Possible fecal - photos - experts please ID

(13 posts)
  1. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 8:42:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone. I found this mark under my couch pillow today. It is shiny black and smeared with just my finger and saliva. The smear on the q-tip was yellow. My blood test kit is on order and I don't think I can wait 5-7 days to find out if this could be fecal. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 8:46:05
    #

Login to Send PM

3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 8:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi soooconfused,

I would say that it is distinctly possible that that came from a bedbug. As has been said before, there are other insects about that produce very similar marks, so no guarantees.

In your position I would be thinking about placing a passive monitor or two on the couch. I would also give it a thorough visual inspection. This will probably involve lifting the couch onto it's back to that you have good access to the legs and underside.

Good luck!

4. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 8:59:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your reply Richard. I do have a passive on the couch which remains clear. I inspected the couch underside, legs, etc. and did not find anything, only that one spot.

5. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 16:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Good news. My blood test kit came in this afternoon and I tested the spot both on a cotton swab and on the actual spot and according to the kit it is not blood. I'm assuming the negative reaction means that it is not fecal. Am I correct?

6. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 17:00:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I would really like to hear the answer to that myself. What kit did you use? I hear lots of people use them but I'm surprised there is anything sufficiently resembling blood to be picked up on a test swab after it has been through the digestive system of a bedbug. I'm also surprised that the kits can distinguish the faeces of bedbugs from those of spiders or flies, which can appear identical in ever other respect.

Has anyone out there tested these kits on the faeces of anything other than bedbugs for comparison? Do they really detect the digested blood in bedbug faeces?

7. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 17:23:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard.

The test was recommended to me by 2 posters. It doesn't test specifically for fecal, but it rules out the presence of blood in a sample. There is a thread where Killer Queen and Lou Sorkin also talk about the test entitled:

Test Kit for Fecal Stains? For the pros? Anyone?

I would link it for you, but I don't know how. The link to purchase the test is on that thread. Hope this helps.

8. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 17:36:59
    #

Login to Send PM

9. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 17:58:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, I just read that and it seems they are pretty reliable. Nobody seems to have tested it against fecal material of other insects. It shouldn't react if the insect didn't feed on blood, but since I don't know exactly how the kit works, it's a control I'd like to see.

10. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 3 2011 18:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I just found this wiki on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastle-Meyer_test#Limitations

It seems the kit will give false positives to a few things. I can't find any reference to it reacting to hemocyanin. This is the insect equivalent of hemoglobin, which is what the kit is designed to detect. If it does react to hemocyanin one might expect false positives to feces of insectivorous insects and arachnids.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2011 12:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its certainly appears more likely to be faecal material than the other images you have posted in the past.

I would be looking around that area for other signs of activity. Under the pillow itself is an odd location for it though, you usually find faecal material either close to the feeding location (where the material has been micturated) or close to the refugia. So from that perspective appearance is right but location is slightly odd.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  12. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2011 7:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response David. Do you have an opinion on the fact that the presumptive blood test came out negative? I inspected the couch and outlets around it and did not find any other evidence. I also have a BB Alert Passive on the couch that has been in place for a couple of months which is still clear. I will also note that the stain was removed completely with the blood test.

13. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2011 9:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, Richard. This was one thing I didn't question so much, as it has been discussed a lot here. I originally found the link for the tester in a post by one of the experts here.

Someone did advise me about that, though--That a test coming up positive doesn't necessarily prove that it was from a bed bug; just that blood is present. On the other hand, I had taken for granted that negative meant negative. Either way, it is simply another tool for the endless detective work we do.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,922 posts in 50,063 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned