oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 7:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sample artrived:

IMG_0973 by David Cain, on Flickr

I call it as bedbugs and not bat bugs. So yes odd location and without adjoining neighbours I can only conclude something about treatment has driven them there or something about the living conditions is depositing them there.

I would need to know step by step and more details to narrow things down.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 11:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice shot of a bed bug, David. Perfect for ID purposes. Too bad wasn't a bat bug. I've had a few sent so far but from U.S.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. paulfoel

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 14:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 day ago  » 
    Hi,
    Sample artrived:
    IMG_0973 by David Cain, on Flickr
    I call it as bedbugs and not bat bugs. So yes odd location and without adjoining neighbours I can only conclude something about treatment has driven them there or something about the living conditions is depositing them there.
    I would need to know step by step and more details to narrow things down.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Many thanks David.

Some info:-

- Thats 3 found in ensuite bathroom in last few weeks.
    - Nothing in passive monitors in bathroom.
    - Nothing at all in bedrooms or in passive monitors there.
    - Nothing found for the last week at least.
    - PCO did treat the bedrooms (twice) but did not do the ensuite.
    - I've put diamatacous earth in bedrooms and bathroom.

Worth getting treatment again (inc bathroom)? Or just monitor for now and maybe write off as last one or two that have moved into bathroom and are gone now?

4. paulfoel

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 14:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Many thanks David.

Some info:-

- Thats 3 found in ensuite bathroom in last few weeks.
    - Nothing in passive monitors in bathroom.
    - Nothing at all in bedrooms or in passive monitors there.
    - Nothing found for the last week at least.
    - PCO did treat the bedrooms (twice) but did not do the ensuite.
    - I've put diamatacous earth in bedrooms and bathroom.

Worth getting treatment again (inc bathroom)? Or just monitor for now and maybe write off as last one or two that have moved into bathroom and are gone now?

5. paulfoel

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 14:44:49
    #

Login to Send PM

BTW - "living conditions depositing them there"?

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 15:03:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would need to know exactly what they treated with and how to work this one out which means going through the previously treated process on the website so the information is in standard format.

David

7. paulfoel

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 18 2019 15:22:22
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 3 days ago  » 
    Hi,
    I would need to know exactly what they treated with and how to work this one out which means going through the previously treated process on the website so the information is in standard format.
    David

OK cheers David. No more in bathroom since. BUT one live one on the bed (in the daytime). No other signs or anything in passive monitors.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Jan 18 2019 15:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

What are your likely sources?

David

9. paulfoel

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 5:23:12
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 13 hours ago  » 
    What are your likely sources?
    David

I really am at a loss now. Like I said its detached house and they are nowhere else we can find evidence of in the house.

Is it possible that these are just stragglers?

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 5:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Ok, not the question I asked.

In bedbug terms when I talk about sources it’s in terms of infestation dynamics, how are the bedbugs getting into the home and specifically what steps need to be taken to ensure that cycle is not repeated.

The hard part here is that this is usually worked out by inspection and observation and we don’t have that data from your end. The only solution is for you to read up on infestation dynamics and sources (search the forum and read TbyPMR) so you can work it out.

If you start with a simple hypothesis of:

someone is bringing bedbugs into my home, if that repeatedly occurs we will have an ongoing problem.

You are stuck at the “how do I kill” you need to be looking at “how is the happening to begin with”.

Annoyingly and like all jobs it’s experience that gets you there fastest because you know what signs to look for and are adapted to doing so. Working on your own you need to learn all of that before you start solving the problem and the instinct draws you automatically to MUST treat NOW.

David

11. paulfoel

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 18:49:05
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 13 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Ok, not the question I asked.
    In bedbug terms when I talk about sources it’s in terms of infestation dynamics, how are the bedbugs getting into the home and specifically what steps need to be taken to ensure that cycle is not repeated.
    The hard part here is that this is usually worked out by inspection and observation and we don’t have that data from your end. The only solution is for you to read up on infestation dynamics and sources (search the forum and read TbyPMR) so you can work it out.
    If you start with a simple hypothesis of:

someone is bringing bedbugs into my home, if that repeatedly occurs we will have an ongoing problem.

