(3 posts)
  1. worry-wart

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 0:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

hello all;

i am posting here out of concern that i might have brought bed bugs to my home.
    last monday night (6/17) i noticed a triangular cluster of large bug bites on my right knee, and the following morning woke up to several spaced out bites on my legs. a total of 6 bites in all. none following the linear bite pattern that seems to be text book for bed bugs, but still raised concern for me as i had unwisely entered a friends house with an infestation the previous sunday to help them prep for an upcoming chemical treatment from a pco.

i took some precautions (running clothes through dryer, spraying self with alcohol prior to leaving) to avoid bringing them back home with me, but the bites freaked me out. in spite of the lack of bites, this past week left me incredibly anxious and with many sleepless nights. i put my mattress+pillow in encasements, started bagging up my belongings, spreading diatomaceous earth around my bed frame, in the crevices of the bed frame and religiously changing my sheets each morning and running them threw the dryer.. not to mention that i have been going to bed at night armed with a flashlight and a spray bottle loaded with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

the first morning after i put on the encasement i noticed what looked like some black specks sitting on the new encasement at the foot of my bed after i removed my sheets. my heart sank as it looked very much like photos i had seen of their droppings. (link of the photo is at the end of this post). hoping it is nothing, but who knows, can't hurt to see if someone out there knows better than i do.

its been roughly over a week and have no new bites (neither has anyone else in my house), nor have i seen any critters on my mattress or bed frame other than some carpet beetles which show up at my home every summer. my hope is that those first bites were just from mosquitos or some other benign creature, and that my imagination has gotten the better of me.

however, just now as i pulled some things from the dryer noticed this shedding in the lint trap. i realize it may not be totally clear, but if anyone might have an idea that would be hugely helpful in putting my mind at ease (or sounding the alarm and taking action if such is the case).

possible exoskeleton?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98029279@N03/9139358609/

fecal remains?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/98029279@N03/9139358823/

also; have a couple clarifying questions about their behavior as i have read all sorts of information on them from various sources and just looking to be more concise with what i know to be true about them at this point.
    - how long does it take for their eggs to hatch?
    - does having carpet beetles rule out the possibility that you are hosting bedbugs? can they coexist?
    - do bedbugs only feed on exposed skin (as in; are they incapable of crawling under clothing being worn to feed)? and will they avoid biting the scalp?

truly appreciate any answers or insights into my queries/photos!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 5:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Skin not BB related and faecal is also not BB related.

Eggs take between 10 - 14 days to hatch in "normal" temperatures.

Yes bedbugs can also occur in locations with carpet beetles, they are however unrelated issues to each other.

It is more that bedbugs seek the first exposed skin as a target rather than enduring the obstacle course of crawling under clothes. They are more than capable of doing so but they way they seek food means they are extremely unlikely to do so.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. worry-wart

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 26 2013 11:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

david, thank you for taking the time to look at the photos and answer my questions. i do appreciate it very much!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,396 posts in 50,186 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123