possibly just one?

(6 posts)
  1. alc23

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 6 2010 15:38:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Since November 2009, I have gotten bites about once a month, usually on the same part of my body or in nearby places. I was worried that it could be a bedbug issue, especially since I travel a lot, but since it happened so rarely, I admit to being in denial about it.

In April and May, I didn't get any bites, and neither did my parents who stayed with me several days and slept in my bed. Then maybe the very end of May and now the beginning of June, I've had a couple incidences, again on the same part of my body. Since I am moving out of my apartment at the end of June and traveling a fair amount, I realized I have to do something, so I spoke with my landlady, who gave me a multitude of spray type insecticides, and I've treated primarily the area around my bed two or three times.

I think this must have driven out a bedbug, because I found one this evening. It looks like a male, and I know that the insecticide I have been using kills bedbugs, because it sure killed it when I sprayed it!

My question: I know that I can't make any assumptions, and frankly don't want to get my hopes up. However, does it sound possible that I somehow picked up one bedbug and have now killed it? It just seems odd to me that the number of bites never really increased. I don't want to bother my landlady if it was just the one, but of course if I get any more bites I know she has to know.

2. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 6 2010 15:56:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Do males and females look different? I didn't know that. How can you tell?

3. alc23

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jun 6 2010 16:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, they don't look all that different, but I found side-by-side images where the female looks slightly more round than the male, which is more elongated. Of course, I'll be honest, I'm also psychologically invested in hoping it's male!

4. alc23

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 1:47:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I must have woken up seven times last night thinking I was getting bitten and that it's all wishful thinking. Which it probably is... but a girl can dream!

5. OCDthx2BBs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jun 7 2010 1:50:12
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL- I hope all 6 of the ones Ive seen were males too.... What are the odds?

6. alc23

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jun 10 2010 12:36:12
    #

Login to Send PM

As an update to the story - no new bites so far, and my landlady has been great. I've vacuumed multiple times, mopped with an insecticide floor cleaner (I've never seen this before, but I'm living in France right now). New bed, the old one has been thrown out. Tomorrow morning I'm setting off some kind of bug bomb, which I've read on these forums is not necessarily a good answer, but it was recommended and ordered by a pharmacist in town (lesson learned, French pharmacists also identify bugs apparently), so I'm just hoping it might be that they're treated differently here. It's called ParaStop, and contains permethrine, piperonyl butoxyde, and pyriproxyfene.

Still have my fingers crossed that I just brought one over from somewhere, but in case there are more, I'm treating the heck out of my apartment!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me