Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Post Move Anxiety: Packtited pjs I slept in in my old infested home

(14 posts)
  1. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 1 2011 23:12:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Washed, dried and packtited with a full load for 6-8 hours.

Please tell me I'm being ridiculous. They're the only bedding I have with me.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 0:21:22
    #

Login to Send PM

The following does not represent professional psychological or pest control advice!

---

You mean you're Packtiting things you already washed and dried on hot?

If so, yes, it's overkill.

But you just moved so if it alleviates anxiety and lets you get some sleep, then no harm done. If you kept doing this indefinitely, I would be more worried.

If you really must "overkill" then why not just go for putting already dried PJs in a hot dryer for 30 minutes?

(Yes, 20 would probably do it even if there was a bug.
    No, it really is not necessary to re-dry.
    However, if you need to do something to alleviate the anxiety, the time and energy savings would make this a bit more sensible, IMO.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 4:14:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't trust the laundry so I've been drying things but not to kill. I dont have a dryer in the house.

Instead I've packtited them. Because I was running out of time I started packtiting overnight, so my clothes were heated overnight for 6-8 hours. It probably took 2 hours to reach 120.

Either way, I was finally able to get over using the same pjs here that I have worn through much of this ordeal.

I woke up with a bite, but my skin is really hiving from the stress so I'm not sure that it's anything. It faded in the spam of a couple hours.

4. hevenbnd24

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 10:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Ashamed & Scratching:
    I totally feel your anxiety! We just moved also, all clothes are in black bags out in the garage. I'm still having nightmares!
    And terrified to bring anything in.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 15:48:25
    #

Login to Send PM

AandS,

Packtiting is great too. I was just suggesting that you not overdo it quite so much. I think you said you washed and dried and then Packtited for 6-8 hours. I suggest you use the temperature probe to assure yourself the right temperature is being reached and then maintained for the necessary amount of time per instructions.

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 20:55:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly, I did that for convenience. I needed to sleep and get it all done.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 2 2011 22:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I was commenting only because in your original Post you seemed to be asking if what you did was overkill. Perhaps I misunderstood. I think I get it now.

That said, I don't know if there's any risk to running the product for 8 hours straight, but I believe the manufacturer says not to run it unattended.

8. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 0:03:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I was packtiting until the movers arrived. It was the only way I could have finished!

I'm sure that as with anything that heats up, it's not an advisable way to do it.

Honestly, this thread came about because I couldn't bring myself to open anything last night. I was just laying on my air mattress, freezing. I understood logically I had done everything, but I couldnt get myself to accept it emotionally.

I'm sorry for any frustration I created by being less than clear.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 9:36:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you're able to relax more now, AandS.

10. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 10:28:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, NoBugs. You, my parents, my friends, my boss, my casual acquaintances and coworkers all agree.

Even if not all of them know why I'm bugged out.

/bad punning

11. EndOfMyRope

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 13:18:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Ashamed,

Im not a pro, but I think whatever you need to do to achieve peace of mind and ultimately, get GOOD sleep, do it.. I believe someone else said, if you feel the need to go to extremes for a long period of time, then Id be concerned - I have to agree with that as well..

IMHO, pat yourself on the back, my friend. Call me crazy, but I think, With the hell youve been through, Id consider it a victory to get past the emotional stuff and wear the pjs you wore during the infestation, and do so successfully ..kudos my friend!! Keep moving forward

12. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Oct 3 2011 17:03:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks you, EoMR. I don't think that what I've experienced is that terrible. Typical, I think, for most NYCers who deal with this situation. It's just excacerbated by my anxiety and my bug-phobia.

I just want to get to the point where I feel safe, but as long as I keep untreated stuff, I wonder if I will, no matter how much care I take.

But someday, I'll trust my work.

13. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2011 7:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

AshScratch,

I'm glad that you're more than likely beyond this horrid experience. Best luck going forward!

14. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Oct 4 2011 22:29:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, OhNoes! When my stuff is unpacked and my skin no longer crawls, I will feel like it's over.

Until then, packtiting like mad in reverse!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,696 posts in 50,018 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur