Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Post Bedbug Bites - I'm going crazy, are these carpet beetles?

(4 posts)
  1. vanillabean

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Aug 5 2014 23:17:03
    #

Login to Send PM

so I slept in a bedbug infested hotel room at the end of June and endured about 100 bites. I was super allergic and got huge bright red welts around each bite. I ended up getting steroids from the doctor, and the bites took 2 weeks to heal. Now (5 weeks later), they are finally turning brown.

My problem is, I recently started getting these other bites... and they are in the same pattern as my bedbug bites. However, I am not getting the same reaction. These are tiny. They start off as white bumps, start itching a couple of hours later, swell up to a little mosquito like bite, stop itching after 20 mins, and swell back down to a tiny red bump after a couple hours.

I've read a lot of other posts about mysterious bites, but have not seen posts of their actual bites. So here is what mine look like. The dark brown spots are my scars from my previous bedbug bites. The tiny white ones are the new ones Ive been getting every night/day. I don't even know when I get them. I just notice them out of the blue, and they always seem to form a line or curve of some sort. I am optimistic that they are not bedbugs, and that I have not developed an immunity to it, but are they carpet beetle bites? fleas?? Does anyone have a similar experience? I wash my sheets practically every other day. I have never been allergic to anything in my house.... what can it be?? =( =(

I also have a mattress encasement, and have not seen any signs of bedbugs.

2. bedbugtakeover

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2014 6:23:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I am not an expert and no one, Dr. included can tell if your bites are bedbugs. IF you don't mind me asking, did you see any actual bedbugs while in the hotel? Did you take any precautions when there to not bring them back with you?

3. HidingFromTheBugs

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2014 9:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I know it's not offering a lot but I'm fairly certain that carpet beetles don't bite. I'm hesitant to believe doctors can tell a whole lot from bites/reactions on the body. In my case: General Practitioner - "I know what bed bug bites look like and that's definitely not it" Dermotologist - Those are definitely not bug bites. Biopsied 2 samples of my skin and said it was a "drug eruption". Allergist - You don't appear to have any allergies and those don't look like bed bug bites. Long story short they were all wrong and I'm convinced should not be telling patients with an air of authority that something is DEFINITELY not a bug bite. Could have saved me months of thinking I was dying from a rare disease instead of getting bit by tiny devils from hell.

4. vanillabean

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 6 2014 11:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys for replying to my post!

I actually never thought to check the hotel room for bedbugs when I was there, since I have never heard of them nor encountered them before. I did notice dark spots all over my white comforter, and I assumed it was from my bag which I flung onto the bed when I arrived. My bites did not react till 2 days after I came home (I stayed in Hotel for 3 days). I read reviews of the hotel online, and saw other travelers complaining about bedbugs as well. My bites were also exactly the same as all other pictures of bedbugs online, trails of 1s 2s and 3s down stomach and lower back, and along my panty line

I took my luggage out to my backyard for 5 days. It was ~83F outside under direct sunlight.. don't know if the inside actually got hot enough, and have inspected every thing I brought back in.. but that was after 2 days of it sitting opened in my living room downstairs (I sleep in bedroom upstairs).. Im hoping they don't climb stairs (wishful thinking)

Anyway, I know nobody can diagnose based on bites alone, but I just wanted to see if there is anyone else out there who is experiencing similar bites (so I don't feel so alone). I have bedbug monitors on the way, so hopefully I can rule out bedbugs first.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto