Possible Bites and next course of action

(3 posts)
  1. Bedbug33

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 21:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, I would like some assistance in identifying the attached picture as bedbug bites. I am about 90% sure they are after I have done some online research. Now for some background information on my situation.

I first found a bed bug about 3.5 weeks ago. It was in the morning and I found it sitting on the bed. I took a pic and killed it. The PCO was sent the pic and identified it as a bed bug and set an appointment to spray. We cleaned and bagged everything in the apartment (I live in a studio) and the PCO came to spray a few days after we notified the landlord.

Since the spraying I have been obsessive with checking the bedspread for bugs. Every night before bed, in the morning, sometimes in the middle of the night and have found no evidence of bedbugs. This evening I found the attached picture of bites on my wife and I think the bedbugs are still around 3 weeks later although I have not seen one.

I was thinking my next course of action would be to get an encasement for both the mattress and box spring. I would like to avoid having the PCO come again to spray since we may have to bag and clean everything in the apartment again (especially difficult since we have to drag everything to the laundromat several blocks away). Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Link to image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91448520@N04/8302611014/

2. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 23:20:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the PCO not mention coming back for a second spray? What he kills is contact and cannot kill the eggs.. They hatch later (about a week to 10 days) and you would then start with the new ones. Its been 4 months and my son still lives out of bags, we all do. i only ever wash and use the sheets that are on the bed, nothing out of closets. i take off my socks and change before even sitting on the bed. Nothing in the drawers yet. i vacuum and steam almost daily. its a long process but every step is important .
    There is a heap of helpfully info on here !!!!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 23 2012 23:52:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbug33,

Sorry, but you can't determine if you have bed bugs from a skin reaction. You can't even determine if the skin reaction is from bed bugs. Even if a doctor does a skin scraping, my understanding is they may only be able to tell you if the skin reaction is from an insect bite, not whether it's from bed bugs.

If you want to determine if you have bed bugs, monitors may help. You should read the first four faqs here, paying special attention to information about detection and to the bed bug photo gallery. You're looking for bed bugs, fecal stains (often the first thing people notice), cast skins or eggs.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88