(5 posts)
  1. Bradwantsnobugs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Apr 24 2010 15:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey everybody,

I've been looking all over the internet and this seems to be a good place to start.

I'm a college student living in a 100 year old house. I've lived here for 7 months without incident. Recently I've become suspicious of bed bugs.

I woke up one morning with three bites on my body. One on the back of each knee, and one on the back of my elbow. These bites were isolated, single bites, itched and went away in a day or two. I went a couple days without incident. Then while at work, I noticed a couple bumps on the back of my other elbow, but they did not itch. So in total, I've only found 5 bites/bumps on in the last couple weeks, one on the back of each one of my arm/leg joints.

That wasn't enough for me to immediately think it was beg bugs, however, this afternoon I was sitting in bed watching TV when I noticed a small bug on my pillow. I captured it and put it in a sealed glass to examine. Comparing to pictures on the internet, it looks an awful lot like a bed bug, but I can't be 100% sure on that as it does look a little different.

After discovering the bug and doing a little research, I tore my bed and room apart looking for more signs. I found nothing on the matress or box spring, no more bugs, carcasses or black specs. I'm still very cautious as the house is 100 years old and the bugs could be hiding between the floor boards, in the walls, in pretty much every inch of the house.

I called my girlfriend, who sleeps in the bed with me. She hasn't had any itchy bites but once I mentioned it to her she said she had two, non-itching bumps on her foot, but that could be anything. My other roommate who lives accross the living room has no signs whatsoever.

So now what do I do? I wish I could upload a picture of the bug but it's so damn small (probably 1 mm in length) but it looks just like it (ribbed back, brownish color, 6 legs). I don't have the money to pay for an exterminator or even so have someone come diagnose the problem, because like I said, I'm a college student.

I'm starting to get the creepy crawlys and constantly think there is a bug on me, even when I'm at work. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

2. EnvirocarePestControl

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Apr 24 2010 20:33:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I would purchase a "climb up interceptor" it is a small plastic device that you put at the legs of your bed. What it does is it captures any bed bugs attempting to get onto your bed. This will give you a more accurate confirmation that there is a problem. They can easily be found on the internet by google or yahoo. Pricing is about $50.00

Another approach can be to schedule a K9 inspection. They usually run between 350-500 dollars depending on the size of the apartment. Dogs have been proven to be 90% accurate in detecting bed bugs because bed bugs let off a secretion that only a dog could smell. If you need any guidance in this regards please send me an email and I can help you out.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Apr 25 2010 0:55:23
    #

Login to Send PM

You should read the FAQ on Detection.

Some of the methods are cheap -- like ClimbUps and Bed Bug Beacon. Others not.

A k9 inspection as Envirocare suggests (we have a FAQ on that) can be useful if a visual confirmation of alerts is provided, but will cost hundreds of dollars.

(Envirocare, since you apparently have a k9, disclosing this would probably be a good thing.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. so unsettling

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 19 2010 19:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Envirocare Pest Control,

I am very uncomfortable with this dog thing, especially given the price. It should not be necessary to bring in a dog to prove what is all too obvious, stains or crap or live bugs visibile or not.

A few years from now we will all be reading about all the methods and gadgets that turned out to be too pricey for what they were worth. And sometimes even unnecessary, much like the 2 hour drying sessions of yesteryear.

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 22 2010 11:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Please elaborate – what do you mean by "the 2 hour drying sessions of yesteryear". Is that some kind of treatment that used to be recommended for bed bugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,406 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams