other passive detectors can give you more of a peace of mind? It is helping me though you will start to catch other things that you never noticed but at least will help catch a problem early if there is one? I'm totally in this stage.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982