Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Post treatment, how will I know if they come back? Discussion please!

(2 posts)
  1. RowHomeOwner

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 14 2015 22:27:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

We just went through our second whole house heat treatment, luckily this one was under warranty. We followed up with a chemical treatment of the whole house too (Alpine in walls, Onslaughter and Zenprox elsewhere).

After the chemical treatment, I'm hoping to figure out what to do next. There are some obvious things:

1) keep your clothing in bags for as long as you can stand it (min 6 months and try for 18 months).
    2) keep a vigilant eye out for new signs of bedbugs from feces, skins, live bugs, etc.

What else can we do? I've seen different opinions on the site and I'd welcome some opinions on it.

1) Should we continue to use climb-ups and encasements as a means of monitoring? or do we remove them so we can have proof (bites) if the bugs return?
    2) Just ordered a passive bed bug monitor, can you use it with the climb ups?
    3) Should we caulk/seal (I hear sealant is preferred) cracks along the baseboards or will that risk dispersing any remaining bugs?
    4) Should we continue DIY chemical treatment sprays (if so which ones?) after the final chemical treatment along the baseboards and within the outlets just to make sure they stay away?

Is there anything else?!

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 16 2015 11:57:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear RowHomeOwner,

First, I would like to say that you are (obviously) using a professional for your bed bug treatments. Therefore, IMO, you should always check with the company that you are using for the answers to some of your questions, as to not jeopardize the warranty you have with them!

With that being said, here are a few of my thoughts on your specific questions . . .

RowHomeOwner -  » 
    1) or do we remove them so we can have proof (bites) if the bugs return?

No, as in . . . oh hell no (in my opinion). I cannot imagine any pro that recommends encasements advising you to remove them at this point. I understand that you received two heat treatments, but what if one bug or one egg survived the treatment that is being trapped inside the encasement? You want to potentially let it out?

RowHomeOwner -  » 
    2) Just ordered a passive bed bug monitor, can you use it with the climb ups?

The professional that invented the passive monitor does not recommend using climb ups with them. Here are two threads that I believe discuss this (I haven’t read them in a long time, I just have them in my “library” . . . let me know if they don’t contain the information you are seeking regarding this question):
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/isolating-bed-and-passive-monitor

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/monitors-and-pitfalls-oh-my

RowHomeOwner -  » 
    3) Should we caulk/seal (I hear sealant is preferred) cracks along the baseboards or will that risk dispersing any remaining bugs?

I believe most professionals on here recommend sealing if you live in a multi-unit dwelling (with perhaps using a dust before sealing).

RowHomeOwner -  » 
    4) Should we continue DIY chemical treatment sprays (if so which ones?) after the final chemical treatment along the baseboards and within the outlets just to make sure they stay away?

This is one I was specifically referring to talking with your PCO and/or treating company. You don’t want to do anything that would void their warranty (although I can’t imagine supplementing their work would . . . but you might want to verify that). (Also, “dusts” are usually used in outlets, not sprays.)

RowHomeOwner -  » 
    Is there anything else?!

I know we’ve probably asked this along the way sometime, but I’m sorry I can’t remember the answer . . . have all adjoining units been inspected to make sure they are not infested and that you are not getting bed bugs from them?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,696 posts in 50,018 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur