(4 posts)
  1. Stable19

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Mar 5 2019 21:34:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone!
    New to this website, I must say it’s been extremely helpful to me in this whole situation. 3 months ago we discovered we had bbs. Thought we were in the clear only to discover them in our couch and chair after our PCO said we were good. I left the chair in our garage for 6 weeks, steamed and vacuumed it many times, and after inspecting it again decided to bring it inside to our basement. I checked every single day and even had our inspector look again and he said all good! After it had been inside for 6 days, I discovered two live bugs in the corner of the chair. So disappointed as we were at week 7 of nothing inside the house! I guess my question is how likely is it for bugs to have made it upstairs in 6 days from our basement. In my head I am thinking these bugs are starving, they have to have tried to come upstairs. No one is ever in our basement. The chair was threaded 2 times and my PCO said to toss it! Thanks to you all!

2. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 6 2019 9:35:22
    #

Login to Send PM

So to clarify, you saw the 2 live bugs on it while it was still in the basement correct? When you transferred it into the basement from the garage, did you pass through the upstairs of the house and did you have it wrapped or anything? If not, there's a risk that you may have dropped a few along the way too. As far as traveling from the basement upstairs in 6 days, I'll let the experts handle that. The fact that you saw them means they were definitely coming out of hiding since they were in a new warmer environment so I suppose it's possible that they left the chair and could be in the basement or other places in the house. Do you have monitors upstairs? If not, it would be a good idea to get them to catch them early if they are there. One more question. You said the chair was "threaded twice". I assume that was supposed to be "treated". At what point was the chair treated? In the garage? It's usually not necessary to throw out furniture unless it's really infested. Although chairs are more difficult to treat and require more time because of the hiding places and the thick fabric and padding they have throughout, it can be done. We were able to rid them from my mom's recliner.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. Stable19

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 6 2019 10:26:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for responding. Yes, I meant treated. Treated once in house and once outside. It did not go through our upstairs as our garage is connected to our basement. I have been checking everywhere and can’t find any evidence but know that does not mean anything. I was just curious how far the bbs will actually travel. I tend to think the worst and am automatically thinking they are back upstairs. I hate getting rid of the chair but I am just afraid I will constantly assume they are still in there. How long did you go before you assumed you were bb free? I’ve read 3 weeks and up to 3 months? I am going to look into monitors, thank you for the suggestion and the help.

4. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 6 2019 12:38:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugs can travel through an apartment building, for example, if they get desperate enough for food, even going through to units above and below or next to where they originated so it's possible. In 6 days, they might not have explored that far but since they were also starved for several weeks prior to that in the garage, they might, so best to monitor. Passive monitors properly placed are regularly checked would be most effective and climb ups are useful too. You don't always have to put them on the feet of furniture but simply next to it would give you some indication of activity. I admit that I thought about giving up on her chair a couple of times because it was the last battle ground of the war but they eventually died off after steaming, spraying, and cimexa and several weeks of occasional bites. If you want to starve them out, you'd have to keep the chair in your garage for over a year. No activity for 8 weeks is usually safe to declare victory.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,575 posts in 48,150 topics over 149 months by 21,216 of 21,570 members. Latest: Lh0512, patmc3853, stennisplayer07