(7 posts)
  1. loninappleton

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jan 22 2015 14:50:08
    #

Login to Send PM

My first post to BB.
    I had a professional heat treatment about a month ago. It is cold here and so there is some delay in removing bedding but the box and mattress are in full BB encasements.

Yesterday I was reading a book and a tiny runner went upwards across the page. Reflexively
    I made it a small red spot on the page where it ran. It looked to be a spider but my reflexive action got it without a lot of inspection.

I tried to look up book lice book spiders and other possible crawling things found in books. The book is a library book checked out since the heat treatment. I believe the heat treatment was effective and have seen no activity. I have continued to use the dryer heat treatment for clothing and low setting on the oven for some items. I used the oven treatment (lowest setting) on this hardbound book in question.

After 30 days the Wilkil says their guarantee is up. What is the opinion here? If a red spot is made and the insect is smaller than the adult, what is the verdict?

2. loninappleton

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jan 28 2015 12:14:58
    #

Login to Send PM

After numerous discussions and lookups I found this today:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080913203950AAS8JKx

It described my experience exactly: no previous sightings until the red dot ran across the
    page. The writer had the same automatic reaction I had to get rid of it.

But what I did today was ask my library what they are doing to minimize the
    probability of book bugs.

Will report back with any answer they might have. As a professional organization they are no doubt aware of the problem. But reporting of these events is important in this so-called "non reporting State" of Wisconsin, USA.

[Also thanks to bed bugger for adding tags which I don't know how to do well.]

3. thranta

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 21 2018 11:37:04
    #

Login to Send PM

How did the library respond? Just asking as I also live in Wisconsin, and two of the larger cities with busy libraries (Green Bay) and (Appleton) recently had the local news calling them out on bed bugs, and I think that a couple locations were closed to deal with the issues, including dogs coming in to sniff out any leftover bugs.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 21 2018 12:10:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Original post is 3 years old and possible the person is no longer active on the list. So you might not get an answer.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. hearty

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 21 2018 15:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thranta, thanx for posting. I looked up the news and saw the recent library infestation in Racine. Definitely another cautionary tale we need to be mindful of.

6. buckfedfugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 12:03:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen heat treatments not work done by a PCO. They run from the heat, and can run fast!

Work in a group home, have delt with these nightmares for years.
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 12:31:23
    #

Login to Send PM

buckfedfugs - 26 minutes ago  » 
    I have seen heat treatments not work done by a PCO. They run from the heat, and can run fast!

Actually they run/become active when the heat hits a point that is around or slightly above our body temperature. At a higher point is when they try to find harborage areas.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956