You are stuck at the “how do I kill” you need to be looking at “how is the happening to begin with”.
    Annoyingly and like all jobs it’s experience that gets you there fastest because you know what signs to look for and are adapted to doing so. Working on your own you need to learn all of that before you start solving the problem and the instinct draws you automatically to MUST treat NOW.
    David

Right. With you....

I assumed that the ones we are seeing are left overs or whatever from the initial infestation that hadn't been killed by treatment? I hadn't thought that these were "new" ones getting in.

Must admit I have no idea. They generally don't come in on clothes do they? Not sure how else. House is detached so no neighbours. They wouldnt be coming from outside as in the garden would they?

Saying that found one on the ceiling today, far corner away from bed, which I don't understand. Is it possible they are in the attic and getting through? Not sure. We think the initial infestation was due to bringing them home on suitcases (suitcases were on spare bed for a while which was the worse one). These suitcases went up into the attic (the guy did spray them last time he was here).

Is this possible? That there are some still in the attic maybe? And making their way down?
    (Hell of a job to clear all the junk in my attic!)

12. paulfoel

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 19:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah I get you now.

Im just assuming that whatever there now is still part of the initial infestation. Hadn't thought these were new ones coming in from somewhere?

Detached house so I guess not neighbours? Or is this possible still that they are "outside" (its about 5 feet between houses).

We "think" initial infestation was due to our suitcases when we back from florida. Cases went onto spare bed (which was the worse), now cases are in attic. They were sprayed last time by the PCO but is it possible that we've got a bunch living in the attic still? And now travelling down?:

(Big job clearing all the junk in my attic!) Is it worht putting a monitor up there?

Other than public transport don't use. Our cars? Is this a possibility? Must admit I always thought transfer via person clothes was pretty rare.

13. paulfoel

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jan 19 2019 19:26:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Just read the document you mentioned. Very good.

Has got me wondering if we are bringing more into the house accidentally. As per previous post we think it started with our cases from holiday in florida when they were stored on the spare bed. Of course, never considered that these cases were also in the car. Never considered that they would still be in the car of course.

Never clean my car. BUT did have it valeted this week. Maybe I should have before.

So is it possible that new ones are transferring on clothes from the car?

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 20 2019 3:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

One of the big problems with bedbugs is the assumptions people make. Sometimes these can be sensible ideas but badly executed or just plane redicous ideas. I am sure you can see how some people deal with this better than others.

It’s better to avoid the assumptions and deal with data, otherwise you run the risk of declaring victory only for your hope and dreams to be dashed a few days later when skin reactions occur again.

The annoying part is that after years of doing the job you develop a sort of sixth sense / deja vu whereby the data draws you towards answers without assumptions.

Otherwise by definition it will always be the last thing you think of.

David

15. paulfoel

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jan 20 2019 11:53:14
    #

Login to Send PM

OK. Looking at the facts now.

1) 3/4 months ago we had signs of bugs in two bedrooms. Confirmed by PCO who treated. 3rd bedroom was also treated but no signs.
    2) Month later we were still seeing some live ones so PCO re-treated.
    3) I've laid DE in addition.
    4) Since then we've had no signs, nothing in traps, no bites.
    5) 5-6 live ones seen since then (3 in en suite bathroom, 1 on bed, 1 on ceiling).
    6) Initial infestation started a few weeks after returning from holidays in Florida. Suitcases were left on spare bed (worse infestation). (which is always in use anyway).
    7)No public transport.
    8)No signs in either car but mine is very dirty inside.
    9) Detached house so no neighbours.
    10) Nothing in workplace (mine anyway).
    11) Wife is District Nurse who visits many homes.
    12) We have cats who come in and sleep on the bed in main bedroom.
    13) Cases from holiday are in attic above main bedroom. Attic is packed with junk. So signs I could see there though.

I'm at a bit of a loss but current plan is:-

1) Check my car a bit more thoroughly/ put trap in there.
    2) Check attic again for signs.
    3) Ask wife to check when she visits houses etc.
    4) Ensure cats don't sleep on the bed. (is it even possible they can transfer on animals?)

Does this seem to make sense? Which seems likely source here?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,364 posts in 47,671 topics over 147 months by 21,010 of 21,335 members. Latest: m4ry143, aptacek, MS__04