Possible to smell BB with no signs?

(6 posts)
  1. Eli4s

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 14 2019 13:41:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Lately I've been smelling something strange in my house, hard to describe. It's almost like body odor but also musty. I wouldn't say it smells like the typical smell you see mentioned online. I've had some suspected bites which I mention in another post, but I haven't found anything or any signs of bugs.
    I'm just curious, would I be able to detect a smell from them but at the same time, see no signs of anything?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Sep 14 2019 14:21:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While it is possible to smell bedbugs in a room like a sommelier you need to train you sense of smell to detect it.

Without training and acclimatization you are unlikely to be able to detect it.

You are more likely to find signs through monitoring than smell or visual inspection in low level infestations.

For the record I am one of only 3 or 4 people have have proved they are accurate at scent detection.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 2:01:45
    #

Login to Send PM

One question David. How big where the infestations, that you could smell them?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 4:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have detected down to a single bedbug. I specifically asked for the room to be isolated from air circulation and 6 hours later cracked the door, sniffed predicted between 1 and 5 bedbugs and found a single male that had fed 3 times within 15 minutes.

The room had been treated six times by a well known company.

In other cases it’s more obvious because there are more bedbugs and to some extent the smell of blood creates a metallic sensation in my mouth which is easy to detect. However just like a sommelier or perfumer you learn to detect small changes in odor as you become sensitive to the unique elements.

As such there is a difference between the smell of bedbugs in harbourage mode versus alarm pheromone or feeding / mating frenzy.

Scents and scent cones and how odors dissipate in rooms is a fascinating if not niche subject but not many can spend the time to develop those skills. In my case they are a side effect of other spectral issues but a good example of an odd shaped peg finding an appropriate shaped hole.

David

5. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 5:51:17
    #

Login to Send PM

That make sense. My guess would have been that persons which never had bed bugs couldn‘t differentiate bed bug smell from other odors because well, you need to know the smell.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 6:16:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While it’s always possible it’s unlikely that they would be able to associate it without the reference point being in place. That said a sommelier or perfumer would be more likely to detect it than those who were less acute. Also I have met others with synesthesia who can tune it.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,696 posts in 50,018 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur