Possible Success Story - Moving after Heat Treatment

(6 posts)
  1. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Apr 25 2018 19:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

In mid-Feburary, I started noticing strange bites on my arm in the classic bed bug lines. Lo and behold in early March, my roommates re-discovered bed bugs in their bedroom. We had a case of them almost a year ago and tackled it with heat treatment, but my roommates didn't realise there was a hole in the way directly behind their bed. We think either they got re-introduced (since the bed bugs were in a different room this time than before) or they escaped the heat treatment through that hole in the wall.

I still had mattress covers around my box-spring and bed from the last time, so I pulled my bed away from the wall, bought new ClimbUp interceptors for the feet of my mattress cover and hot washed/dried all my bedding.

This time we went with a different PCO from before. While the first PCO had amazing yelp reviews, they simply rolled in heaters, heated the apartment, and did nothing else. The second PCO had very poor reviews, yet did much more.

They opened all of our dresser drawers (and warned us about this beforehand so we wouldn't be surprised) and pulled out all of our clothing placing it one giant pile. They also pulled unzipped and opened all of my luggage, throwing it onto the pile to be heated. Every 15 minutes, they would take clothing from the bottom of the pile and place it on top of the pile and used a heat sensor to make sure all of the clothing in the pile was thoroughly treated. They used liquid treatment on the floor of the closet and applied chemicals to our carpet for any bed bugs missed during the heat treatment.

When I got home almost 6 hours after the heat treatment had concluded, my clothes in the clothing pile were still warm, which I took as a good sign. I used painter's tape to tape over all unused outlets and the seams of them (because we had concerns they were in the walls) and kept my bed where it was, far from the walls. I operated under the assumption that I still might have bed bugs and didn't want to take risks.

My roommates and I decided to move because of various other horrible conditions with the apartment and the fear that the bed bugs this time may have come from another unit. So a week later I moved away to my own studio. I washed and dried all of my clothing again and all of my bedding, placing them either in sealed garbage bags or cardboard boxes wrapped in plastic wrap to prevent bed bugs from crawling inside. A few days after I finished moving, I applied CimeXa under my bed (which is on the floor) and into the cracks/crevices of the baseboards around my apartment.

I became nervous because I was getting bites, but they did not look anything like the bed bug bites I had before. I know bed bug bites can look or react differently depending on different factors, so I eventually caved and hired a company that uses dogs to sniff out for bed bugs. The dog arrived today and both the dog and his handler (who was doing careful visual inspections) could not find anything. I told the handler about my bites and he suggested that based upon their location and frequency, that I might possibly have mites instead - especially as there were zero physical signs of bed bugs and I have white sheets/new white furniture.

I am very cautiously considering this a success, though I'll keep monitoring and will come back again on the 60 day mark to update.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Apr 29 2018 20:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck LittleRin, and please do come back and update us.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 5 2018 0:18:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm feeling pretty anxious. I vacuumed and cleaned up the Cimexa from my apartment, because I think I applied too much and it was drying out my eyes.

Then my former-roommates called me on monday to let me know they found an adult bed bug sitting on their carpet. Today, I found out they discovered two more. We'd never actually seen them anywhere in our old apartment except when we first found them in my roommate's old mattress.

I know the Bed Bug dog cleared me of bed bugs and the handler said I might just have mites, but I'm still so scared. The dog seemed distracted when it first came in due to my cat's toys that I'm worried he might not have been focused enough to find bed bugs. I'm going to take my cat to the vet to check for fleas are mites on the 14th, and to check on a strange lump I found on his neck - but if the vet doesn't find anything, I'm thinking of hiring a different bed bug dog from another company just for the second opinion and peace of mind.

4. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 19 2018 3:40:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Update. Turns out the mystery bites were definitely fleas. The apartment building had an infestation of them in the laundry room.

I never thought I'd be so glad to catch a flea in the act biting me. It really helped cement the idea that bites alone are not a great indicator of bed bugs and that I had to find the culprit. I still sometimes check for bed bugs and still have bed covers and Climbups on my bed just in case. But so far, so good.

5. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 20 2018 2:14:24
    #

Login to Send PM

It's officially month 3. Still no sign of any bed bugs. I think I'm finally free for certain. I'm so relieved and thankful for all the information I learned from this website. Thank you so much!

There were so many tips I learned here that I used to help keep myself safe, and give myself some peace of mind.

6. previouslymental

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 6 2018 19:09:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I am currently in the process of moving away from an apartment after finding a single bed bug. I ignorantly set off a bug bomb because I had fleas as well and thought why not kill both bugs with one bomb. (big mistake) Now I am paranoid they are in everything so I have made the (panicked) decision to move. I want to thank you for coming back on the site to share your success. I am absolutely terrified of bringing these beasts with me to my new place and am basically treating everything possible with a heat treatment from a pco, drying all laundry (twice), and placing everything else in a big ziploc bag with nuvan strips for at least a month (maybe two). I've been reading a lot of horror and doom in different stories and it is good to hear someone moved successfully.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg