Possible Bites in Hotel: Action Plan

(4 posts)
  1. ItchyCincy

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Feb 20 2013 19:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I just got home from a business trip, and found what are possibly BB bites, although I can't be sure. There is a cluster of 5 hives on my stomach, and 2 others nearby. I can't see any kind of prick in the middle of them and they don't itch (right now), but just in case I'm being really careful not to have brought any BB home.

-When I got to the hotel I checked the room very thoroughly, following David Cain's video. My only issue was that the headboard and wall art were attached and couldn't be removed, so I pulled the bed away from the wall. I didn't find anything and was mostly satisfied the room was safe. I'd also checked the hotel on tripadvisor and bedbufregistry, and it didn't have any reports.
    -I have a hard case suitcase with no zipper, all my belongings inside were in ziplock bags, and I'd invested in a Packtite.
    -I kept the suitcase away from the wall, on the luggage rack which I also checked. Everything stayed inside the zipocks unless I was using or wearing it.
    -Nothing happened the first night.
    -Last night was the second night, and I didn't see anything when I woke up and showered. But because I'm being careful, I stripped right when I got home later today and noticed the "hives"/possible bites.
    -Everything that could be washed went right into the washer on the hot cycle then dried until I measured 120F with an instant read thermometer, then dried for another 2 cycles. Except for the clothes I slept in last night which stayed in the ziplock and got thrown out. I checked the shirt which is a light blue color and didn't see any blood spots.
    -The suitcase, my laptop bag, purse, and everything else that can be heated are in the Packtite right now.
    -Everything that couldn't be washed/dried or Packtited (mainly electronics, medicine containers) got rubbed down with 91% Isopropyl alcohol.
    -Mopped the floor where I unpacked with bleach and hot water.

Now I'm just trying to just be calm, be confident I'm taking the right steps, and get some sleep tonight!

I'm also dealing with a carpet beetle problem and generated quite a lot of static stripping and unpacking, so that could have caused the irritation. They are in the same spot as when I was regularly breaking out in hives from the beetle hairs. I also am SO paranoid that I'm open to the possibility of these being stress hives or something. But I'm going through all the steps just in case. Wish me luck!

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 21 2013 8:55:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck!

I've been having trouble with headboards and pictures too.

I bring a trash bag and keep my suitcase in it both at home..even after packtiting...and at hotel.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 21 2013 14:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

@ItchyCincy, sounds like you've done everything that you can do. The wait and see part is rough though. The only other thing I would suggest would be BB Alert Passive Monitors. They are great to have in place all the time anyway for peace of mind and for early detection (and, hopefully, easier elimination).

@TAOT, I do the same thing....keep all suitcases in trash bags at hotel, packtite when home, and back into trash bags for storage After every trip, I treat all our stuff as though we were exposed to bb's. Overkill....probably. Does it make me feel....absolutely!!

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Feb 21 2013 23:41:50
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a FAQ on what to do if you think you were exposed (in the TRAVEL FAQS) and a section of the FAQs on getting bed bugs out of your stuff.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs