Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Precautionary advice

(5 posts)
  1. Felix811

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 16:18:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So, our PCO came out yesterday for our third treatment and gave us the all clear (but still treated just in case), with instructions to begin unpacking our trashbag suitcases in ten days (at which point we will have gone 3.5 weeks without a sighting or bite, and no evidence of infestation. I'm not posting my success story yet though, just in case it turns out not to be one.

That being said, upon my arrival to work today (I'm a therapist in a recovery home) I learned that several of our rooms are infested, including the couches in the group room. I sit in a plastic chair to give myself some protection, but I obviously don't want to be too distracting. Laundry costs me $2.00 per dry, and it's not in my apartment, so although I could dry every night after work, it would be both time consuming and expensive. So what do we think? Am I safe in my plastic throne or are there other precautions I can take to keep the bedbugs at bay?

Any advice would be appreciated, but at the same time, I'm so tired of living like I'm homeless, so Super hypervigilant responses are not practical for me.

Thanks.

2. KeepingALevelHead

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 17:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

What if you bag your things (clothes and shoes) and switch into your non exposed items (shoes, bag, clothes) in the bathroom before you leave so that nothing is exposed in your car and do a drying cycle once or twice a week when everything clears up? Theres no reason to do every night if you can do it every few days until work is cleared?

3. Felix811

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 21:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

That's something I can do. Ugh. Bedbugs are such a pain. My plan for now is to bag them when I get home... Since I definitely didn't plan for this when I came in to work today. I'll do a thorough clothing inspection when I get home to look for any hitchhikers. And I definitely won't go in the bedroom in my possibly contaminated clothes.

4. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2015 21:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

So, sorry to hear that Felix has invaded your workplace

Could this have been the original source of your infestation?

I agree, there is no reason to do the dryer protocol daily. As long as you contain your work clothes in a sealed bag, you could save it all up for your regular laundry day. Maybe you could use an XL resealable bag as a temporary hamper of sorts.

The good news is that you have a good attitude and a lot of bed bug knowledge now, so you can absolutely get through this latest situation.

I'm assuming you're using encasements and passive monitors. So even if one or two do manage to sneak home with you (worst case scenario) you'll find out right away so you can nip the situation in the bud.

What are they doing to deal with the situation at work?

Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  5. Felix811

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2015 9:37:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Without a doubt it was the source of my original infestation. I have suspected as much since the beginning.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I have encasements for the mattress and pillows, but no monitors yet (I haven't had time to get to the store yet and it didn't make sense to get them when I knew we had them lol).. But I am planning to get them this weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have bed legs so I have to find something other than the climb ups which is a major bummer.

Work is doing what they can, but I work with a population that has a high overturn level. 70+ people live here that are constantly coming and going. Some are actively psychotic, so although we do our best with cleanliness, some clients just don't get the importance of drying laundry and showering daily. Plus, a lot were homeless or are coming in from shelters or prison and buying second hand because it's all they can afford. Like I said, We do our best at controlling the problem, but it's difficult to eradicate when there is a frequent source of reinfestation. They've tried heat treating the whole building, buying all new furniture... Unfortunately, it's just a hard thing to control with this population.

Thanks for the help!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982