Possibly Fecal?

(5 posts)
  1. Bugfreak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 22:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Been a while since I posted here and I really thought we had dodged a serious bullet. . .more on that another time.

Tonight I was looking at sheets in the bed I have relegated my husband to since this nightmare began (he continues to be the "bait") and there were lots of blood spots. These were pretty big "spots" some half a centimeter to a three-quarters of a centimeter in diameter and some that were a bit streaky but still fairly wide. They were all definitely blood-colored- not black as many have described them.

It is really dry here and he does tend to have really dry skin in winter (his hands bleed a lot) and to cut himself shaving a lot (there were lots of stains on the pillowcase through to the pillow as well). But still I was kind of shocked. Most of the marks were down by his feet and he cannot pinpoint a recent wound but he wasn't taking me too seriously. I have been checking sheets weekly for months and this was the most I have ever seen. I checked the mattress and box spring as I do every week- nothing.

I don't have pictures as I promptly washed the sheets and blanket. I guess I am wondering whether the large size of the spots can rule fecal in or out. Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 9:51:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bedbugs never leave red marks unless you squash them after they have fed, in which case you would see the crushed body as well. 3/4 cm is also much too big. Fecal spots are normally 1-2 mm across and can be black though to light tan brown or even cream. Immediately after feeding the fecal spots are always black and so this is by far the most common colour of spots found on bed sheets.

Hope that helps,

R

3. Bugfreak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 10:33:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much Richard. The logical side of me knows these were likely not fecal- the irrational side of me was envisioning reliving the stress of this fall!

You have helped a lot.

-Bugfeak

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 13:20:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry but I 100% disagree.

I have tried numerous times to crush a bedbug on a bed and it takes more force than you can do with a human, beds and humans are too soft.

The link below gives a visual guide to blood spots on sheets:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/DB2/bloodspotsPP.pdf

The red marks you describe are not definitive of bedbugs as you correctly said it could be cuts or other issues.

Bedbug faecal material is always dark in colour, technically a dark brown made of layers of bunt ochra colour. Any light tan to biscuit deposits are actually bedbugs version of urine and as such are not faecal, this is why you only see them in situations where bedbugs are well fed and in much lower quantities than the darker faecal stains. I generally avoid posting about them because they are harder to find and thus not a good diagnostic tool to discuss with people who do not have advanced detection skills.

The bottom line is that if you want help confirming things first help yourself and take a picture so we can give you an opinion based on the most accurate information available.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Bugfreak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 16:29:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, so I am seriously bad at the digital/online photo thing but this is my best try. . .

Although I washed the sheets, I realized that there were stains on the pillow itself that may well have gone through the pillowcase or may be from another source (bbs or a cut hand that slipped between the case and the pillow). I photographed them and they are posted here. Sorry for the bad quality:

http://img121.imageshack.us/i/img0593v.jpg/
    http://img15.imageshack.us/i/img0588w.jpg/
    http://img832.imageshack.us/i/img0586t.jpg/
    http://img690.imageshack.us/i/img0585ef.jpg/

Hope the links work.

As I said, almost all of the "spots" (there were probably 10 of them in total that appeared sometime in the last week) both on the sheets and on the pillow were rather large 1/4+ of an inch in diameter and they were all easily identified as dried blood- some more reddish than others. They were also only on the top sheet- not sure if that would matter much.

Thanks for any further info. Much appreciated.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982