Post travel debugging.

(2 posts)
  1. Itchy all over

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2014 23:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We just returned from a two week stay at a vacation cabin. Week one was great, on Monday of week two my husband and I woke up with bites all over us (mostly me). We thought they were some type of flea bite at first and tried various insect repellents the next couple of nights to keep from being bitten. It did not work. Our sons in the bedroom next to ours (which shared a wall with ours) did not have any bites, and our daughter sleeping in the living room had none either. I tried taking all of our bedding and pillows and running them through the hot cycle in the dryer. I think this killed the live bugs at least, as I used the pillow and comforter for the next few nights while sleeping out in the living room with my daughter and did not get any new bites. On our way home my husband started to do some more research and came to the conclusion that it was most likely bedbugs biting us. He based this on the fact that he woke up one night and squished a few bugs that were "scurrying" not hopping as fleas would, and the small brown stains on our sheets after a few nights.
    My question is, how can I best treat all of our stuff before bringing it back into the house? Our trip home was two days in our van, with all of our luggage in the back, laundry bagged in plastic and wetbags. We went straight to the laundry room when we got home, stripped, threw everything in the wash and showered. It's been washed on hot and dried on hot for over an hour. I brought a few other items in: my purse, toiletry bags, and some snack items we had for travel. My purse and a few toiletry bags were washable, but only on delicate with air dry. I just ran them through the wash in a pillowcase on warm with low agitation. When I opened the pillowcase after I found a few dead bugs. What would be the next best step to rid them of bugs and eggs without ruining them? I have a steamer ( the type used for heavy duty cleaning and removing wallpaper). Would that work?
    And what is the best method for bringing everything back into the house to wash and clean it? Should I steam the suitcases outside before bringing them into the garage? Also, how do I treat my van to make sure it's not infested?
    I also have Diatomeceous earth, if that's of any help.

2. bbcomox

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 10 2014 0:06:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not an expert,; here are my suggestions:

My question is, how can I best treat all of our stuff before bringing it back into the house?

You mentioned that you put items in the dryer on hot. This is the key step in killing any bedbugs that might have hitch hiked onto your stuff. For items that cannot be placed in the dryer, you could either carefully inspect them or use pest strips. This site has information on how to use pest strips.

"I just ran them through the wash in a pillowcase on warm with low agitation. When I opened the pillowcase after I found a few dead bugs. "

Could you please post photos of dead bugs here? You could get experts here to identify the bugs properly.

"Also, how do I treat my van to make sure it's not infested?"

Vehicles may be able to be fumigated to kill bedbugs. I will let others to provide information in this regard.

Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,898 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019